Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Set Registry Stupidity

Does PSA ever reject a set request because it's simply ridiculous to request (or at least ridiculous to request at that time)???

I often go to the Set Request page to see what sets will be coming online in the coming weeks and/or months. Many times I'm intrigued... Many times I laugh hysterically...

Today, I see this near the bottom of the list

Gerrit Cole Master Set

The guy is a prospect, and granted a highly regarded prospect... but he's got a handful of prospect cards and has pitched 0.0 innings in the Major Leagues.

So, yeah, let's request the creation of his "Master Set"?!?!?!?!?!

Personally, I really think PSA needs a rule about Master Sets and Basic & Collector Issues Sets for current players... perhaps, must have played for 5 years, 7 years, 10 years, some set number of years before they'll create such a set composite.

This is one area that PSA is extremely lazy with respect to the PSA Set Registry. People need to realize that once the set is started, PSA will only update on a card-by-card basis... if you already own that new card in a PSA holder. Such a set, started now, will never be a true, accurately reflected set. I mean, jeez, Jason Heyward was all the rage in 2010... 2013 Topps just hit the streets this week! The Jason Heyward Basic Set still sits at 2 cards in the composite... not updated in 3 years!!!

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a Pirate fan I'd think twice about investing in him. I'm sure they'll ruin his arm with hippie SWAT training drills.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    What's wrong with people creating sets of players they are interested in? If someone is a big Gerrit Cole fan, or thinks he's going to be amazing, why shouldn't they be able to create a set?

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I've never understood the argument against creating new sets for the registry. There's no limit to the number of sets in the registry. If someone wants a set for Baseball Players who have first names that sound like pasta shapes, then so be it. It doesn't take away my enjoyment of the sets I'm interested in participating in.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    This is not an arguement against creating new sets... by all means, create away folks!

My biggest complaint is... I hate PSA's stance on set maintenance. I hate that once a set is established, they won't even take into consideration a "once-a-year" policy of updating non-current composites. I've brought this up with them many times in the past. Their position is that once a set composition is created, they will only add new cards to the composite when they've been specifically requested by a set participant who owns a slabbed copy of the card.

Given that this is PSA's long standing position, the likelihood of any "large" registry set (IE. Master Set, Master Topps Set, Basic & Collector Issues Set, etc.), created before a player is retired, ever being a complete & correct composition is very, very, very close to 0%!!!

People request the sets in the first place... so that would seem to imply interest. But how many sets get created and no one ever registers a set (even the requestor)? How many times have people created a set, several people work on it, but nobody ever sees to the composite being correctly updated?

The Jason Heyward Basic Set is a perfect example. I requested and have since gave up on it. I see there are still many people "working" on it. I use the term "working" loosely... as it should today be 7 to 9 cards in size... but it still stands at a composite of 2, since the day it was created in 2010!!! It's easy to say, "so what", but people get little icon's for knowingly B.S. sets... and then PSA freely (cash out of their pocket) will sent them a yearly certificate for that, and recognize their set(s) on the Awards page, etc.

Basically, if people are going to be lazy... and PSA is going to be lazy... yes, I think it's stupid that PSA allows such "potentially" large sets from being created so early in a players career (and in this case, before their MLB career has even started)!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    PSA doesn't just send out certs anymore, you have to request it. I'm sure the # of people that actually request a certificate is minimal. As far as the sets like the Heyward....who cares? It's not like someone requested a massive set (let's say a Griffey master didn't exist) and PSA did work to compile it and get it online and then sat empty. Now THAT would be a bit irritating, but a puny 2 card set....BFD.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I guess I had better deep six my request for a Roughned Odor master set
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bish, you crack me up
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set