Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New 8 reales pick up

Bought this from a deal after he wanted me to sell it on ebay, didnt sell at his price so he dropped it quite a bit just to get rid of it and to make up for my time and ebay fees.
Weight is 26.4 grams

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one image
  • Options
    Mexican 8R's from that time period are almost always crude. This is a pretty nice coin for the type - but not quite high enough grade to bring the big bucks.

I bought what I believe was a 1815 (I have bought so many coins since then) Mexico City 8R as "Damaged" - but it was struck on a badly flawed planchet. I traded it away at the last show.

Give it a quick swim in acetone - might take care of the light brown "smudges" scattered on the obv/rev.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jinx,

Can you post the image of the edge, please? It could be due to how beat-up this coin is, but there are a few things (thin lettering around the legend, spots of porosity, uneven dentils) that make this coin a suspect in my mind. Seeing the edge would help.

<< <i>Mexican 8R's from that time period are almost always crude. >>

While a lot of the War of Independence issues (especially from Provisional Mints) are crude, in 1820 and 1821 Zacatecas mint was producing quality planchets and coins that came close to rivaling Mexico City issues. In fact, based on the number of die varieties and availability of high grade examples, it is believed that 1821 date was continued to be struck by Zacatecas way into the early Republic years due to the popularity of this type in trade.

If we talk about Mexico City mint, even throughout the War for Independence period it continued to strike high quality coins on proper planchets of the correct weight and alloy composition. The only major "defect" associated with portrait coins there was strike weakness and it happened during the Armored Bust series of Fernando VII (1808 - 1811). Finding a fully struck Armored Bust example can be pretty challenging, especially if you're trying to locate one in AU-MS. It seems to have been addressed when the obverse switched to the Draped Bust design in 1811, but there are a few particular years (like 1813) where the strike weakness returns.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edge seems ok - do you see the 2 overlaps in the design 180 degrees across from each other resulted from edging using two edge dies, as was done at the time? It's probably just my paranoia, but there's still something that doesn't sit well with me. Let's just say that it looks good enough that it would most likely get at least authenticated as genuine if sent to a TPG.