Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1963 Fleer Dave Stenhouse + a Toppsvault addition

As a self-proclaimed centering curmudgeon - I'm very pleased with this upgrade for my set. Unfortunately - as I've said - I'm still at 87% after 9 yrs of collecting! And I've still got some cards to upgrade - the centering isn't amenable to my new focus - to do the impossible - get the entire set - centered. My goal is an 8 but sometimes a 9 comes up that meets the centering criteria. I got this card at a very fair price for a 9 - it comes in two different backgrounds - one more blue and the other more gray.

It's so hard to find centered specimens from this set!

1963 Fleer Dave Stenhouse

Dave only played 3 years in the bigs - with a losing record - 16 and 28 - tho he did play in the '62 AS game. He talked about developing a knuckle curve that acted like a sinker. Since he spent a bit of time in the minors, he was close to 30 when he pitched in the majors.

He did have 2 sons - Mike Stenhouse did play a bit in the majors while brother Dave Jr. doesn't appear to have any ML record?

And an addition - from the Toppsvault - to my comic art collection:

Herb Paterra - Buffalo Bills - born: Nov 8, 1940 - graduate: Michigan State University

It appears he only played one season professionally with the Buffalo Bills (as a LB)
in 1963.

He retired in 2007 at New Mexico State. He was drafted in the 18th round - 140th overall - by Buffalo.

In his overall coaching career - he was well travelled in both the pros and college FB - also at the high school level.

Here's his 64T RC:

And here's the original pen & ink artwork for the cartoon back:

As you can see - they cropped the artwork.

Thanx for viewing.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff as always Mike.

I like the fact that you got the full cartoon artwork. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BTW Mike, how big is the cartoon artwork? Hard to get a perspective with the picture.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike - thanx for the kind words.

This particular piece is 5X4" approximately.

This type of artwork was done on large poster board and then cut up. I've seen on rare occasions where a segment with 6 to 8 cards came up for sale.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike - thanx for the kind words.

This particular piece is 5X4" approximately.

This type of artwork was done on large poster board and then cut up. I've seen on rare occasions where a segment with 6 to 8 cards came up for sale. >>

Great information, thanks for the reply.

Collecting:
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-ups Mike. Gotta love 50-50 centered vintage cards!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice Stenhouse. He is from R.I., as am I. In typical R.I. fashion where everyone knows everybody, my girlfriend is a hygenist who now cleans Dave's teeth! too bad he wasn;t flashing his smile on the card!

Wait till I tell her to tell him that a grown man went gaga over his centered rookie card!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking 63!
    With your eye you should send in all your 9s from this set when your done and try and get a bump 10.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    My youngest son has been going to the Rhode Island Baseball Institute, which is run by local former MLB and minor league players, for about 10 years, and my older son went before him for many years.

Dave Stenhouse, as well as his sons, are involved in the Institute; Dave still teaches pitching classes, including one in which my son is enrolled in every Saturday.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I love those '63 Fleer cards and they look even better centered and and in unbelieveable condition like the one you posted. It just makes me wonder what Fleer had in store for the additional series of cards they undoubtably had planned for that year.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I love those '63 Fleer cards and they look even better centered and and in unbelieveable condition like the one you posted. It just makes me wonder what Fleer had in store for the additional series of cards they undoubtably had planned for that year. >>

I don't think I'm a big fan of the 1963 Fleer cards. It's interesting that Fleer has squares on the left and Topps has circles on the right. I wonder if it was a coincidence or if it was a conscious decision by Fleer or Topps?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Whatever happend I think fleer did it right, I like the diamonds better than the cirlces as it feels more like a baseball atmosphere
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever happend I think fleer did it right, I like the diamonds better than the cirlces as it feels more like a baseball atmosphere >>

That's how I feel also.

Totally liked the style - the first time I saw it.

I'm sure that the 2nd series was going to be "pack" filled of current and future stars.

A great find would be a file from Fleer listing the projected next series.

Back then - Topps was probably the bully on the block and controlled the market.

Tho the "beginning of the end" may be attributed to the lawsuit in 1953: Haelan Laboratories, Inc.(Bowman) v. Topps Chewing Gum, Inc - where Topps tried to "steal" the players that had exclusive contracts with Bowman - by signing them to the same type of contract for photos on baseball cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    I really wish they did do a 2nd series. If only they made a single issue Rose rookie!! That set would be a whole different animal.