Home U.S. Coin Forum

1901 "solid gold" nickel

I've been helping to publicize displays and auctions of 1913 Liberty Head nickels for over two decades, and usually someone will contact me (or the nearest local dealer in the town where the news item appeared) to eagerly say, "I've got a 1910 nickel. Is that worth more (than the 1913 Liberty nickel)?"

Today, I got a different kind of call from an Orange County California senior citizen who saw the AP story in today's Orange County Register about the Walton nickel. The man was referred to me by the AP bureau in Richmond, Virginia where the story originated. He excitedly told me he had "an even better coin" and described it as looking just like the one in the picture (the Walton nickel) but it was dated 1901 and "solid gold."

I asked a few polite questions and, of course he apparently simply has a gold plated or gold-tinted 1901 Liberty nickel -- a decoration in a money clip -- that he purchased at a flea market in the mid 1990s. Yes, he still thinks he's got a unique, $5 million "solid gold" coin. I suggested he make arrangements for a dealer to examine it, and tried to calmly explain he should not have unrealistic expectations. He promised to fly me to California to help celebrate. (Actually, I prefer to drive to California from here in Nevada, but I don't anticipate I'll be involved in any celebrations with this determined gentleman.)

Are there any dealers on the Message Board who have received calls from the public this week claiming to have valuable old silver dollars (the 1794 PCGS SP66 that was in the news) or "coins older than the nickel in the news" (the Walton 1913 Liberty nickel)? Got stories to share?

-donn-
"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received a call from somebody who says he has a 1913 Liberty nickel ... in plaster!

Supposedly made by B. Max Mehl as a promotional piece. Anybody ever hear of it? With Mehl's involvement in the 1913 Liberty nickel market, it's plausible.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received a call from somebody who says he has a 1913 Liberty nickel ... in plaster!

Supposedly made by B. Max Mehl as a promotional piece. Anybody ever hear of it? With Mehl's involvement in the 1913 Liberty nickel market, it's plausible. >>

That would be a cool collectible.

And, I never heard of it, but it does seem possible
    Frank

BHNC #203

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best and worst part of purchasing a coin shop nearly 4 years ago are the phone calls. I would tell stories, but I do not want to embarass any of those who may be lurkers and loving people who just did not know, and called with questions. In essence, my answers are often "I don't know, but can find out". But the phone calls ? image... Oh man. I've had a few hundred that led me to finally say, "I must see the coin".
    edit to add:
    It's been over a year, so this information should be okay to release, publicly.
    A federal agency contacted me to assist them on a case. It was not a counterfeiting case.
    One of the agents asked me if I found anything special in the collection they brought me in to look at.... I told him "no" , but when I came upon this coin in the lot, I did say, "... if this were real it would be worth millions."
    Sorry... am not at liberty to give much more information than that.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey!
    At least mine is certified!

peacockcoins

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Potential?" Do they mean that it might have been a 1913 before it was altered to 1913???
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you two are the best image
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would have been funny if the previous two coins were flipped over and had "D" mintmarks.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey!
    image >>

On a scale from 1 to Awesome ... that's Awesome!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey!
    image >>

On a scale from 1 to Awesome ... that's Awesome! >>

Actually, that's a joke.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file