Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think there is a quote that goes something like.. [Error Coins within]

"One is an oddity, two or more is a collection"? Something along those lines anyway. I guess now I am a collector of Canadian 1 cent errors image

I picked up this a couple years ago, a 1999 Canadian 5c struck on a Canadian 1c (copper plated zinc) planchet. You can see areas where the stress of the striking caused the 1 cent to try to expand to fit the size of a nickel die, leaving gaps in the plating and showing the zinc underneath. Very cool since Canada only used copper plated zinc planchets for pennies from 1997 until 2003. For 2004 onward they changed to copper plated steel.

I never really was into errors even after getting this piece. Then last week I bought a small collection that had these two in it, along with an unstruck 1980s penny planchet.

Dateless (1982-1989 based on weight and obverse design) Canada 25 cents struck on a Canadian 1 cent copper planchet (2.55g, non-magnetic). The slightly gimpy shape from 2 oclock to 6 oclock on the reverse is from the 12-sided shape of the penny planchet that didn't reach the edge of the die.

1980 Canada 1 cent struck on an ultra thin planchet? Weighs 0.4 grams. I don't know enough about the minting process to explain it. The best way I'd be able to explain this piece is that it was struck from an extremely thin planchet (less than 16% of the proper weight), giving it almost no strike. The planchet then waffled/buckled under the pressure of the die, causing the ripple.

Same coin on top of a regular 1 cent of the same type.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are neat. I like the first one (the "six-cent" piece) the most.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Australian wrong planchet errors are very hot down here right now image
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just seeing this now as I did a search, didn't find what I was after, but this is cool image

Curious what the overall diameter of the 5c on a 1c planchet is expansion wise as it was multi-struck a minimum of 3 times without rotation. The dies clashed too as you can see Elizabeth has the tail of the beaver in her face.

The 25c on the copper 1c planchet is really neat too.

Sorry to report as although the top two are legit mint errors the third is PDM... Post Mint Damage. Someone dropped the 1980 1c in acid, neutralized it, bent it back and forth, and dropped it in acid a second time until the stress of the creases smoothed out
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!