Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Significant Baseball Achievements

Please put these 6 Baseball Achievements in order from Most Significant to Least Significant:

Perfect Game
3,000 Strikeouts
300 Wins
500 Home Runs
3,000 Hits
No-Hitter

These are the 6 categories listed on the PSA/DNA Single Signed Baseball Registry. I believe the Perfect Game is the Most Significant achievement, but I think the 500 Home Run club is probably the most collected.

Edited to add: Actually the Perfect Game may not be the Most Significant since it's a one-time event... whereas 4 of these take years/decades to accomplish.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    300 wins. dunno how to rank the others, but the way they play it today, i'd say pitching longetivity in the form of that number of victories would be quite remarkable.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Unassisted triple play??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    300 wins by far. When will it happen again? There will be perhaps not a boatload but several no hitters this year. Last year we had multiple perfect games. Hard to list two through six but before hearing arguments pro and con I will say
    1. 300 wins
    2. 3,000 strikeouts
    3. 3,000 hits
    4. 500 home runs
    5. perfect game
    6. no hitter
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Unassisted triple play??

~ >>

That's a good one; but it's not listed in the Registry.

One I'd like to see in the registry would be Natrual Cycle... "The natural cycle, in which the hits come in order from least total bases to most (single, double, triple, and home run), has been accomplished 13 times in MLB history."
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    biggest slumpbuster?
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    IMO one can only argue that the most significant is 300 wins or 3,000 hits

A "monkey on a typewriter" will eventually throw a no-hitter or perfect game. While there is obviously skill involved IMO they are largely coincidental.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>IMO one can only argue that the most significant is 300 wins or 3,000 hits

A "monkey on a typewriter" will eventually throw a no-hitter or perfect game. While there is obviously skill involved IMO they are largely coincidental. >>

What about 500 Home Runs? I know they've had a 40% increase in the past decade due to PEDs... has PEDs killed this club?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO one can only argue that the most significant is 300 wins or 3,000 hits

A "monkey on a typewriter" will eventually throw a no-hitter or perfect game. While there is obviously skill involved IMO they are largely coincidental. >>

What about 500 Home Runs? I know they've had a 40% increase in the past decade due to PEDs... has PEDs killed this club? >>

Even more than PED's I think players are getting so much bigger and stronger. HR's will continue to be hit in large quantities.

300 wins is the most significant.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    While monkeys can't hit home runs -- I see your point. It also seems the rankings will differ with respect to the era.

In the earlier years of baseball, 500 HRs was nearly impossible, while 300 wins was more common -- making modern 300-game winners pretty special.

HRs are the opposite -- making Ruth, Foxx, Ott, etc. statistical standouts.

PEDs or not, players are simply bigger and stronger - therefore more HRs in the modern era.

That said, across all eras, 3,000 hits seems pretty well distributed among the years -- although having the risk of "compilation bias"
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I'd rank them:

300 Wins
    3000 hits
    500 HR
    Perfect Game
    3,000 KO
    No-Hitter

300 wins is definitely the hardest. Not sure why I ranked perfect game above 3000K - but I could switch them.
    Obviously there have been more PG than 3000k, but I just thought the perfect game was more significant.
  • Options

<< <i>Please put these 6 Baseball Achievements in order from Most Significant to Least Significant:

Perfect Game
    3,000 Strikeouts
    300 Wins
    500 Home Runs
    3,000 Hits
    No-Hitter

These are the 6 categories listed on the PSA/DNA Single Signed Baseball Registry. I believe the Perfect Game is the Most Significant achievement, but I think the 500 Home Run club is probably the most collected.

Edited to add: Actually the Perfect Game may not be the Most Significant since it's a one-time event... whereas 4 of these take years/decades to accomplish. >>

A no-hitter and a perfect game seem a little redundant. I would remove no-hitter and keep perfect game, as a perfect game is essentially a no-hitter, with the exception of there being no errors, or walks.

If its only a one game achievement, I would replace no-hitter with "hitting for the cycle" or "hitting 4-homers" in a game, which are less common than no-hitters.

That said, I would think 300 Wins remains the most significant. There will probably be a growing number of those who hit 600 home runs, but I would think 3,000 hits to be a very close second. Then 500 homers.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Why would wins even be discussed, since it's now (rightfully) the majority opinion that wins are more a function of team than the individual. As more advanced stats become more and more common, old world stats like wins and RBI are being left in the dustbin.

1) Perfect Game/No hitter would be the most significant, due to their relative rarity. Just because we had a run of them last year doesn't make the perfect game any less significant. 23 perfect games in history is a pretty rare feat.
    2) 500 Home Runs, especially in this era of heightened PED suspicion. 25 players in this club.
    3) 3,000 strikeouts, as it's much harder to be dominant for that period of time than a hitter needed to get 3,000 hits. 16 players in this list.
    4) 3,000 hits, due to the longevity required to acheive. 28 players.
    5) 300 wins, only putting this on here due to it being included in the original list. 24 players here.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    300 wins
    3000 SO's
    Perfect games
    3000 hits
    no hitter
    500 Home runs

I'd like to add:

A hitting streak over 30 games - very very rarely done !
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"