Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated with my pictures, So I just won this in an ACCUGRADE holder 1886P Morgan

Not sure why I bid on it, but it looks like a very nice coin. Should be interesting and can't wait to see it.

1886 Morgan
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the grade to state, "MS63.5" tells me it is a first (or, close to) generation ACG and if that's the case you luck out as it wasn't so wild for ACG in the super early days.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score, have a few ACG graded coins !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great looking coin at that price in particular. Given the vintage ACG slab, I say you did well. You know, many of thew newer folks on these very message boards will not have the foggiest idea who/what ACG was. And the name, Alan Hager, too.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is a member here, although only appearing infrequently. He is one of the most under appreciated micro- photographers of coins. Does a lot of great work for Vamworld.com.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the grade to state, "MS63.5" tells me it is a first (or, close to) generation ACG and if that's the case you luck out as it wasn't so wild for ACG in the super early days. >>

ACG had fractional grading on a few different versions of their slabs.

Here is another ACG holder with fractional grading.

imageimage
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It's not like you can't tell what the coin looks like. His pics are awesome!
    Becky
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    Something about the simplicity of their old slab combined with dot matrix printing is pretty darn neat. Better then a doily! :-)
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not like you can't tell what the coin looks like. His pics are awesome! >>

image Whoops! I didn't scan through all the images and missed the slab photos!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a great looking coin at that price in particular. Given the vintage ACG slab, I say you did well. You know, many of thew newer folks on these very message boards will not have the foggiest idea who/what ACG was. And the name, Alan Hager, too. >>

Some of us will. Let me check with my lawyer to see if I can comment. In the meantime, image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Interesting -- from the images, I would say the grade assigned is dead-on. Certainly not the
    case with other Accugrade pieces I have seen.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting -- from the images, I would say the grade assigned is dead-on. Certainly not the
    case with other Accugrade pieces I have seen. >>

image ended up with my share of Body Bags back in the day from them as I was buying them before joining this forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting -- from the images, I would say the grade assigned is dead-on. Certainly not the
    case with other Accugrade pieces I have seen. >>

I thought the same thing when I packed it for shipping! Mailed it during my lunch break today. Glad it went to someone on the forum.

...and thanks for the kind words coindeuce and DorkGirl!

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For the grade to state, "MS63.5" tells me it is a first (or, close to) generation ACG and if that's the case you luck out as it wasn't so wild for ACG in the super early days. >>

ACG had fractional grading on a few different versions of their slabs.

Here is another ACG holder with fractional grading.

imageimage >>

Question from someone who simply doesn't remember--if he ever knew. (They say memory is the second thing to go--I've forgotten what the first thing was.)

Was this actually "fractional grading" or simply an abbreviated version of "split grading" such as was often applied to raw MS coins at the time...ie, obverse 63, reverse 65?

Doesn't really matter--just curious.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norm is not only a superb coin macro/micro photographer, but also one of the good guys in the VAM community.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like a great looking coin at that price in particular. Given the vintage ACG slab, I say you did well. You know, many of thew newer folks on these very message boards will not have the foggiest idea who/what ACG was. And the name, Alan Hager, too. >>

Some of us will. Let me check with my lawyer to see if I can comment. In the meantime, image >>

He's the original boy named "sue"

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    Looks like a nice piece to me.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There can always be more value inside the package... No matter the product, most of us open it up for the goodies inside.

~Cheerios Sacagawea Owner~
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    These were taken with my cell phone. I am definitely pleased with the quality of the coin.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file