Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

crack'em and submit'em.......... pcgs grades posted 6-7-14

recently purchased two nice Roosie's in new anacs holders, i think the grading is spot on but i want them in pcgs holders . hope i can receive the same grades at pcgs ? what do you think ?

1947s

1952s

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you sure did crack 'em good!

Coins look nice and I hope you get the grades you're hoping for.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy slabbing......I think you will get at least one.
    I think they both deserve it but the odds are that one will go 67....it's just the grading gameimage

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Judging by how those slabs ended up, I think someone might have some pent-up aggression toward ANACS!

Nice coins, I really like them both.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like anger problems with ANACS holders ?
    Good luck on your regrade !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I think the safer thing to do would be to cross at any grade, but that's just me.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both look 67 to me!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 52 may have the best shot.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    66+
    67FB
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    Larry...do not use dynamite to open slabs.....image
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Shane, i thought the dynamite would be fast and easy, but it kind of hurts ! i will try a cutting torch on the next slabs i crack (melt) .
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    They look great.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coins.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    What coppercolor said.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coins! To me both coins look 67 clean as best as I can tell from the pics... Perhaps the 47-S has better 7 luster though... Atleast looks that way from the pics on my puter... Good luck and hope you do well

ABimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just cracked out a few coins from those new ANACS holders.....what a beatch!

I used a bandsaw to cut the slab right along the label tip as did the OP.

Then I put the resulting coin portion without the header(label tip) in a vise.

This allowed me to take a small screw driver to fit in between the two halves and gently open the slab and remove the coin.

Then I took the 'header' portion and put it in the vise and used said small screw driver to remove the curved end 'header' insert.

The vise pressure allows the screw driver to be inserted easier.

The double sided label is sticky taped to the header.

I cannot remember a slab that difficult to crack.....anyone else have a tough crack out story?

'Header' insert
  • Options
    I just got some very pleasing grades back on some Roosevelt's yesterday, one being top pop. So if they look pretty good in hand, you have a fair shot with getting good grades from the graders. Good luck!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it and keep us posted!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the coins didn't get damaged with all the aggression directed toward those poor helpless slabs.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I just cracked out a few coins from those new ANACS holders.....what a beatch!

I used a bandsaw to cut the slab right along the label tip as did the OP.

Then I put the resulting coin portion without the header(label tip) in a vise.

This allowed me to take a small screw driver to fit in between the two halves and gently open the slab and remove the coin.

Then I took the 'header' portion and put it in the vise and used said small screw driver to remove the curved end 'header' insert.

The vise pressure allows the screw driver to be inserted easier.

The double sided label is sticky taped to the header.

I cannot remember a slab that difficult to crack.....anyone else have a tough crack out story?
    >>

GB, you did it the hard way. Wrap the slab in a towel, give the side edge a couple of firm raps with a good size hammer. You'll hear and feel when it cracks. Open the towel to see if enough was done. If not wrap it again and this time use the hammer on the opposite edge a couple of times. Takes about 30 seconds with 100% success rate.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad this post is over a year old and the OP never updated it. I'd be interested in seeing the results.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GB, you did it the hard way. Wrap the slab in a towel, give the side edge a couple of firm raps with a good size hammer. You'll hear and feel when it cracks. Open the towel to see if enough was done. If not wrap it again and this time use the hammer on the opposite edge a couple of times. Takes about 30 seconds with 100% success rate.

Now you tell me!!!! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice looking coins! To me both coins look 67 clean as best as I can tell from the pics... Perhaps the 47-S has better 7 luster though... Atleast looks that way from the pics on my puter... Good luck and hope you do well

ABimage >>

Yup.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My God you guys are nuts. What happened to grading the coin on its own merits???
    Doug
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    sorry I didn't update the results of the pcgs grades. both coins graded ms67 full bands as I had hoped. i had them trueviewed as well .

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congratulations. image I wondered what had happened with them.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and deserved.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful, way to go!!!
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking dimes!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how the pros do it! Nice!!