Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

John Kamauff back in 4th!!!!

Congratulations John!

Nice finds to upgrade your collection!

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    John's kicking Dpoole's butt! You going to take that Dpoole????

Angel Dee's
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    I'm sure that Spooly's comment is light-hearted, but it is also light-headed and captures some of what I often find wrong with the registry set concept - it sometimes pits one collector against another. In any case, the comment reminds me of a junior high school gym class. image

Both David Poole and John Karmoff have really, truly great Lincoln sets. Each deserves enormous credit. Isn't it amazing that there are over 60 other sets behind both of them. If we must compare them, let's do it a year from now and on a coin-by-coin basis, not on some grade-point average.

• Options
    I'm going to have to root for John, simply because I need to buy those GEMS!!! The summer just can't come soon enough. I must say that I know both sets contain some great coins and I hope I'll be able to keep company with these sets in the future.....

Sorry to see your set go John, it truly is a labor of love.

Rich

The R.S. Gore collection......
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I just have to wonder WHO is upgrading the "John Kamauff/Angel Dee" set. I thought this was a set the was set to be sold in 7 weeks. Is it no longer the "John Kamauff" set, and now it is the "this is what Angel Dee has for sale set"?

Maybe if Superior had a decent website they could put the set up so we could see it?

• Options
    I recently spoke to Angel Dees (Andy) about the set on Sunday and it is John's Set. Andy was a guide in helping him pick out some very nice coins, much like the work he has done for me, and numerous other collectors both on the registry and off. I recently picked up my 14D from Andy and in making a purchase of that magnitude it was great to have some assistance in picking out the PQ coin for the grade. It is my understanding that John wanted to give Andy credit for helping him build the set. In the Indian quarter eagles there is a set that is listed as "Sil Digenova Customer". Once again it is giving recognition to the group that built the set.

It could have been listed as the "4 Sale set", however, it is nice to acknowledge the people who have helped you along the way, something I need to do more of.

Rich

• Options
    That is fine, I just do not want to start seeing sets with prices in the "comment section".

• Options
    Rich,

I think that much of the confusion could have been avoided if John or Andy had actually registered this set. Acknowledging Andy was a nice touch, and I have seen it many times (Legend Trade Dollar set comes to mind). However, it was actually registered by Superior Galleries, who is handling the auction, and the owner's e-mail is listed as a Superior address. That lends to the confusion and makes it look like Superior listed the set as a way to hype the upcoming sale, regardless of the owner's original intentions in listing.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I couldn't agree more. I think Superior did a poor job in describing the set and the title added alot of confusion.

Rich
  • Options
    It's a great set, but upgrading a top 5 set...... after it's been list for auction? Seems weird to me.

• Options
    Is it possible that Superior submitted several coins to PCGS for regrading that they felt might upgrade. That seems to be standard practice when selling a top quality Registry set. I remember that Bill Walser had upgrades on several of his SLQ's when he sold them through David Lawrence a few months back.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    That's a good point Keith. Better to get them up front..... then after the auction! image

• Options
    I haven't seen the catalog yet, they must be getting close to locking down the set and getting ready for auction. I would think it's got to go out soon. We just need Spooly to list his large cents next image I can't keep playing second fiddle in the series now that Bill is gone.

Rich
  • Options
    Hell Keyrock if I had your money I would retire! I can move faster with my circulated coins, than you can with those MONSTER's you buy! image In the end I am going to take a Keyrock as@kicking in points! image

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    anytime you wish to compare P mints ,D mints or S mints I will compare coin for coin. Ok
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, when and where's this auction going to be????

David
  • Options
    Wow.... The Top Gun makes a post! Stewart Blay....... Ok please unlock your set so we can look at it!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart: Welcome to the boards. Please turn on your PM. I have an MS69RD Lincoln to tell you about. image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Stewart,

Welcome to the boards.

Rich
  • Options
    jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Stewart,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting!

jy8s

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stewart: Welcome to the boards. Please turn on your PM. I have an MS69RD Lincoln to tell you about. Wondercoin

Is there no shame? I hope Mr. Blay will stay on the board so we can benefit from his input. I personally would prefer his expertise and opinions to his money.
    Doug
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Stewart
    I agree with Doug.I'd love to see you stick around.I would also love to see your Registry Set.However I respect your decision and won't bug you about it.I of course will wait and see after I acquire the last coin for my Set.Did anyone ever find out what David Hall did with the 1936 PR66 CAM Lincoln?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Welcome Stewert,
    Glad to see you joined. Everytime I see the lists and see your name at the top, all I can say to myself is "it must be good to be the king"

-sog
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more -- it must be good to be the king.

Mr. Blay, since I am a distant third from you in the Lincoln Proof categories, I was curious if you would share how you have built such a fantastic collection. Have you bought them already holdered, or have you owned the coins and then certified them? You are so far ahead of any #2, I'm sure we could all benefit from how you have done it.

Thanks,

Doug
    Doug
  • Options
    I talked with Steve Dee's and he said Superior Galleries will be coming out with the Angel Dee's Collection Catalog sometime in Mid May, and Auction will take place (live of course) sometime in June. The actual date has not yet been set. My catalog should be coming soon. I may not be able to afford anything, but sure am interested in what kind of prices some of the Lincoln's will bring.
    If anyone is interested heres the link to Superior Galleries. They seem to be awfully nice people, but Andy with Angel Dee's seems to be a REAL Nice guy, and extremely knowledgeable, not to mention Mitch (wondercoin) who has helped me a lot recently :-)
    Suerior Galleries
    When I find out when exactly the auction will be, I will post it on the board. The auction bids can be placed by phone, thru their web site, or on ebay.
    Jackie
    P.S. We moved up to the #15 spot on the Lincoln Wheat Collection!!!!imageimageimage Still have a few more coming to update on our registry set that should be worth quite a few grade points!
    Paul (Son of a Gunk): I'm sorry we passed you, NOTimage Don't worry, we will be having to quit buying REAL soon now, so you'll catch back up:-)
    Lambert Collection
    Our Vets deserve the BEST!
    Upgrading:
    PCGS Registery "Lambert Collections" of; Wheat Lincolns, Sac's, and SAE's.
  • Options
    "Is there no shame"

Mr. Wright: Let me tell you something. If I ever received a message that someone wanted to tell me about an MS68 quarter (my series of collecting interest) that would MAKE MY DAY! Get your priorities straight! Wondercoin. image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Sorry Doug:

I don't agree with your comment. If someone were to offer me a coin that I might need, I'd appreciate it, not resent it. And, in any case, I don't think anyone should appoint themselves a censor on the message board. All of the members should be able to judge what they wish to respond to, and what they wish to ignore.

• Options
    Wondercoin, I thought you had promised to tone down the incessant pandering on the boards.

First, we don't know if this is Mr. Blay. I had thought him to be a private collector since he doesn't post the content of his magnificent sets. I respect his privacy. Then we get post number 1 from "StewartBlayNumis" which states "anytime you wish to compare P mints ,D mints or S mints I will compare coin for coin. Ok ". This seems contradictory to me. If it is Mr. Blay, I wish that he would join the forum and share his knowledge and experience with us. It takes a lot more than a fat wallet to build sets like his.

Mr. Blay only has wheatback Lincolns registered as sets. I presume you knew this when you made your offer. There is only one MS69 which is a 1919, which I also presume you knew. Mr. Blay has already been able to search out and acquire the finest grade for 90% of the years and mintmarks in the series, and I doubt, based on his resourcefulness, that he doesn't know where the MS69 is. Further, I doubt that you have this coin in your possession. Nevertheless, you have taken the opportunity to jump on this participant to sell or broker him a coin, right in the middle of another thread at the first whiff of someone purporting to be Mr. Blay. I'm sure if you had this coin on your site, he would have contacted you already. Or, believing that he is now monitoring the boards, you could have posted a seperate thread with that in the title, which I thought was the way you were going to do it, and to which I have no objection.

I think this earmarks the fine line which you cross that aggravates the other board members, including myself. I say these things respectfully, and I do not engage in the childish namecalling which has permeated previous threads regarding your sales approach on this board.

We ALL want to hear what Mr. Blay has to say.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug:

I'm truly sorry to be critical, but ...

If Stewart Blay wishes to share his significant knowledge and expertise about Lincolns with members of this Board, wondercoin's offering him a coin in less than 20 words is not going to turn him off. I doubt that he will because, from what I know, he is a very busy guy, hunting down Lincolns and other coins, but maybe he will share some thoughts. I hope so.

The original topic of this thread was commentary about the Karmoff and Poole collections, but a number of messages have steered off course. So what? Don't read what you don't want to. Show some will power. When you see a post by wondercoin, skip over it! image

You and a couple of other Board Members occasionally want to act as censors and in doing so think you speak for ALL, and that is just inappropriate and incorrect, to say the least. PCGS serves in that role and, if they think wondercoin or you or anyone else is off-base, I trust that they will attend to it.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Gerry;

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I agree with you completely and could not have stated my opinion about this matter any better than you already did.

In addition and on a unrelated note, it is nice to see the Lincoln collectors on this board give those "fish-bait" merc boys a run for their money when it comes to quantity postings about their favorite series. image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    I'm just expressing my opinion, just like you described. Don't respond to my post if you don't want to. It's a two edged sword and I didn't expect you to raise this issue with me. I certainly have not participated in the extremely uncalled for threads about this in the past.

From my limited viewpoint, I can say that when dealers find out that you spend a certain amount of money on coins a month, unsolicited sales pressure becomes very harrassing, to the extent of coins not on your want list, or extremely unreasonable asking prices. I find myself sometimes saying "Don't call me, I'll call you."

I was very interested in this thread when it started because of the question of "commercializing" the registry sets. I think this is an area that PCGS needs to monitor and be very careful. I like Andy's coins, and he is a very nice person to deal with. I have recommended him to several other people without hesitation. I also have no problem with naming a set whatever you want to name it. I am just hoping that the registry sets do not become "dealer sets" for the purpose of selling them at auction. From what I understand, this is NOT the case with the Kamauff/Angel Dee set. I am against "commercializing" sets because I know several dealers who have enough coins in their inventory to create havoc with the Registry Sets.
    Not that they could topple Mr. Blay, but I think it would be bad for the normal collectors.

Maybe the Wondercoin issue is more of a good taste - bad taste issue. Whatever I feel about Wondercoin's sales tactics, I communicate with my wallet. "Don't call me, I'll call you."
    Doug
  • Options
    I give my "power of attormey" to Gerry to complete any further discussion on this thread. image

And, by the way, whomever this poster is who wants to compare Lincoln "p,d,s" mints, imho, Memorial Cents WILL play a vital role in such comparison. Maybe not today, but "tomorrow". image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    My point has been made.
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some very nice coins in the John Kamauff collection. I have had an opportunity to view some of them.I have sold a few coins to Andy that became part of the Kamauff collection.The 1909 s vdb in ms 66 red is better than at least half of the ones. I recently also sold Andy a very nice 1916 s in ms 64 red as well as a blazing orange 1928 in 67 red from an original roll I purchased ten years ago.
    I will be attending the auction in person being an active bidder. I will be happy to meet any Lincoln cent enthusistic collectors at the auction. See you at the auction
    Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart, thanks for the post and welcome to the boards. Everyone here admires the numbers that you have registered. Any chance that you will open your sets for viewing?

Andy has a wonderful eye for coins, and is strictly honest about the coins he sells.

Doug
    Doug
  • Options
    Stewart glad to have on the message boards. How long have you been collecting?

DMWJR - The mission of the PCGS Registry Set Forum

PCGS Set Registry Forum -For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them.