Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1957 Ceylon 5 Rupees - 2,500 Years of Buddhism

Broke my new years resolution yet for a worthy cause. Modern 1957 crown yet really neat from Ceylon.

Called Sri Lanka today, when the British ruled the large island at the southern tip of Indian subcontinent it was called Ceylon. This 5 Rupee silver coin was issued under Queen Elizabeth II in 1957, while Ceylon was a British Commonwealth nation, on its way to the new Sri Lanka identity in 1972. The coin commemorates 2500 years of Buddhism, with prominent floral and zoological symbols.

KM# 126. Silver. Fineness 0.925. Actual Weight (oz.) 0.841. Diameter (mm.) 39. Design: B. R. Sindall

Obverse Description: Flowers and date at center, denomination at left
Reverse Description: 2500 within inner circle of flower, circle of animals surround, ducks encircle them

Mintage of 500,000 with 258,000 returned in 1962 to be melted at The Royal Mint

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big fan of these coins, I have one in my world crowns collection.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey that is really nice - love EVEVRyTHING about it - may you continue to break new year resolutions! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered when I read the title if you had the type I was thinking of, and you did.

Great coin. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Great catch Z! I think that the prices of coins from Ceylon will rise significantly in the coming years, and this one, because of its theme and condition, will probably become a best seller. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Let's hope it has become a best seller! I know I see them all the time on eBay, though not nearly this nice condition. And speaking of nice conditions for sale ...

FSHO on the BST: PR65DCAM
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE