Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What should PSA do with Gorgeous George (Wrestling) player registry?

I put in a request to have a registry of him earlier this week. The composition is only three cards since PSA does not grade the exhibit cards. I look at the player registry and he is listed under "George Wagner". I wonder if some of the luster is lost if someone just looks under the player registry to find George Wagner instead of Gorgeous George? Should I ask PSA to list him as "Gorgeous" George Wagner? I was just seeing what others think here but it can be a dilemma. I mean, there is a Hulk Hogan registry going and not Terry Bollea.
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Why are you asking us? You're the expert! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I think Gorgeous George better describes him. And that's how we remember him.

I mean... the guy was gorgeous. image
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I answered my own question while writing that first post when realizing there was a Hulk Hogan registry under the wrestler name and not his given birthname. I would say the only difference is the female version of Gorgeous George is out there but that easily could be accounted for.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Ask PSA to list him as "Gorgeous" George Wagner.

If, prior to your post, I saw a Registry that listed "GEORGE WAGNER" I would have had NO idea who it was. If there was a Registry Set for "GORGEOUS GEORGE", THAT, on the other hand, would be very familiar to me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    What do the 3 cards they grade have him listed as:

Gorgeous George or George Wagner... that's the answer.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Rob,
    Just 2 days ago I decided to watch old videos of performers from the 50s and picked up a dvd of wrestling matches of the 50s. I watched O'Conner,the killer, and of course Gorgeous George who was in 3 matches. It was very entertaining but George was tops.
  • Options
    The cards list him as Gorgeous George.... I read his wiki page and it was quite entertaining.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    There's baseball player sets for Jim Catfish Hunter. They should add the nickname in for Gorgeous George.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob,
    Just 2 days ago I decided to watch old videos of performers from the 50s and picked up a dvd of wrestling matches of the 50s. I watched O'Conner,the killer, and of course Gorgeous George who was in 3 matches. It was very entertaining but George was tops. >>

Hell yes that dude was super flamboyant, my Dad talks about him all the time.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    It is super interesting that Gorgeous George is given credit for being the first wrestler (athlete?) to have "Entrance Music" and blurb where he antagonized the crowd to such extent that there were people who simply wanted to watch to see him lose. He understood the heel was a way to attract people to his matches.
  • Options
    "Gorgeous" was added to the player registry....I am sure it will help ID him to most collectors.
  • Options
    Here is another thing they should do, grade exhibits of other sports other than baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Gorgeous George set is now online....."Gorgeous" is on there instead of just George Wagner.