Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who's the best Brave other than Hank Aaron to collect?

I think I might build a collection of a Braves player to honor my dad, who loved them and took me to games!! Who would be the best to collect? Vintage is cool, he saw a lot of them as a kid.

Thanks! Xoxoxo

Comments

• Options
    Warren Spahn - Eddie Matthews cant go wrong with Chipper Jones either.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Greg Maddux
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    What years (decade) were dad's favorite to follow the Braves?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Gonna chime in and say Eddie Mathews.

As a 3-4 hitter combo ('54-'66), between them both him and Aaron, they hit 863 home runs as a duo (Aaron 442, Mathews 421). The most in major league history. Even more than Ruth and Gehrig.

"I've seen three or four perfect swings in my time. This lad (Eddie Mathews) has one of them." - Ty Cobb

Justin
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Otis Nixon

xoxoxoxoxo
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Warren Spahn,Eddie Mathews.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Here is a list of all the players that played for the Atlanta Braves that are in the HOF.

(1) Hank Aaron OF 1966-74
    (2) Eddie Mathews 3B 1966
    (3) Orlando Cepeda 1B 1969-72
    (4) Phil Niekro RHP 1966-1983, 1987
    (5) Hoyt Willhelm RHP 1969-70, 1971
    (6) Gaylord Perry RHP 1981
    (7) Bruce Sutter RHP 1985-1988

Also don't forget about Tom Glavine and John Smoltz.

James

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all time Braves it's got to be Aaron and Spahn. If you only want Atlanta Braves take out Spahn and put in Mathews. JMO
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Maddux
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    I'd say mathews
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mathews, Spahn, Maddux, Chipper, Glavine, Smoltz, Murphy, Niekro
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Got to be Maddux.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I dont follow baseball, but didnt Dale Murphy play his entire career with the braves.
    That is pretty rare in any sport these days(assuming that he actually did). Might be
    something to consider.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont follow baseball, but didnt Dale Murphy play his entire career with the braves.
    That is pretty rare in any sport these days(assuming that he actually did). Might be
    something to consider. >>

Murphy also played with the Phillies and the Rockies....Funny story about the Phillies, I heard Murphy speak at a banquet last week and he said when he first got to the Phillies, John Kruk described the team as 1 Mormon & 24 Morons....lol

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Rockett
  • Options
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Ernie DiGregorio.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Either;

1. Chipper Jones (only Braves lifer on the list, second in all-time Braves plate appearances and OPS only to Aaron)
    2. Warren Spahn (all-time Braves leader in innings and wins)
    3. Greg Maddux
    4. Tom Glavine
    5. Eddie Mathews
    6. John Smoltz
    7. Phil Niekro

I don't think anyone not on this list makes sense. Maddux seems like a good candidate, but he actually spent more of his career on other teams than with the Braves. I would go with either Jones or Spahn, personally.
  • Options
    John Rocker! image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>John Rocker! image >>

Glad someone is giving some Rocker love
  • Options
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I dont follow baseball, but didnt Dale Murphy play his entire career with the braves.
    something to consider. >>

Murphy also played with the Phillies and the Rockies....Funny story about the Phillies, I heard Murphy speak at a banquet last week and he said when he first got to the Phillies, John Kruk described the team as 1 Mormon & 24 Morons....lol

IMF >>

Literally laughed out loud at that!
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>John Rocker! image >>

Glad someone is giving some Rocker love >>

+1
  • Options
    Roland Office
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with Aaron- The Braves moved to Atlanta in '66. Aaron started his career in '54, so really only spent the latter part of his career as a Brave. Don't get me wrong, he is a respected figure in Atlanta and always will be. BUT, Aaron is probably just as well respected in NY or Chicago or LA as he is in Atlanta. He's an historical figure. Atlanta Braves fans don't gush and fawn when they talk about Aaron. They gush and fawn when they talk about Dale Murphy and to a lesser extent Chipper Jones. Third on the list of "beloved" players would likely be Smoltz. I would say Glavine, but half the city still hasn't forgiven him for playing in Queens for 3 years (myself included). If your Dad was an ATLANTA fan, its Murphy, Chipper, and Smoltz. That's who the fans adore, above the rest.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Speaking of Smoltz, this past weekend a teammate of mine said that he attended his daughter's volleyball game. Afterwards John Smoltz came up to her and congratulated on her stellar play!
    In 1989 we saw him at a Sonny's BBQ. My son asked for an autograph and John apologized for their poor performance, promising they would do better.

He's number one in my book!!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    A true Atl Braves fan from the late 70's and 80's loved Glenn Hubbard. Nobody
    ever tried harder.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw 1 Bob Horner in the mix. Was at that 4 homer game, was awesome during the obvious suckage of the 80s.

Murph, Chipper, the pitchers, all good suggestions here so far.
  • Options
    Zane Smith
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks! Xoxoxo >>

It's good to see a little love on these Boards! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Here's the problem with Aaron- The Braves moved to Atlanta in '66. Aaron started his career in '54, so really only spent the latter part of his career as a Brave.

No, actually, Hammerin' Hank was a Milwaukee BRAVE for 12 seasons before the team moved to Atlanta.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the problem with Aaron- The Braves moved to Atlanta in '66. Aaron started his career in '54, so really only spent the latter part of his career as a Brave. Don't get me wrong, he is a respected figure in Atlanta and always will be. BUT, Aaron is probably just as well respected in NY or Chicago or LA as he is in Atlanta. He's an historical figure. Atlanta Braves fans don't gush and fawn when they talk about Aaron. They gush and fawn when they talk about Dale Murphy and to a lesser extent Chipper Jones. Third on the list of "beloved" players would likely be Smoltz. I would say Glavine, but half the city still hasn't forgiven him for playing in Queens for 3 years (myself included). If your Dad was an ATLANTA fan, its Murphy, Chipper, and Smoltz. That's who the fans adore, above the rest. >>

Yeah, he said Brave, not ATLANTA Brave. Hank Aaron is the best Braves player to ever play.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    How about a little love for Bruce "Eggs" Benedict? I was a catcher growing up and, living an hour and a half from Atlanta, he was my favorite Brave.

A little snow on the roof but here he is at the Ted last year - was cool getting to meet him. He was sitting next to Gene Garber and I told Mr. Benedict he was my favorite player. On hearing that, Gene Garber looks over at him at says "You were my favorite player too." Funny stuff.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matthews
    Spahn
    Chipper
    Maddux
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Maddux
    2. Maddux
    3. Maddux

Of course you can tell by my username that I am a bit biased. I am a Chipper fan, but for him to be mentioned in the same breath as Spahn and Matthews is a bit disconcerting. Chipper spent too much time at Hooters to be a Braves ambassador!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I always thought Ralph Garr was underrated.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Brave along the lines of Ralph Garr was Rico Carty. He put up some great numbers but couldn't stay healthy.

As far as the original quesiton, which Braves to collect besides Bad Henry? Mathews and Spahn would be my choice. Guess it depends on what era you collect.
    Daniel
  • Options
  • Options
    Who could ever forget Sid Bream or Ron Gant
  • Options
    If you want the biggest challenge in "completeness" -- there is no choice other than Chipper with all his low print cards. A great Chipper collection is a life-time challenge.

However, if you want to collect players in the Aaron ages -- then Mathews and Spahn lead the parade with Phil Niekro not that far behind.

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want the biggest challenge in "completeness" -- there is no choice other than Chipper with all his low print cards. A great Chipper collection is a life-time challenge.

Rich >>

Yep..Many who love Chipper fear his master set as too daunting. Its currently at 979, but MANY more to be added. Because of the "fear factor", his cards in PSA10 can be had rather inexpensively.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Love all the responses!!!

Thanks for the PM's too! xoxoxoxo
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably Eddie Mathews is the second most popular, but here's one if you are looking for RARE cards:

Billy Bruton, the forgotten outfielder who lived in the shadow of Hank Aaron.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Lake-to-Lake-Milwaukee-Braves-Baseball-Card-Bill-Bruton-RARE-/300644034895?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item45ffc7e94f1960 Bill Brrton

* Biographical Information: *

Centerfielder Bill Bruton played 12 seasons in the majors, leading the league three times in stolen bases, twice in triples, and once in runs scored. He posted a line of .412/.545/.588 in the 1958 World Series. Overall, Bruton was a very capable hitter, good fielder and excellent baserunner.

On August 2, 1959, he hit two triples with the bases loaded.

When Bruton began in organized ball in 1950 his age was given as 20 because it was thought there would be no interest in him at his actual age of 24. He was nearly 28 when he finally reached the big leagues. When he retired in 1964 he revealed this after playing in 1610 games for the Milwaukee Braves and Detroit Tigers. Both The Baseball Necrology and Biographical Encyclopedia of Baseball report that he was in the Army during World War II before beginning his baseball career. (TSN 6/14/50 & 10/10/64)

His brother Jack Bruton played in the Negro Leagues.

Notable Achievements:
    NL At Bats Leader (1955)
    NL Runs Scored Leader (1960)
    2-time NL Triples Leader (1956 & 1960)
    3-time NL Stolen Bases Leader (1953-1955)
    100 Runs Scored Seasons: 2 (1955 & 1960)
    Won a World Series with the Milwaukee Braves in 1957 (he did not play in the World Series)

* Further Reading: *
    Norman L. Macht: "Billy Bruton Recalls How the Game Was Played in 1950s", Baseball Digest, August 1990, pp. 44-48. [1]

* Related Sites *
    Picture of Bill :Bruton in 1953
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers