Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I could seriously be led astray from numismatics by stuff like... (UPDATE: amazing surprise!!!)

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant go wrong with the classics. For me its my 49 ford tudor, alot of hours spent cutting, welding, and fabricating.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought about buying an ancient ring. Part of me feels that it's too eerie - coins are impersonal and weren't worn around someone's finger so I'm fine with them. Rings on the other hand... they're very close to people who may have died with it on, or at least spent most of their days wearing it.

I wouldn't mind being swayed away from this thought process if you have a counter-argument image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I have a few ancient/medieval rings. They're rather inexpensive since most countries' export laws are much looser with them (or so I've been told). I had a really nice bronze ring with green patina and a blue intaglio with a scorpion once. Bought off ebay from a "reputable" dealer (as far as ebay goes). It was pretty neat, but was about a size 6.5, too small for even my pinky. I also wasn't 100% sure it was authentic. It was just too nice to be that old IMO. I ended up reselling it on ebay and made a few bucks.

I still have a few, mostly bronze. Will see if I can dig up some photos.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>I've always thought about buying an ancient ring. Part of me feels that it's too eerie - coins are impersonal and weren't worn around someone's finger so I'm fine with them. Rings on the other hand... they're very close to people who may have died with it on, or at least spent most of their days wearing it.

I wouldn't mind being swayed away from this thought process if you have a counter-argument image >>

Funny, I was just thinkin' along similar lines this morning.

If that bothers you, think about all the matched pairs of ancient earrings for sale. You've probably seen 'em.

Now, just think about it for a moment.

A Roman matron is out walking and she loses an earring. Millennia later, an archaeologist or metal detectorist finds it. OK, easy scenario there. Casual loss means ONE earring comes down to us from antiquity.

But now stop to consider what's practically the only way a PAIR of matched earrings survives from antiquity.

How is it that they were dug out of the ground? Because you know they were dug outta the ground at one point. Almost all ancient artifacts were.

(OK, so maybe a few buried hoards contained matched pairs of earrings in them. But not very many.)

Think really hard about the one way a matched pair would be found.

Got it yet?

I thought so.

Brrr. Eerie, huh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    *shudders*
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive thought about buying some just to have. I think they're pretty neat.

But part of me worries about fakes so thats one of the main reasons I own none.
  • Options
    I really, really, REALLY like this.

And hey, it's my zodiac symbol, too. Me and Augustus had that in common.

In a similar vein, this ring has been in my VCoins wishlist for almost a year. They recently reduced the price, too, making it even more tempting. Just think, if I had that, I could buy some sealing wax and when I ship people packages, I could seal the inner packaging with that (not the outer mailer). Would be too cool.

But ... nahh, I dunno. It's all very tempting, but on my limited budget, the last thing I need is to be led astray like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    As well as coins, I have a real interest in ancient items.

Here is my small collection of Roman gold.

Not the best condition but I like them. A pair of earrings, 2x single earrings (one with the lower part missing) and a gold ring ( unfortunately slightly bent and missing its intaglio or stone).

Sorry about the picture being a bit grainy but I took it a while ago with my phone before I put them into the bank safe and its the only image I have.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is:
    SATYR "CARRYING" NYMPH and
    NYMPH "HELPS" SATYR

Just call it what it is. Early erotic jewelry from or influenced by the cult of Dionysus.
    These descriptions kind of take away/disrespect the mystique and cultural/historical heritage with
    which all of the pieces on the page hold.

I was also into the antiquities game for a while and still have a few pieces. But couldn't really shake
    the idea that some were gathered through illegal or disrespectful practices.

It's the same reason I don't visit mummies in museums.

• Options
    Here's some pics. I still have the ring in the second pic. Has a pretty nice brown/green patina to it. Brown where it would have experience wear during its life (shank/band), green on the head area.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>Here's some pics. I still have the ring in the second pic. Has a pretty nice brown/green patina to it. Brown where it would have experience wear during its life (shank/band), green on the head area.
    >>

Wow, I love the first one! If you don't mind sharing, could you let me know where you got it from? I'd love to scour the same places to hopefully find a similar piece!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Blue and scorpions will often do it. I agree the first ring is really appealing.

Lord M, is it possible that you miss your vest so much, that you're seeking to fill the void with a ring?

I have a leather wallet with a coin encased; and a coin money clip; and coin cuff links (5 sets); and something else I'm sure of it. But no rings.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thanks, it was quite nice. I believe I got it from the seller named ancientcaesar (ebay). I still have him on my favorite seller's list, but he doesn't seem to have quite as much neat stuff (at attractive prices) as he used to. I believe I paid about $80 for that ring about 7 years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>My favorite is:
    SATYR "CARRYING" NYMPH and
    NYMPH "HELPS" SATYR

Just call it what it is. Early erotic jewelry from or influenced by the cult of Dionysus.
    These descriptions kind of take away/disrespect the mystique and cultural/historical heritage with
    which all of the pieces on the page hold. >>

I think those particular ones are modern, if you read the descriptions.

Thanks for posting that stuff, Hus. Ancient gold just has an ... aura to it.

Pokermandude- that scorpion intaglio is AWESOME!