Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1992 Shaq Beam team question?

What's the difference between the stadium club beam team and the stadium club members only beam team? Is one worth more than the other?
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    The regular Beam Team cards were inserted in packs.

The Members Only Beam Team cards were sent via mail to club members in complete set form. They have a Members Only embossed stamp on them.

The regular Beam Team cards are better.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    ...and they were only in series two.

Coincidence, the last case I bought direct.
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thanks for asking the question and the response, I had always wondered the same thing.

Staying with Shaquille, what is the difference between the UD #1 card and the #1b card? Is one tougher than the other? I notice one card has #1 Draft Pick stamped on it, and the other has Trade Card stamped on it. Thanks for the help.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt

The shaq card was first offered as a trade card. It was in packs as a redemption card (series 1). You send it in and they sent you back the card with a hole punched in it plus his UD card
    that says 'trade card' at the top of card. It is designated 1b and psa labels it as such.

The most saught after version is labeled just card #1. It has #1 draft pick at the tiop of the card. It was i believe in much lower production numbers and I think but not sure in series 2 packs.

PSA registry only recognizes the card #1.

Back then shaq was the cat's meow and I sent in at least 30 or so. I didn't buy any more U D product as I thought I had the only shaq card there was going to be.
    So I had to buy card #1

For anyones info....the beam teams were placed in the boxes in a standard order I believe 3 packs down from the top. You could get it in 1 try or at most 4.
    so beware any open box is most likely searched.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Spot on responses. The Beam Teams were 1:36 packs of series 2 Stadium Club and I believe maybe 2 per box in the Jumbos. I always thought the same about the location but was proven wrong by some BBCE Stadium boxes I bought this year.

I always felt the regular, pack inserted cards were the better of the two. Same goes for the UD RC. The #1 inserted in series 2 packs were "short printed" and were maybe 1 in a box if that. Very similar to the rate Griffey's would turn up in High Number 1989 UD Baseball.

Shaq RC cards are great. Another good one was the Magic's All Rookie Team from Hoops.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    <<....so beware any open box is most likely searched. >>

Note: They did come sealed from Topps.
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes sealed. However The cost factor per pack is based on what you could get out of them.

If you were paying full price for a pack and had no chance for the high dollar inserts then you were getting cheated.

In 1992 Shaq ruled and all his cards esp Beam Team cards were hi dollar.

A dealer friend told me of the pack pattern. Then said let me show you. Opened a sealed box. Then went down and pulled

one pack. no beam team. he said it must be one of another 3 at this level. He got it in 3 picks. Opened up another box. Hit in 2 packs.

It was that easy. Now he has nearly 2 full boxes to sell w/o a beam team. Back the the Jordan was very hot also.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhhh.......the early 90s..the glory days of basketball cards
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhhhh.......the early 90s..the glory days of basketball cards >>

imageimage
  • Options
    Just an FYI, the last 3 boxes I purchased from BBCE had 2 Beam Team's in each. I pulled 2 Jordan's but no Shaq. That's a pretty great set, IMO.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great info. Thanks. I wonder why the redemption cards are worth less than pack pulled. I would think the redemption cards would have been a little more rare than the pack pulled ones. Also you can still pull them from wax. But the redemption ones are done.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    i remember the ud shaq redemption cards were also placed in the same location of every box. i pulled a few with this trick. the card shop owner didn't believe me, he pulled out a couple sealed boxes and i ripped open a couple to show him.