1969 topps

Hello,

Hey gem mint can you give me some info for 69 topp white letters I'm
going through a set at the moment and a ton of them are white lettered
I myself no nothing about 69's except these are worth more I believe. Does
the last name just need to be white. Any help will do thanks matt

Comments

• thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Matt - I don't follow the '69 Topps set, but I do know that it contains the tough white letter variations. The Mickey Mantle white letter variation is highly sought and very valuable. I know with the Mantle his entire name is in white...1969 Topps Mantle White Letters
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the first and last name need to be white. Most cards have either the first or last name white but not both. There are only certain cards that have white letter variations. Some of them from memory:

Mickey Mantle
    Willie McCovey
    Gaylord Perry
    Mel Stottlemyre
    Tony Gonzalez
    Ted Savage
    Joe Moeller

Check out the set registry composition. It lists those cards having a white letter variation.
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Gemmint

Yeah I looked at some of them on ebay. A group of commons sold at like 10 bucks a piece.
    On them the whole name wasn't white. Not sure I emailed gaspipe, he's the one to talk too.
    Anyways if the whole name doesn't need to be white I'm looking good. I'm half way through
    with about a hundred. Thanks for your time.

Mattimage
    Gemmint,

Thanks, Matt
  • Hi Matt,
    As someone that has done this set 3 times non-graded...will probably never do it graded.

Just finished the 61 set with 587 cards. A larger set would kill me...

Only 23 or 24 cards are white lettered cards. Here are the numbers.
    440 Willie Mc Covey(McCovey white), #441 Dennis Higgins (Higgins white), # 444 Joe Moeller (Moller white), # 447 Ralph Houk (Houk white), # 451 Rich Rollins (Rich & 3b white), # 452 Al Ferrara (Al & of white), # 454 Phillies Rookies Larry Colton&Don Money both (names in white), # 461 Mike Epstein (Epstein in white), # 464 Dave Marshall (Marshall in white), # 468, 470, 471, 473, 476, 482, 485 Perry,
    486, 491, 493, 500 Mantle, 501, 505, 511, I think that's all.

Best to check with Bob, (gaspipe)

mx'er

jml517-ebay

61 topps 100%
    looking for 63 topps in 7-8
    54 topps commons in 8, stars in 7.

Hi, The White Letters are cards that were printed for the rack pack run in 1969. Due to an ink problem the 23 cards were produced with both the first and last name in white lettering. To be a white letter BOTH names need to be white and they must be from the 23 I will list shortly. If you dont count the Mantle, there are less than 50 white letter cards to grade PSA 8 with no qualifiers, and only 1 to grade 9. Thats about an average of 2 each. The cards are plagued with offcenter problems and PD. I've been hunting these for 18 years and have 16 cards in 8. I've owned 2 other 8's that have passed to other collectors. I personally have only submitted 5 that have come back 8. I was fortunate enough to make the first Stottlemyre WL in 8 and sold it 5 years ago. I repurchased the same card last year for $1200.00. Another collector recently received an 8 , so now there are 2. McCovey #440 is another rare card in Yellow let alone White. The Pop report says 4 but I believe 1 card was resubmitted 3 times trying to get it in a 9. I really believe there are only 2. Al Ferrarra is only a Pop1 not a 2. I received a yellow letter card in 8 but it was labled White Letter. I returned it to PSA to have it labled correctly and they did but didnt subtract the card from the Pop Report. These WL are as rare as any variation in Topps history. I very very difficult task to assemble in EX let alone NRMT-MT. The WL cards are as follows:#440 McCovey, #441 Higgins, #444 Moeller, #447 Houk, #451 Rollins, #452 Ferrarra, #454 Phils Rookies, #461 Epstein, #464 Marshall, #468 Pirates Rookies, #470 Stottlemyre, #471 Savage, #473 Arcia, #476 Red Sox Rookies, #482 Gosger, #485 Perry, #486 Casanova, #491 Twins Rookies, #493 Parker, #500 Mantle, #501 Gonzales, #505 Bolin, and #511 Segui.
  • Bob,

Thanks for the info, no go here. I have found some really nice cards though. What do psa 8's
    in low pop for instance no 9's...Also I noticed nobody has graded a Collins, Ricketts or Corrales.
    The Collins has a great shot at making an 8. The other 2 will makes 7's. Are the 7's worth grading
    or is everybody just waiting for an 8.

Thanks, Matt
  • Ahhhh! Gaspipe's favorite subject! Kudo's, great explanation and I just loved your backround on the POP for these. Your set defines all on the WL. I am envious. Thanks for your help with some of the 7's you've supplied me over the years. Definitely really, really tough. I am 4 short of having all of them as graded examples in my set. The Mantle is just a matter of money. The others come along very infrequently.

Gator's - If you go through these and indeed some are legitimate White Letter Variations its a real nice find. We would love to know your results. I certainly would be interested in filling my holes with anything PSA 6 or better. (Just a shameless pitch.) :-)

RayB69Topps

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Oh yeah- My holes are:

470 Stottlemyre WL
    471 Savage WL
    476 Boston Rookies WL

500 Mantle is another story. You need plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

RayB69Topps
  • Ray,

Could you please respond to the last thread I wrote.

Thanks, Matt
  • Matt,

Any PSA 8 in Low POP will get plenty of play. The cards you mention especially. As far as 7's go there are some of us on the 69' registry that will chase these, especially when 8's are not available but your margin would be minimal.
    Good Luck!

RayB69Topps
  • There is a Mantle White Letter PSA-9 on Ebay now with a Buy It Now price of $19,500! That's a lot of money for a late 60's card...

And, the tiny print dot in the left border looks kinda big to me.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Robert,
    The WL Mantle is a beautiful card. The pinwheel is not uncommon on Mantle's in White or Yellow. I actually considered buying this card when Superior had it for $25000.00. It went in there Fall or Winter auction last year. I almost bid on it then except $'s were tight. I know what the card sold for and thats all I'll say on that. I will say its a 9 and if I didnt just buy a racehorse I might of bid on it.

Bob
  • Is it the scan or does the Mantle 9 have a stain on the left border?

Has anyone ever come across rack packs with white letter cards in them? I've never seen one and wonder if any exist. Just think what a rack with a perfectly centered white letter Mantle would go for!

I wish I paid more attention to the white letter variations over the past 15 years when I was combing through dealer stock. I probably passed on some of those future 8's because I thought $25 was too much to pay for a common. I did manage to get a Dalrymple variation and a Clendennon 'Expos' variation because they were mixed with the regular commons. Every dealer knew about the white letters so they never mixed those up. The Clendennon graded 8 and I just submitted the Dalrymple which has a good shot at an 8.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Sorry for the redundant question. I get too excited talking about the '69s and missed the post highlighting the dot. Please ignore the first sentance but feel free to comment on the rest of the post. image
  • 69topps8 - I also got my Dalrymple variation which is now a PSA 8 in an interesting way. A year or so ago Teletrade had a number of 69 team common lots advertised as NRMT/MT. The Phillies team lot caught my eye because it had #151 listed. Well if you didnt know that was the Dalrymple Variation this lot would not have stuck out from the others. It only listed the card numbers.
    Needless to say the approx 15 card lor went for like $15.00 or thereabouts and sure as the sun rises in the morning the Dalrymple Variation was there when I got the cards. The NRMT/MT representation was right on the (Don) money! The Dalrymple (the only card I was interested in) graded PSA 8 and took its rightful place in my set.
    RayB69Topps
  • I'm officially out of the 1969 topps set. I sold the entire set in a sale/trade the other day. It was amazing the response I had from a single post here on selling my 69 set. Good luck to everyone else building this set. I guess that I won't be fighting over any of those psa 9 white letter cards in the future.image

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
    I would sell my set in a minute minus the White Letters if the price is right. I dont think I could ever sell those whites unless the offer blew me out of the water.

Bob
  • I would have a hard time parting with my set. On the surface it seems like a fairly obtainable set but some of the low pop commons are down right tough to find. I have too much effort invested in it at this point to ever recoup by selling it.
    Hello,

You guys are awesome, my last question is about card #47 popovich.
    I'm looking at the one with no emblem on the helmet. It's just dark with
    no team name. Is that it. If it is what's it worth. Razors all the way
    around and clean. Yet off centered. 9oc I'd bet.

Thanks, Matt
  • If you can't see a faint emblem on the helmet then that's the more common "no emblem" version. The emblem version was not completely airbrushed out which caused the team emblem to faintly bleed through.

I can tell you this from viewing the scans on the registry. On mine if I
    shudder the card in the light somthing is visible that looks like a symbol
    and their is a little purple that seem to come through. On the scan on
    registry it just looks black..Is it distinct like I'd be able to see it just from
    looking at the card at normal distance.
    thanks, matt
  • Yes, you would be able to see it without much difficulty. It sounds like you have the non-emblem version.

Thanks for your help, like I said earlier I know nothing of the 69's. As for the card
    I thought I should check. If I hold it in the light and shudder it I can see like a figure
    8 or an s and at the front of the helmet in the black some nicks of white show up.

thanks again..
  • Gators5 - Will you be grading to start your own set or to sell off the nice material you have found? I am a 69' lifer and have loved every minute of it. It's a fun set. Good luck either way.
    RayB69Topps
    I'll be grading about 25 to probably sell but I'm not sure what anything will even bring. I pulled all the low pop
    commons with no 9's. I could have a shot for a couple of 9's alot of 8's. A few cards nobody has even
    graded yet and might make 8's. I pulled about 100 crisp cards to keep for the future the rest are being listed
    tonight as a starter set. I'm trying to conquer the 78's. Thanks matt
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    what's your ebay name Matt?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    gator05
  • Gaspipe, you disappoint me. No one in their right mind would choose a race horse over a 1969 Mantle WL. You really need to get your priorities in order.
    1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer
    If it was only 1 I would not have even thought about it, but I now have 4 and will have a 5th on Wed. I'm already moving on the new set and will be up near 20 % in a week or two.
  • Gaspipe - I opened a 1969 rack pack a couple years ago from the series the white letters come in. I got a number of the variation cards, but all were of the common non-white letter variety. I've seen a number of white letters with wax stains on the reverse, so those would have had to come out of wax packs. There never has been any significant chunk found, aka "find", so any sort of vending run is out of the question. I don't know for sure what all they came from, or why they exist in the first place, but they didn't make too many.
    I saw a rack back in the mid 80's that had 2 WL on top. I also was told by a longtime Topps distributor that the WL came in the racks on a short run. I'm sure some could have gone to wax, but I've never had one with a wax stain on it.