Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A thought for a new Registry feature

How about dynamic evolving display option for every set? Pick a set that you are going to compete in as composed by PCGS but then add as many 'display' entries as you like for people to view right along with your competition coins. Got a duplicate that you just can't bring yourself to sell? Display it alongside your higher graded piece. Got five different coins of a certain date because you are just flat out nuts? Display them ALL! Want your chopmarked coin to show right next to your non chopmarked? Go for it! Your PO-01 next to your MS68? Yessirreee!

In other words, merge the Collector's Showcase feature with the regular competitive Set Registry. Don't ask me to program it - I'm just the idea guy!

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! It might encourage to buy more PCGS-graded coins and send more for grading.
  • Options
    Isn't that what a showcase is for? My set is no less a set just because it doesn't conform to a preconceived PCGS set definition but with showcases I get to define it as I chose, I think that's what you are talking about isn't it?. While I have some competitive sets I don't really care about them and put must of my effort into my showcase. That said I might change my mind if I had a better collection and competive odds.

If there are going to be competive sets by definition there has to be rules and that doesn't lend it's self to flexibility.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't that what a showcase is for? My set is no less a set just because it doesn't conform to a preconceived PCGS set definition but with showcases I get to define it as I chose, I think that's what you are talking about isn't it?. While I have some competitive sets I don't really care about them and put must of my effort into my showcase. That said I might change my mind if I had a better collection and competive odds.

If there are going to be competive sets by definition there has to be rules and that doesn't lend it's self to flexibility. >>

It doesn't change the rules for a competitive set - it just changes the display. Yes, it's a competitive showcase essentially.
  • Options
    I just realized I have been lured away from the safety of the is coin forum. I am scared and headed back to the crazies

I will say though that PCGS seems to have their hands full with just keeping the coins that qualify for which set and their weighting let alone the new sets they roll out every so often. I don't think they have a core programmer to make the portal based config changes you are recommending. Outside of admin style configuration, PCGS doesn't seem to ever change the guts of their operations software.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no! Just what I need is an incentive to keep dups... image
    Actually that`s a very cool idea TDN... I like it

ABimage
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea to me 🍻 You could build a type set and then throw in a few major varieties as well...

One other thing, I think ATS they have awards for "Best Custom Sets", so maybe a "Best Showcase" Award would be kinda cool....
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!

I do this by adding photos of my other coins, but I hate the clutter.

For instance: My Small Cent Type Set. Right now, the registry only requires nine coins to complete this set. Personally, I collect all types as they are distinguishable from each other. For example, why is there no VDB required as a distinct type in the wheatback spot? The 7070 requires it. Why either Type 1 or Type 2 bronze IHC? Shouldn't both be required? Copper vs. Zlincoln anyone? Heck, you could get picky and require a rounded and a pointed bust 1860 cent, or a SL and LL 1858 FEC. Once you start drilling down into the different types, you could make an argument for a set that would be most likely 30 coins or more, and I'd like to own them all, including all proof and MS types, and display them in one great big set.

In fact, one day, I will. image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that too by adding extra photos of the other coins I wanted to include in my Registry Set. I wanted to include the various varieties of 1909 cents in my 1909 Mint Set and that was done by just uploading the extra photos. Apparently it didn't bother PCGS that I did that as my set won one of the Best of the Registry awards a couple of years ago after I had uploaded the multiple photos of the coins. You can see them in the 1909 Mint Set link below if you like image

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea. And, even better for insurance purposes or to document your coins to prevent theft.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Regards,
    Dolan
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be a good idea on many levels

grading
    rarity- to condition rarity
    possibly die marriages
    and the list seems to go on and on...

to even include non-recognized die varieties that can be added if for no other reason than to share...

Well done and seems to be an idea worthy of the most serious consideration

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just like a link that would pull in my showcase set that has my "non PCGS varieties" at the end of my "All dimes All varieties" set when viewed.image