Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

His "French" coin looks Belgian, and "Napoleon" looks like Leopold.

Not that you can tell very well, from the way the pictures are focused. Must've smeared Vaseline on the lens.

Does any of this add to one's confidence about this raw gold coin?

Nope.

Probably is real, but I wouldn't trust the seller to know that. I mean, if you can't read LEOPOLD on there...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, this is even worse.image

"Crudly" struck. Ha.

I couldn't resist:

<< <i>Guess again!

That's not a Roman gold coin. It's a fanam from India. Don't believe me? Just search for "fanam". 800 BC? Hilarious. Rome didn't strike coins in 800 BC. Rome hadn't been founded in 800 BC. NOBODY struck coins in 800 BC. Know why? Coins hadn't been INVENTED yet. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, this is even worse.image

"Crudly" struck. Ha.

I couldn't resist:

<< <i>Guess again!

That's not a Roman gold coin. It's a fanam from India. Don't believe me? Just search for "fanam". 800 BC? Hilarious. Rome didn't strike coins in 800 BC. Rome hadn't been founded in 800 BC. NOBODY struck coins in 800 BC. Know why? Coins hadn't been INVENTED yet. >>

>>

Lol, ebay can be entertaining sometimes.
  • So what was Napolean doing in 1882? When did he ever have a large beard?

edit: added "large". Certainly not the same league as Napolean III.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Napoleon III.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • OK, you got me. Let's make the comparision "large full beard".
    Predictably, the response of the second seller of that "800 BC Roman" (sic) coin (i.e., the Indian fanam) included some unrepeatable phrases.

Basically, he suggested I perform anatomically impossible deeds upon myself. image

Guess I deserved that, considering the sarcasm I just couldn't stop myself from using at his ridiculous description.

He did say they don't do much with world coins and the information on the holder came from the person they'd acquired it from.

One hopes for his sake that he didn't pay the price on the sticker.

Speaking of chuckleheads, it seems I'm not immune to the condition, myself. What comes around goes around. image

Just got this message regarding this coin.

<< <i>NG means NUEVA GUATEMALA, no such thing as Nueva Granada mint in Guatemala, Nueva Granada is Colombia please inform yourself >>

Moral of the story: if one is to go around correcting others, one should proceed a little more carefully with one's own auction listings. image

(But at least I didn't identify the king as George III, or the country as Ancient Greece from "800 BC". Ha.)