Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Latest CRO Coin Commentary...and it's about Colonials!

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was fun, thanks for linking!

and thanks to CRO for bringing some highlights to us with great commentary

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Then there was lot #11280, a 1788 Connecticut M.14.1-L.2 which looked like this:

And was described by the cataloger like this: “AU50." and "Technically barely worn, with significant remaining luster and extraordinary detail; indeed, by sharpness, this might be finest known. Alas, the planchet it was struck upon is little more than scrap, with a horizontal striation across the center so severe that it is a wonder the coin remains intact.”

It sold for $1,175, which surprised me - I actually thought it would sell for much more. I was however even more surprised that this coin survived lot viewing without being broken in half, since it seemed so fragile, was housed in a soft flip, and was yanked out of the box and viewed by hundreds of people, many of whom have enormous hands and are not very careful"

Enormous handsimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    that was fun, thanks for linking!

and thanks to CRO for bringing some highlights to us with great commentary
    . >>

Yes, I thought it was quite a good read...good enough to make a person think about collecting colonials.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, a good read.

BTW, I don't think that I will EVER get that desperate for a coin. It looks like it's been shot at, spit on, stomped on, and buried.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

<< <i>I agree, a good read.

BTW, I don't think that I will EVER get that desperate for a coin. It looks like it's been shot at, spit on, stomped on, and buried. >>

I was stunned to read the price it brought! image

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree, a good read.

BTW, I don't think that I will EVER get that desperate for a coin. It looks like it's been shot at, spit on, stomped on, and buried. >>

I was stunned to read the price it brought! image >>

I guess that it's a sign that more people are collecting colonials than I initially thought. Had that been one of many varieties of early-date large cents, no one would have batted an eye.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice write-up, I enjoyed reading it.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I have any interest in Conneticuts but that piece is delightful! The comments on the RB coin, and it's price was most interesting. I think MLCs feeling that more people are collecting colonials is spot on. ........probably a reaction to the glut of moderns and "stuff" available. Colonials despite what we see here are very thin on the ground compared to the overall numismatic population.
    It's certainly true that there are far fewer colonial coins on the typical bourse floor than US federal issues. Plus, those who do collect colonials - and particularly state coppers - often collect by die variety and can be a bit fanatical about it. So it's a classic case of supply not meeting demand, but it seems more pronounced with colonials.
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good read. Thank you!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good read - thanks for the link.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Excellent read. I love reading everything by CRO. Even the mundane sounds interesting.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read! Always something good to "crow" aboutimage
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent read. I love reading everything by CRO. Even the mundane sounds interesting. >>

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

<< <i>

<< <i>Excellent read. I love reading everything by CRO. Even the mundane sounds interesting. >>

image >>

This is the hallmark of an experienced dealer---get collectors to buy cool coins, as well as mundane ones.

• Always interesting to hear what they have to say.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file