Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone busting 2013 Topps yet?

I found it at Target today - they had regular retail packs, blasters that advertise 81 cards with a special commemorative patch card included, and 72-card blasters that looked to have much better odds on inserts ($9.99 each). I thought those were hobby blasters.
I bought all 4 of the 72-card blasters they had. It turns out that there aren't regular packs inside, but one clear plastic-wrapped package at the bottom of the blaster.

Each pack had 5 red-bordered parallels, a Chasing the Dream and a Chasing History insert, an Emerald (foil) parallel, 4 foil Chasing History inserts (unadvertised), a code card, a '72 style mini, and 2 packs had gold parallels (Melky Meza rookie and NL batting average leaders, both #/2013), while the other 2 had Calling Cards inserts. I also pulled a Cut to the Chase die-cut (Jeter) and a Greats red parallel (Mays #/50). image

I haven't checked to see if I got any variation SPs.

Nick
Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

Comments

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I didn't look at target but i will have some thursday i hope.
  • Looks like a super nice product.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'm going out with the wife today...Macy's, Kohl's, Penney's...will defintely have to make a stop at Target along the way.....

al.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about to pick up 6 jumbo boxes and 6 regular hobby boxes.
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    As a guy who in fairly interested in getting a box or two of these, what should be I be looking for. I don't really know anything about new cards and how they work. Are there any boxes that are more desireable than others? (jumbo boxes, hobby boxes, blaster packs)
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    If any of you are interested in purchasing retail, I have a guy that I buy retail cases from. He has the 2013 Topps blaster cases available for $250 shipped (16 blasters). PM me if you want his contact info.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished opening up my cases and thought I would share some of the highlights. Topps did a much better job with player selection for game used and the autos seemed better than what I've pulled in the past. BIG hit at the end!!!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    I got a blaster box at wal mart today. Got 10 blue bordered cards. Must be a wal mart exclusive. Got 1 emerald foil card, a red sox Danial Nava. 1 in 6 packs. The box is smaller this year. Nice looking card, I think I will build it. Dave.
  • WFC2008WFC2008 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Pulled a Buster Posey Out of Bounds short print from a retail blaster so that made me happy.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth!

Yowza!

Stoney, PM me if you want to part with a 1-330 set. I vowed to not buy as much trying to assemble a set.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Those do look nice..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    went to two targets in my area yesterday and no boxes.....one had some packs but neither had any boxes.....no racks...no 72 count boxes....I was disappointed.....today waiting for the plumber....there goes my card buying budget!!

al.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just finished opening up my cases and thought I would share some of the highlights. Topps did a much better job with player selection for game used and the autos seemed better than what I've pulled in the past. BIG hit at the end!!!

>>

Very nice Carter card
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I love the look of those Silver Slugger cards!! Pretty dang cool looking.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I hit a WalMart yesterday and bought 2 of their hanger boxes (72 cards, $9.98 - WalMart feels the need to be cheaper than Target). Insert breakdown came out very similar to my Target packs - a gold #/2013 and a Cut to the Chase in one pack, and a Calling Cards plus a Desert Camo Foil #/99 in the other. I also pulled a Manny Machado as the Emerald parallel from one pack (I'd estimate about 4K of them exist, though they're not serial numbered).

No SPs yet.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I busted 2 jumbo boxes on Wednesday... definitely not worth the money, but still fun none the less.

Was able to put together 2 sets and still have quite a few gradeable extras. These were my hits...

I'll probably keep the Musial, and the Middlebrooks may make it to my "to be graded" stack... Will probably look to sell the others, and one (or both) of the sets!
  • I broke 2 jumbo boxes as well on Thursday. I really like this years set. Really clean design. I wasn't a big fan of the flagship 2010 or 2012. I've been doing Chrome, Finest, and Platinum for the last couple of years. Surprisingly, I actually found the value to be there. 2 full sets 1-330. Sold off the Mays MVP, Godschmidt auto, Alex Gordon + McCutchen SP's, and a couple of other cards...and made back the cost of one of the boxes. I think I'm gonna go for more and finish the inserts this year.
  • Curious, are the camo/military cards numbered?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • I really like the design of the base set this year.
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the design of the base set this year. >>

I thought now a days you threw away the base cards.....
  • Nah...you just hold onto them for 10 years. Complain they're worthless and taking up space. Donate them to a school or church to feel better about yourself and take a tax write off.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    prthd - they're #/99.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I really like the design of the base set this year.

Me too.

You know what I wish they'd do? Make a parallel set of the cards using the cardboard they used in the 60s and 70s.

These 2013 cards look great! Nice design. But, they just don't feel right in glossy.

• << <i>I really like the design of the base set this year.

Me too.

You know what I wish they'd do? Make a parallel set of the cards using the cardboard they used in the 60s and 70s.

These 2013 cards look great! Nice design. But, they just don't feel right in glossy. >>

They did in 2009/2010 I believe in blasters at Target. Two of the 8 or 10 packs per blaster were on retro stock with old school Topps logo. Loved the concept.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • ssdawg - you also got what I believe to be an error card on the Ruth MVP plaque card. Yours, mine (Sorry I started another thread), and 1 other on ebay say "National League." I also got a bizarre Koufax one as well.

prthd - yes the Camo cards are #ed to 99
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Is there a checklist for the "out of bounds" parallels?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Not sure why there are cards numbered past 331 on the list...but from all accounts, this is accurate and up to date

1 Bryce Harper
    13 Brett Lawrie
    14 Paul Konerko
    16 Andre Ethier
    20 Kevin Youkilis
    27 Mike Trout
    44 Anthony Rizzo
    70 Todd Frazier
    100 Mike Moustakas
    105 Freddie Freeman
    107 Joe Mauer
    112 Mark Reynolds
    122 Andrew McCutchen
    128 Buster Posey
    135 Eric Hosmer
    204 Alex Gordon
    213 Alex Rodriguez
    216 Josh Willingham
    242 Matt Kemp
    282 Russell Martin
    311 Rajai Davis
    324 Cameron Maybin
    350 Albert Pujols
    400 David Wright
    450 Jay Bruce
  • bought a few boxes of Topps and pulled a Harper black border numbered to 62. I have some issues with how Topps does their packing. The problem with all these inserts is that its expected now, rather than surprising. And with jumbo packs, you know which ones are coming and in what order. Once in a while something different pops up, but the "chase" (this years theme) is not about the inserts. The inserts may as well be part of the base set. Although I really enjoy the 72 minis, like the 87s last year and I like the print them on cardboard stock. The white stock after a while seems sterile.

A few questions: Does anyone know who the hot rookies are this coming season? Also, this Bryce Harper card. Should I sell now before he swings the bat or do you think he is great american hope?