Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone Read The New Article On The Top 100 PCGS Modern Coins?

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
"Top 100 Modern Coins Remixed" by Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker - January 25, 2013

I had the pleasure of speaking with Charles for more than an hour yesterday on a related matter, but I noticed that his article that came out yesterday in PCGS email had not yet been discussed here on the coin forums. Here are some comments to the article:

1. I agree with Charles and Hubert that some collectors are disappointed that some of the top 10 coins are not capable of being collected either because they are potentially illegal to own (1964-D Peace Dollar, 1974 Aluminum Cent) or government property (Gold Sac Dollars). I met with DH this week and he agreed these three coins should be removed from the registry set (and set out as "honorable mention" coins) no later than the Summer ANA show. So, at least three new coins are expected to join the Top 100 list later this year.

2. While the (3) 2007-W Freedom Proof platinum coins are currently unique, the coins do exist and are capable of being collected by anyone building this set (unlike the 3 coins mentioned above). As such, I believe each coin deserves it own slot in the registry. Hence, I disagree with the authors on this point as they would like all three of these coins lumped into one registry slot. That said, it certainly "pains me" that I will likely have these (3) slots "blank" in my personal Top 100 Modern Coin registry set for a long time to come. Ditto for the (5) 1964 SMS coins ... I believe they each deserve their own slot.

3. The authors question some of the $5 gold commems on the list and things are certainly changing in this area of the modern market. For example, the Star Spangled Banner MS coin recently shut down at around a 7,000 mintage making it the 3rd lowest mintage in the history of that program. I would certainly have no problem removing the weakest $5 gold commem off the current Top 100 list and add in the SSB coin.

4. The authors question the inclusion of the 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollar (and the 1996-W Dime as well). The Kennedy Half Dollar is a very popular "collectors' coin", but so is the Delaware state quarter for that matter (which is not on the current list). I believe the authors make a fair point here and there should be more reflection on whether coins such as the 70-D half dollar or 1996-W Roosevelt Dime belong on this Top 100 list or not (when so many scarcer coins are not included at the moment). Also, is a coin like the very common 1996 MS Silver Eagle worthy of this list? I would personally get rid of it ... again ... too many coins currently off the list that need to be there. For example, in speaking to just the gold and platinum coins that were left off the list you have the super popular 2008-W $50 Proof Buffalo Gold, the 1991 MS $25 Gold Eagle and the 2007 Jefferson Liberty spouse ... all (3) of these coins should have been on the Top 100 list from the outset in my opinion. Then, PCGS needs to decide what it is going to do with all the very interesting and rare errors or varieties (e.g. 1999 cent/dime mule, 1971 prototype Ikes, etc) that are not currently on the list.

Overall, a nice article from these guys. I expect a whole lot more of this good stuff from Charles judging from the articles he is currently working on which we discussed yesterday.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting read and I agree. Glad the very things I was wondering about is being addressedimage
    Thanks for the post wondercoin.

• I am very pleased to see they are considering removing the coins that can not be collected. The registry, by design, is to show coin collections. It made no sense to me that uncollectable coins would be included.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am very pleased to see they are considering removing the coins that can not be collected. The registry, by design, is to show coin collections. It made no sense to me that uncollectable coins would be included. >>

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    I do not understand how "low mintage" makes a coin great when the coin was minted a year or two ago and the mintage appears "low" even though it is in the thousands, because there was limited collector interest and many were purchased by speculators.

CG

<< <i>I do not understand how "low mintage" makes a coin great when the coin was minted a year or two ago and the mintage appears "low" even though it is in the thousands, because there was limited collector interest and many were purchased by speculators.

CG >>

I would hazard to guess for the simple reason that it is named "The Top 100 PCGS Modern Coins"image

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Overall, a nice article from these guys. I expect a whole lot more of this good stuff from Charles judging from the articles he is currently working on which we discussed yesterday.
    >>

Link to article.

They've got a lot of great articles behind them and we can hope there are many many more.

<< <i>"The 1965 quarter also belongs. The clad-sandwich coin has had a long and successful run as the economic heavy-lifter and successor of the pre-1964 silver quarter. The '65 is still in service, though in most instances with features well rounded and disappearing by the year. The Mint's decision to produce Special Mint Sets from 1965 through 1967 and the coin's obscenely huge mintages gave the issue a perception of perpetual commonness. Remember, the 1857 Flying Eagle cent also had an obscenely huge mintage. How many mint state examples of that coin still float around? and its debased composition influenced generations of collectors to ignore it as a collectible." >>

The 1965 quarter has done a staggering amount of heavy lifting in its nearly half century
    of circulation. Nearly two billion were made to help alieveate the coin shortage caused by
    the general public removing silver from circulation. These coins had substantial face value
    back in the day so few were saved and there are several scarce varieties. Each of those
    well rounded surviving specimens represent thousands of dollars in exchange in today's
    money. Nearly 55% of these are gone altogether now lost to the ravages of time and mis-
    adventure.

Tempus fugit.

<< <i>The 1965 quarter has done a staggering amount of heavy lifting in its nearly half century
    of circulation. Nearly two billion were made to help alieveate the coin shortage caused by
    the general public removing silver from circulation. These coins had substantial face value
    back in the day so few were saved and there are several scarce varieties. Each of those
    well rounded surviving specimens represent thousands of dollars in exchange in today's
    money. Nearly 55% of these are gone altogether now lost to the ravages of time and mis-
    adventure. >>

Very interesting, my brother in law told me on my last visit out to see my mother that he
    has been saving 1965 quarters since he was a kid. He is now in his 60's. He said someone told him when
    he was a kid to collect them because they should be worth it in the future.

I need to take a look through them the next time I go out in a few weeks.
    What are the best varieties to look out for cladking?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issue with having the 1965 regular issue quarter appear on a list of most important modern coins, but the dime would need to be there as well I suspect.

Speaking of 1965 coinage, one of the coolest coins in my Washington Quarter set is my PCGS-MS64 Silver 1965 Washington Quarter. Obviously, that coin also deserves to be on any greatest modern coin list (assuming a 1943 bronze cent or 1944 steel cent also is on the greatest classic lists)... I have never come across another Mint State 1965 silver example with the half dozen or so of other known silver quarters mainly being of XF/AU quality.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>These coins had substantial face value back in the day so few were saved >>

Baloney. They were worth a quarter, which bought a kid 5 packs of baseball cards or perhaps a comic book and a candy bar. Big deal. Plenty were saved by Washington quarter collectors back then who put them in their collections. They were not hoarded because they were not silver, they were common as could be, and they were minted for and used in every day commerce. They were mundane coins then as now.

CG

<< <i>I have no issue with having the 1965 regular issue quarter appear on a list of most important modern coins, but the dime would need to be there as well I suspect.

Speaking of 1965 coinage, one of the coolest coins in my Washington Quarter set is my PCGS-MS64 Silver 1965 Washington Quarter. Obviously, that coin also deserves to be on any greatest modern coin list (assuming a 1943 bronze cent or 1944 steel cent also is on the greatest classic lists)... I have never come across another Mint State 1965 silver example with the half dozen or so of other known silver quarters mainly being of XF/AU quality.
    >>

Yes. The '65 silver issues could well make the list. Perhaps more deservedly so than the regular issue.

Another one that could be included is the unique 1964 clad quarter. To me this is the ultimate in rare and
    modern. Of course there are good reasons to exclude it as you mention in the first post.

Dimes don't have nearly the velocity in circulation that quarters do. Most 1965 dimes are still around VF
    condition because they spend longer times in change jars. Of course the little dime has a far higher attri-
    tion rate due to it's small size and low value so more than 60% of these are gone now.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>

<< <i>These coins had substantial face value back in the day so few were saved >>

Baloney. They were worth a quarter, which bought a kid 5 packs of baseball cards or perhaps a comic book and a candy bar. Big deal. Plenty were saved by Washington quarter collectors back then who put them in their collections. They were not hoarded because they were not silver, they were common as could be, and they were minted for and used in every day commerce. They were mundane coins then as now.
    >>

It's not my contention that '65 dimes are rare or scarce or even tough in BU nor that they
    were large amounts of money in 1965. Very large numbers of this specific date were saved
    because collectors and hoarders had been setting aside coins for years and not all of thenm
    stopped just because the silver was removed. But most did stop. More importantly though
    is that there was absolutely no interest in BU rolls of clads in later years so most of the ten
    million or so coins that had been hoarded were simply spent. This is the most common date
    BU eagle reverse quarter roll but this hardly means they are "common". They are cheap be-
    cause demand is so thin. They don't wholesale around $20 because coin shops are overflow-
    ing with them but because there are no customers for them.

Prices were far lower in 1965. You could easily buy a new car with the number of quarters you
    could carry. Low rent apartments went for four rolls of quarters. You could buy a sandwich in
    a machine for a quarter or two sodas and a pack of gum. People sometimes paid a restaurant
    tab with a few quarters and left a dime tip. Now days a phone call would cost 16 quarters if
    there were any phones left. More importantly though is that in 1965 almost everyone paid in
    cash and most people spent their change because it had value. Many people worked, even pro-
    fessionals, worked for only a couple dollars an hour so a quarter represented real money. Not
    everyone in 1965 could afford to set aside a bag or even a roll of quarters even if they wanted
    to. The few who were setting aside quarters were mostly saving the silver.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>

Very interesting, my brother in law told me on my last visit out to see my mother that he
    has been saving 1965 quarters since he was a kid. He is now in his 60's. He said someone told him when

What are the best varieties to look out for cladking? >>

I've actually met a couple of people who save 1965 quarters. There's enough of this going
    on that you can actually see it by watching change. It shows up as this date being a little
    tougher relative its mintage but the difference here is slight and hard to see. Where it really
    shows up is un the average condition of the date. 95% of 1966 quarters are between G+
    and F- with most of the outliers being lower grade or slightly higher. The range for '65 25c's
    is much broader to include 95% and slightly higher G to F and most of the outliers are higher
    grade with significant numbers much higher grade. Nice attractive XF+ '65 quarters can still
    be found even today with effort and VF's are easy.

Shoot, I made a list once of all the varieties bit the only ones that jump to mind right now are
    the silver reverse, two DDO's, and a rotated die. There are more.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Prices were far lower in 1965. You could easily buy a new car with the number of quarters you could carry. >>

A VW was about the cheapest car around and one of those would have cost, if memory serves me, $1,800 or so. Thats a lot of quarters to carry around. I guess that's where the expression "deep pockets" came from.

Yeah things were cheaper. Gasoline (regular) was 28 cents. A slice of pizza (the real thing in NY with oil dripping off it served on a sheet of wax paper) was a quarter. But people were hoarding plenty of quarters--the silver ones.

CG
    "They were not hoarded because they were not silver, they were common as could be, and they were minted for and used in every day commerce. They were mundane coins then as now."

This is EXACTLY the point.

First, a true MS67 1965 Clad quarter is worth close to $1,000 today while a true MS67 from 1956, 1957 and even 1958 (even with the low mintage that year) is worth about $100! There are even a couple MS67+ 1958-P quarters out there already graded by PCGS ... that grade is unheard of for a 1965 clad quarter business strike at this time (not to mention a 1956 in MS68 grade)!

Had savvy coin collectors of the day hunted down high end 1965 quarter examples from the banks, there might have been some MS67+ or even MS68 coins around at this point. But, we are lucky there are even some $1,000 MS67's at this point and they are about 10x scarcer than those MS67 silver quarters I listed above. Can you imagine if a collector put the time in and set aside some MS67 and shot MS68 specimens back then! Each of those quarters would be worth $1,000 today and an MS68 perhaps closer to $5,000+ (I'll pay $4,000 sight-seen for one today ... any takers?)

So, let's summarize .... the 1956-P quarter in MS67 is worth $100 today, while the 1965 quarter in MS67 is worth close to $1,000 today. The 1956-P quarter has even been graded MS68 by PCGS (I even used to own the coin). That grade is unheard of in a 1965 clad quarter. Yet, classic collectors continue to write comments about 1965 quarters like "they were mundane coins then as now".

Second, again, no one was savvy enough to pull the SILVER 1965 quarters from the bank rolls and bags ... which is why virtually all the half dozen or so known coins are XF/AU grade. Even these XF/AU coins are worth close to $10,000 today. I can not even put a price on my Mint State 64 specimen ... yet the coin collectors back then essentially only cared about the pre-1965 silver counterparts (and the classic coin collectors hardly care about them to this day). But, obviously, some collectors are beginning to care as these near 50 year old coins are already fetching close to $1,000 in MS67 (and close to $10,000 for the AU silver specimens).

I HAD AN EXCUSE for not pursuing these coins back in 1965 as I was just a young boy back then. But, the collectors of that day really missed the boat in not spot-checking the dimes and quarters back in 1965 for the varieties and high end specimens. At a Stacks-Bowers sale last year, I sold a 1965 silver Dime grading PCGS-MS62 for around $16,000. I was tempted to keep the coin myself to go along with my PCGS-MS64 silver quarter, but you just can't keep everything. Truth be told, I sort of regret not finding a way to keep that dime!

Wondercoin
    The harder clad composition resulted in mushy strikes. I recall looking at the crumby strike of new coins and wondering what collectors were doing for high quality examples for their collections. There are more silver quarters in 67 and 68 because they were made better.

The off metal errors were just that--errors. The few that were made slipped into circuluation because seeing a silver dime or quarter was common place in 1965. I remember putting aside the first clad quarter I got in change because it was "unusual". I think it wound up getting some green crud over the years. Don't know what ever became of it.

CG
    "I recall looking at the crumby strike of new coins and wondering what collectors were doing for high quality examples for their collections."

They are settling for MS66 specimens at best in many cases! There are some higher grade coins but they are very tough to locate AND on top of that a collector needs to familiarize himself with the series so that he does not buy a mechanical error SMS 1965 quarter in MS67 worth "pennies on the dollar" compared to a business strike MS67 specimen.

Wondercoin

<< <i>

<< <i>Prices were far lower in 1965. You could easily buy a new car with the number of quarters you could carry. >>

A VW was about the cheapest car around and one of those would have cost, if memory serves me, $1,800 or so. Thats a lot of quarters to carry around. I guess that's where the expression "deep pockets" came from. >>

The VW was closer to $1600 though this price was soaring in that era. I think the '60 was only $875.

Now days a comparable car will cost in the $14,000 vicinity. This is about 700 pounds of quarters. this
    compared to about 80 pounds in 1965.

<< <i>Yeah things were cheaper. Gasoline (regular) was 28 cents. A slice of pizza (the real thing in NY with oil dripping off it served on a sheet of wax paper) was a quarter. But people were hoarding plenty of quarters--the silver ones.
    >>

Yes, and this is exactly the point. There was no interest in the clad in 1965 and not a lot now. Sure Won-
    derCoin sees a lot of interest because that's his business. Much of the demand for moderns and clad
    comes to him. But most people don't see a lot of interest even in a coin shop. Now days they sell a few
    mint sets and a folder or album once in a while but most numismatic business still involves things like in-
    dian cents and morgan dollars. It won't always be this way. WonderCoin's customers and Wondercoin
    are simply ahead of the curve. One of these days there will be enough demand to show just how tough
    this coin is in true Gem simply because nobody cared then and few care now.

Tempus fugit.

<< <i>The harder clad composition resulted in mushy strikes. I recall looking at the crumby strike of new coins and wondering what collectors were doing for high quality examples for their collections. There are more silver quarters in 67 and 68 because they were made better.
    >>

Yes. Exactly.

It appears many presses were set at very low pressures to maximize die life and then they
    were continued in operation long after they were worn out. This means many dies struck no
    Gems at all. Coins were roughly handled. At least in 1965 there were some nice clean strikes
    by good dies on good planchets so nice chBU's are fairly common. But some later dates were
    abysmal with MS-63's being very few and far between with 1969 being the worst. This initial
    and continuing poor quality is much of the reason so few coins were set aside. In those days
    people weren't concerned so much with quality but the mint didn't care at all.

Tempus fugit.
    If I go out and buy up a bunch of 1965 quarters now how much longer will I have to wait until the rest of the collector world catches on so that I can cash in big time? Because I'm not as young as I was in 1965 and waiting an additional 48 years is in one sense optimistic while at the same time not a real attractive proposition.

CG
    "If I go out and buy up a bunch of 1965 quarters now how much longer will I have to wait until the rest of the collector world catches so that I can cash in big time? Because I'm not as young as I was in 1965 and waiting an additional 48 years is in one sense optimistic while at the same time not a real attractive proposition. CG"

Leave them for the kids and grandkids with a note to contact Wondercoins' kids to help them sell the coins. By that time, my kids may have figured out the way to "cash in big time" on the pile I left for them. LOL.

Wondercoin
    On a related note, over the past couple days I was talking with Charles Morgan about clad coin collecting and he made an interesting point. He told me that he felt these clad coins of the 1960s-1980s period were one of the most "democratic periods of U.S. coin collecting". What he meant by that was one did not need to be well connected or affluent to score that amazing coin- one just needed to search through mountains of material that the "industry" didn't want. The same is true today with the "hunts" for National Park and Territory quarters.

Wondercoin
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that the gold Sac dollars and 1964 Peace dollars are being moved. Should only be coins that one can legally own.

Hope they look at some of the other keys (2012-W $50 Burnished, 1991 $25 business strike) and consider points for grades (fewer points for lower grades). Even though the High Relief is on there, the 70 PL First Strike should get special mention - or perhaps a list of top 10 First Strike coins as a separate list?

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"If I go out and buy up a bunch of 1965 quarters now how much longer will I have to wait until the rest of the collector world catches so that I can cash in big time? Because I'm not as young as I was in 1965 and waiting an additional 48 years is in one sense optimistic while at the same time not a real attractive proposition. CG"

Leave them for the kids and grandkids with a note to contact Wondercoins' kids to help them sell the coins. By that time, my kids may have figured out the way to "cash in big time" on the pile I left for them. LOL.

Wondercoin >>

I'll be 60 later this year . . . THESE just arrived yesterday. May open them after I retire & get bored ! ! ! The EORs are Gorgeous, much better than the sellers pics show . . . Wish I could take some good pics to share.
    Did I over-pay? Prolly. . . but some folks think TDN overpaid for that 1794 dollar also . . . time will tell ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>If I go out and buy up a bunch of 1965 quarters now how much longer will I have to wait until the rest of the collector world catches on so that I can cash in big time? Because I'm not as young as I was in 1965 and waiting an additional 48 years is in one sense optimistic while at the same time not a real attractive proposition.
    >>

Good luck finding them.

When you finally do most of them will be junk.
    Tempus fugit.
    Ian: I mentioned in my first post that I believe the 1991 $25 Gold was inadvertently left off the original Top 100 list. Of course, 2012-W $50 Gold was just another mint product at the time the original list was finalized.

Regarding FS coins ... not sure that list is coming any time soon from PCGS. I just don't see them "promoting" a $16,000 label in the case of the UHR.

Wondercoin
    Sure hope they don't drop #25 from the list ! ! !

HH
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The list

Of these, the top 20 circulation coins:

1) 2000 Sacagawea/Quarter Dollar Mule, MS

2) 1969-S Doubled Die Lincoln Cent, MS

3) 1992 1C Close AM, MS

4) 1992-D 1C Close AM, MS

5) 1972 1C Doubled Die Obverse, MS

6) 2004-D 25C Wisconsin, Extra Leaf High, MS

7) 2004-D 25C Wisconsin, Extra Leaf Low, MS

8) 1972 $1 Type 2, MS

9) 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse, MS

10) 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse, MS

11) 1995 1C Doubled Die Obverse, MS

12) 1982 10C No Mintmark – Strong, MS

13) 1974-D 50C Doubled Die Obverse, MS

14) 1970-S 1C Large Date, Doubled Die Obverse, MS

15) 1999 1C Wide AM, MS

16) 1970-S 1C Small Date, MS

17) 1996-W 10C, MS

18) 2005-D 5C Speared Bison, MS

19) 1979-P SBA$1 Wide Rim, MS

20) *** add your favorite here ***
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    List looks pretty other than the speared bison which has no place there in my humble opinion.

Wondercoin
  • I just happended to check in today - first time in many, many months. Lots of things have changed since I last visited! I do always enjoy cladking & Mitch's posts, because I am not locked into collecting pre '64 coins - I realize that there are, and always will be great opportunities in 'modern' strikes. Heck, I got a brand new bathroom in about 2006 paid for with the sale of three 1999 Connecticut quarters that graded PCGS MS68. I saw kranky at the last PAN show and we joked about how we instinctively check our change when it is handed to us, and always have to reassure the clerks - "It's not you, it's me!"

What really hit home was the assertion that you could buy a car at that time (mid-1960s) with quarters, due to their relative purchasing power back then. That is true, because I did it! My very first car was a 1967 Mercury Cougar (sure do miss that car...) with 91,000 miles on it, which I bought with quarters that I had been throwing into coffee cans while in college. I rolled up 'em up, took them to the bank, and went and bought me a car. Even had some cash left over to put on air shocks and some slicks. I drove that car for over two years, took two trips to the Outer Banks from Pittsburgh - definitely got my "quarters' worth" out of that purchase!

Anyway, thanks for the memories - and I will have to read the article, as well spend a lot more time here catching up.
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think modern coins are heavily promoted by dealers.....the proverbial house of cards.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Bidask: Do you know the funny thing ... I believe it is just the opposite.

I have dealt with a few of the BIGGEST classic coin dealers who essentially secretly deal in moderns. I say "secretly", because they ask me as a favor to not reveal their names. Not only are these BIG dealers NOT promoting the moderns, they don't even want anyone to know they are dealing in them!! imageimage

Wondercoin

<< <i>Bidask: Do you know the funny thing ... I believe it is just the opposite.

I have dealt with a few of the BIGGEST classic coin dealers who essentially secretly deal in moderns. I say "secretly", because they ask me as a favor to not reveal their names. Not only are these BIG dealers NOT promoting the moderns, they don't even want anyone to know they are dealing in them!! imageimage

Wondercoin >>

That is pretty funny...image How many MS67 1965 Clad quarter have you sold them for $1000 each?image

PCGS has graded -20- MS67's in -26- years on the 1965 quarters.

A dear friend has asked me for a nice 1965 Quarter in PCGS-MS67 just as soon as I get an extra one. That was about 5 years ago. I now have one on consignment and I will discuss the coin with him in the near future.

I have a beautiful toned coin and a "white" coin in my personal collection. I chased another MS67 example that appeared on Teletrade on 3/24/10, but I let it go when it hit $1,495 (with the juice) and the next bid would have put the coin well over $1,500. A couple years back the pop was even somewhat less, and the coin was worth well North of $1,000. Now, at a pop 20, I personally would not chase another example as I did back in 2010. I would sure love to buy a nice example for my website a bit back of PG if the opportunity presents itself though. I have never offered a clad quarter on my site, but plan to sell off some dupes later this year once I finally select the coins for my top set and get them pictured by PCGS.

Wondercoin
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice read. Kind of made me proud... and ashamed to post at the same time. I have several of those coins. image
    "Heck, I got a brand new bathroom in about 2006 paid for with the sale of three 1999 Connecticut quarters that graded PCGS MS68."

Golddustin: A saw a CT MS68 being offered for about $2,300 last week. Do you recall what you got for your coins 6 years ago?

Wondercoin

<< <i>"Heck, I got a brand new bathroom in about 2006 paid for with the sale of three 1999 Connecticut quarters that graded PCGS MS68."

Golddustin: A saw a CT MS68 being offered for about $2,300 last week. Do you recall what you got for your coins 6 years ago?

Wondercoin >>

Isn't it time to remodel your kitchen or do
    a room addition. Lets work something outimage

<< <i>I think modern coins are heavily promoted by dealers.....the proverbial house of cards. >>

I believe noi dealer has a position in moderns. Yes, there are some with significant stock
    which amounts to a position but this is different than dealing coins day to day with a safe
    full of Gems that aren't for sale. In fact I'd wager there are very very few collectors with a
    position in such coins because they are so difficult to obtain. If there were any speculation
    going on the prices would soar.

Of course there are several people who, like me, have tried to assemble hoards all along.
    But the difficulty in doing this is extreme. I never had a lot of money to piut into it but even
    if I had it wouldn't have solved the problems with just finding the coins. You can just call up
    the corner coin shop and buy up lots of Gem clad because most corner coin shops won't have
    a single coin in stock unless they just happen to have mint sets. What comes into the corner
    coin shops is buffalo nickels, Morgans, and large cents not clad. Look at the used albums and
    folders they have for sale. This is what comes into the shop.

There will never be any significant hoards of these coins hitting the market. The largest hoards
    will have a few thousand Gems at most and most of these will be the more common dates. I
    know where most of them are from watching the markets over the years. But not only do hoards
    not exist but, for the main part, there aren't any old collections either. There simply wasn't any
    demand for these coins right along and they aren't seen today. Yes, tens of thousands of col-
    lectors would assemble sets but very few were concerned with quality. These were mostly cas-
    ual collectors who simply kept their collections current. A few used nice coins from circulation and
    more would cut a mint set each year. These collections will trickle onto the market for decades
    because they tend to be by younger collectors.

If you really want to see what a little bit of demand does to moderns then just look at the world
    modern coin markets. Many of these coins are simply skyrocketing with hundred fold increases.
    This is what happens when a little demand hits almost no supply. People haven't saved moderns.
    They are not available except where mint sets were made or where they were such low denomi-
    nations that individuals could snap up millions. Of course many of the mint sets haven't withstood
    the test of time due to low valuations or substandard packaging. Many moderns simply never ap-
    peared in mint sets and these weren't minted in most places till the late-'60's.

Moderns are going to surprise and keep surprising people for a good long while. There are many
    coins I've sought for decades and could have paid virtually any price (that was asked) yet I don't
    have a single example. Collectors percieve them all to be common but probably no more than a small
    percentage are common and these are distressingly common. Many are available only because there
    is no demand and even more are scarce or rare.
    Tempus fugit.
    I really don't follow the clads much, but when I find nice rolls of '65-'67 quarters & dimes I try to scoop'em up. I figure that like '82 & '83, there are no mint sets to pull circ strikes from. If they never have much value . . . well it hasn't broken the bank to buy them . . . image

HH
    I do collect modern foreign silver and gold low mintage.

Here is an example:

<< <i>I do collect modern foreign silver and gold low mintage.

Here is an example:

image >>

I like a lot of these low mintage moderns. Many of them are exceedingly attractive and very "historical".

I tend to prefer the high mintage ones with huge attrition to collect or set aside. A few of the lower mintage
    coins have high attrition as well. There are going to be more surprises in the future and there might even be
    some new "top 100" coins found or arise from collector interest.

You have to like neat coins from major countries when they have tiny mintages.
    Tempus fugit.
  • <<Very interesting, my brother in law told me on my last visit out to see my mother that he

What are the best varieties to look out for cladking?>>

THe 5th edition volumn II of the Cherrypickers' Guide pages 160-163 describes the different reverses of the quarters from 1932-1972.
    (1973-4 were different and of course 1976 and then again 1977.)

Types C, D and E were used in 1965. Type C was used on about 5% of the 1965's. I think the reason it was superceded was due to the weak EPU on it. Don't use that for a checkpoint, but it looks real to me. I can't imagine these 1965 varieties being worth anymore than a generic 1965.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file