Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

FS: 1951 Mantle Rookie psa 7- below VCP

Hey all. I'm selling my 1951 Bowman Mantle Rookie psa 7. It is listed on eBay also, but I would be able to give a much better deal here without fees. VCP is $11,951, and I'm looking to get $11,500 via check/gift. Please pm me or email directly at card_country@yahoo.com if interested. Thanks! Jeff

1951 Mantle psa 7

Back scan
Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
Card Country
Graded stars 1950's-1980

Comments

• ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty common to the 51 mantle.
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    The one going at the MH auction tonight is much cleaner. It would run a bit more with the BP, but
    when you pay that kind of money you shouldn't have to deal with typical faults for this card.

Dave
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's up with the stains? >>

What's up with you crapping all over this guy's sales thread? Do you think he made the stains himself, or added the print lines for fun? Better yet, do you think he made PSA grade it a 7, or did they do that on their own?

Like mom used to say, if you can't say something nice....
    By the way -- the print lines are LIGHT. As is the wax stain. I think it's fair to say, less those, it'd garner a higher grade, and a higher price tag to go with it.

Sheesh.
    As to the mile high example (another crappy thing to do in someone's thread, pointing out an equivalent card for sale elsewhere) - it DOES have a better back. Nice corners. And, appears to have no print lines. It also has something worse than all those things to me -- a shift-print on the front resulting in blurry, off-register Mick. Visually distracting, more so than the example for sale here.

OK, done ranting now. image
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you said originalisbest.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with everything you said originalisbest. >>

Ditto.
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Nice Mantle.....good luck with the sale

<< <i>''This auction is for one of the most highly sought after post-war baseball cards: the Mickey Mantle true rookie card. It is offered in the highly desirable PSA 7 NM grade. There are no qualifiers. It is well framed with great color and clarity. There is a little of the print roller lines that are common to this card.''

I guess the seller is just following PSA's lead ignoring stains (occasionally) and does not take them seriously, since the description lacks any mention. When I see cards like this, it reminds me of the WIWAG scandal and the possibilities.
    P.S. Putting an email address in the eBay listing is also frowned upon but whatever...
    image >>

Uh-huh. You know what, you might have a leg to stand on if no image of the card back was shown, the auction said something like "NO STAINS ANYWHERE" and you bought it and got it and THEN saw the stains. But since it is indeed a NQ NM7, a nice card overall, and a nice big fat scan of the back is in plain evidence, then your problem lies with PSA calling it a 7, and with eBay rule infractions regarding email addresses. Seems pretty lame to me.

I wish the seller good luck with their sale, it's a nice card to me, though well out of my price league. I appreciate the folks who chimed in with opinions similar to my take. image

For my own edification, I'll look up the WIWAG scandal, and not clutter up this seller's thread any more (edit to say: I don't think PSA ignores stains. Maybe more experienced submitters can correct me, but, could you have an otherwise NM-MT 8 card that would come with a ST qualifier (if there is such a thing) instead be graded a straight NM 7? Similar to a NM-MT 8(oc) being a straight NM7. Maybe that's the case with this Mick.)
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I like the card and the wax stain on the back does not bother me that much. A lot of 51/52 Bowmans exhibit the same kind of staining.

NM 7: Near Mint

A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    Thanks for the clarification, Bunker! image