Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Guy Needs Some Advice

Hello Everyone

Some 25+ years ago I put my Washington qtr set in some clear holders, put them in an album and haven't looked at them for years. Got them out of the bank last week for a walk down memory lane and realized that several of them have acquired a greenish tint. I suspect it is PVC damage. 1940-1964 are all uncirculated and the pre 40 are vf-xf. I don't think I'll ever submit them for TPG, but would like to remove the PVC damage.

Would appreciate any guidance and/or advice y'all are willing to share.
I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Soak them all in a sealed container of acetone until the green tint dissolves. That should fix your problem. Make sure you get high-grade, pure acetone from home depot or something, it will come in a metal can of sorts. >>

This. The container better not be plastic---use glass. If there is extensive PVC, change the acetone a few times. Best to do this outside, away from any flames.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Thanks for the quick response. Do I need to rinse them off after using the acetone? what is the best way to store them for the future?

• << <i>

<< <i>Soak them all in a sealed container of acetone until the green tint dissolves. That should fix your problem. Make sure you get high-grade, pure acetone from home depot or something, it will come in a metal can of sorts. >>

This. The container better not be plastic---use glass. If there is extensive PVC, change the acetone a few times. Best to do this outside, away from any flames. >>

I used acetone back when I was repairing and refinishing persimmon golf clubs, and am familiar with its effect on plasticimage
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the quick response. Do I need to rinse them off after using the acetone? what is the best way to store them for the future? >>

Acetone has a high vapor pressure. No need to rinse IF you have already changed the acetone bath a few times and used high-quality acetone. If you buy cheap stuff, it will leave a residue upon drying.
    For the future, buy new coin flips---mylar, or anything not made of PVC. The problem with PVC is that, when it decomposes, it releases hydrochloric acid. The latter will etch the surface of any coin except one made of pure gold.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice handle...can't believe it wasn't taken! image Welcome and enjoy.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! You've got slime in your handle and on your coins.

What a coincidence. image

Lots of good information here regarding long term coin storage.
    You can use the search function (if it works with your browser) or just ask away.

• << <i>Nice handle...can't believe it wasn't taken! image Welcome and enjoy. >>

Thanks.

I was surprised too. I usually have to use some variation or even a different handleimageimage
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    PVC smells like the old slip covers and the plastic is soft
    LCoopie = Les
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • My son and I are currently doing the Wash Qrts. Would love to see some pics of the obvious choices after your green removal project. image
    At 47, I'm wondering why I'm one of the youngest people at stamp shows!!!!!
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,and imageto school! Listen to the wise.Many intelligent suggestions await you my friend.Eyes forward and NO chewing gum while in class! imageJust Kidding. Have fun,this is the most important aspect.Once again,image - joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Don't use the "pure" acetone from a hardware store, it is industrial grade and contains contaminants that may leave a residue on your coins. Go to your local pharmacy and see if they can order some analytical grade (e.g. HPLC grade) acetone. After the soak, rinse with fresh acetone and air dry. Pure, fresh acetone will not leave a residue. If you feel compelled, rinse with distilled water and carefully dry.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't use the "pure" acetone from a hardware store, it is industrial grade and contains contaminants that may leave a residue on your coins. Go to your local pharmacy and see if they can order some analytical grade (e.g. HPLC grade) acetone. >>

Correct. The acetone at your local hardware store isn't quite pure- you could try to use it, and in some cases you won't even notice the residue... but you can tell that its functionality isn't as high as people make it out to be. After all, it is a solvent, and it's supposed to give you nothing but the coin itself and itself only. For best results, either order some through a pharmacy, a lab, a warehouse, etc. In the meantime, the store-bought stuff might do the trick, but you may want to give the coin a quick dip in some distilled water to remove any chemical residue.

Oh... and welcome to the Forums.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Thanks for all of the welcomes and the advice. I think I'll check with my pharmacist as see if he can get some high grade stuff for me.

I'll try to post some before and after pictures on a couple of the quarters, but after seeing another post about needing something called photo bucket, I may need more help before I can post pictures.

as for the slime on my hands, I got the nickname from a bowling teammate who always groaned at the jokes I tell. On day he said you're just a slimedog and the name stuckimageimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the quick response. Do I need to rinse them off after using the acetone? what is the best way to store them for the future? >>

After soaking, I would suggest to get a clean new bottle like a Windex bottle and partially fill it with new clean acetone or rubbing alcohol. Hold the coin between the thumb and forefinger [wide stance, not the narrow one] and spray both sides with solvent from the spray bottle while holding the coin over a suitable container. You can dry the coins by placing them on a Kleenex. Be sure the acetone won't attack any parts of the spray bottle. Mylar flips would be the best way to store them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file