Home U.S. Coin Forum

1844 quarter with a knife rim?

fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this true, I have not heard of it before. Interesting.
It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the reeded edge was tapped down smooth. Post-Mint damage.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool die state, too bad someone had to mess around with it.image
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin was rolled and probably has no reeding on the edge. I got stuck with an 1877 half dollar like this in a group lot won on eBay.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the start of a ring. I have a ring made from a Walking Liberty Half.
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool die state, too bad someone had to mess around with it.image >>

My thoughts exactly.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the first one I've seen. I had one in very similar condition last year in a multiple piece lot that came on consignment from a forum member. It was sold as a single at a show in Syracuse. The current seller is located in NY, so it may very well be the coin that I handled, which had been worked (tooled) on the edge. As I recall, the edge was slightly radiused from peening the reeds flat.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand "knife rim" is another name for "wire rim" mostly made famous by the 1907 High Relief.

That looks like more than just a little extruding metal. I vote PMD.

If it is a wire rim, then that's one hell of a strike and one worn out collar.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    looks like breen didnt know as much about the minting process as he did about molesting children.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file