Home Testing Forum
Options

BEER

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometimes too rare can be an issue as I've been heavily researching these tokens for the last couple of years and have hit a wall.

Designed with the brewery tools of the trade crossed... a broom, a malt spade, and a shovels.

This issue have long mystified token collectors, as this token was thought to have been pre-Hard Times period, then Hard Times Era, however more recent information has placed its date of issue in the 1860's-1870’s. This re-dating however does not affect its status as one of the classic rarities in the field.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85A, Copper.

NGC AU58 - Ex: Charles Litman collection & the plate coin in Russell Rulau's latest 4th edition Standard catalog of United States Token's.

Last year I was very fortunate to locate and acquire the other metal strike in high grade.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85, Brass.

This is a great Massachusetts rarity that was called by Dr. H.B.P. Wright in his 1898 list of American Store/Business Cards in the American Numismatic Association - Numismatist Vol. 13 stated "I consider this one of the rarest American cards". Dr. Wright also wrote articles between 1899-1901 seeking additional information on this token and received no response.

It was first plated beyond a line drawing in am issue of the 1914 Numismatist "A Very Rare Boston Store Card - Above is illustrated a very rare store card which was issued at Boston Mass., by the Highland Spring Brewery, but about which very little information is now obtainable, Dr. H,B.P. Wright, in his list of American Store Cards published in the Numismatist some years ago considered it one of the rarest American store cards. We would be pleased if one of our members would give us some information regarding the piece, which will be published in the the numismatist." Again no further information was provided.

Info from 1914 to date...

1920 Edgar H. Adams "U.S. Store Cards" called Excessively Rare non plated.

1940 Wayte Raymond "United States Coins and Tokens" (Wayte doesn't use the wording Rare until tokens are above R-6 on the rarity scale) called Very Rare line drawing supplied.

1975 David E. Schenckman stated a Very Rare Boston store card.

1981 Russell Rulau "United States Trade Tokens 1866-1889" Ex. Rare priced at $1,200.00 in VF with no pricing info above that grade. Plated is the Al Zaika VF specimen with small reverse edge dents, tiny nicks, and uneven slightly dark color.

Researching all major exonumia auction catalogs back to the 1980's I've only been able to trace 3 examples. The one I've posted (Finest Known), the Al Zaika VF, and the 1989 Stack's Gilbert Steinberg example first deemed as cleaned AU brass (reserve not meet), then re-sold in the 2003 B&M Gilbert sale properly described as Copper cleaned XF.

As I have recently obtained all of Benjamin P. Wright, M.D.'s 1898 to 1901 ANA Numismatist writings on American Store Business Cards. Dr. Wright considered this token Rarity-8 (2 or 3 known) and valued it at $35.00 around the turn of the century. (For value data gold was $18.00 an ounce) Edgar Adam's in his 1920 works did not post pricing, however Donald Miller in 1962 valued this token at $350.00 in Fine condition. (For value data gold was $35.00 an ounce)

And a neat write up in Julian Liedman's April 1986 Bowers & Merana / PCAC sale catalog.

There's lots of info which can be found on this obsolete brewery on the web, here's just a touch...

Brewing started as the Henry H. Reuter & John R. Alley Highland Spring Brewery in 1867. By 1872 the facility was reported to be the largest brewery in the US. It was one of the first to add refrigerating equipment and in 1876 their ale won first prize at The Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!