Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened Boxes from early 80's and before - what do you have?

I figured I would give this a shot - I was talking with a couple of the other members trying to figure out if there's a lot of unopened material from the 70's and early 80's still floating out there (full boxes). This is more of a "showcase" of stars!
It's meant for people to have fun - I hope that everyone does!!!

Baseball - '72 Wax (Series 5/6), '78 OPC, '79 Wax Tray (Full Box) - box is from D. Canfield (thanks!) and packs were from Doug & Tim (Grote15).

http://s1287.beta.photobucket.com/user/pfb1974/library/Topps Trays (I am not a photobucket expert, if anyone knows how to insert pics, please PM me - thanks!!)

Football - '73 in 72 wrappers (wax)

Hockey - 75/76, 76/77, 77/78, 78/79, 79/80 (all OPC), 76/77, (2) 77/78 OPC WHA

Basketball - (2) 72/73 Basketball (one from a sealed case)
PFB

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice!
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I only have 2 boxes of 1976 Topps Hockey and about 6 packs of 1979 Topps Hockey. That is all I have from the 1970's.

A friend has 2 boxes of 1972 Topps baseball.......I think they are early series and a 1973 Topps box. I have been trying desperately to get one of the 72's from him for quite some time.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I had a 1975 mini wax box for about a year in the 2011-2012 time frame. Damn you, rip devil image
    Daniel
  • PFBPFB Posts: 271 ✭✭
    One other question - if you open the box, was it to submit to PSA in hopes of a PSA 10? Complete a set?

Thanks!
    PFB
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I have most of baseball from 81-86 but am working on filling in some gaps.

FB - nothing but am going to work on the 80's this year
    Bskt - nothing but am going to work on the early 80's this year
    Hky - 83/84 OPC and work on more this year

Great thread by the way Peter.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • I have only 2 77 baseball rack packs. Everything else is from the 80s

I have:

for baseball

81 Topps, OPC, Donruss
    82 Topps, Fleer, Donruss
    83 Topps, Fleer, Donruss
    84 Topps (wax and rack boxes), Fleer, Donruss
    85 Topps (wax, cello), Fleer (wax and cello), Donruss, and Leaf
    86 Topps (wax, cello, rack), OPC, Fleer (wax, cello and rack), Donruss and Leaf
    87 Topps (wax, cello), OPC, Fleer, Donruss and Leaf

for Hockey I just have 89 OPC
    Football I have 87 cello and 88 wax and cello.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    These were all bought by me and my brother as kids -- the 76s were bought in 1977 for a nickel (the corner store was sent the wrong year)

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    i think all of the big guys who have the hoards won't be putting up pictures here! I have on my end only:

1976 Topps Football Cello box
    1978 Topps Baseball Cello box
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    GREAT GIVE-A-WAY! What are the rules again? image

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These were all bought by me and my brother as kids -- the 76s were bought in 1977 for a nickel (the corner store was sent the wrong year)

image >>

Wow, that's beautiful. No offense but I really hope there is not a PSA 9 (or 10) Brett in those packs. I recently picked up one so we don't need anymore in the Pop Report image Perhaps a PSA 10 Eckersly?

As for myself, I'm in process of bulding my unopened stuff back u. I currently only have a 1975 Topps Football Cello Box
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • PFBPFB Posts: 271 ✭✭
    Wow! That's that's a beautiful site and amazing that you saved it for all these years!!
    PFB
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two '75 mini wax boxes and four 1979 wax boxes. That's it as far as complete boxes from the 70s. About 10 years ago, I did have a run of wax boxes from 1972 to 1976 (all baseball) but I broke them and sold the packs off. I do still have the empty boxes which are all in great shape.
  • It's too bad that this thread is about unopened boxes from the 70s, because I wanted to show off my unopened boxes from the 60s and 50s.

Ha ha. I wish.
  • blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    1 bx 78 FB
    4 bx 79 FB

That would be it, except for a couple packs.....
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Morning,

Isn't Unopened an Oxymoron?image Does not compute!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • If my uncle has his way there will be 1970-1979 wax, cello, rack, & vending hitting the market soon. I am against it at the moment with the current drama since there are star packs that go along with it.
  • Though I can't stand to have unopened stuff, I have started collecting some that I "plan" to keep unopened.

Baseball
    1980 Topps Wax
    1981 Topp Cello
    1981 Topps Wax
    1982 Topps Wax
    1983 Topps Wax in the Michigan wrappers
    1984 Topps

Football
    1980 Topps
    1982 Topps
    1983 Topps

I also have some various packs.
    1975 Topps
    1975 Topps Mini
    1976 Topps Football
    1986 Fleer Basketball
  • blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Wait forgot...

2 bx 77 Mex FB
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)

• << <i>1 bx 78 FB
    4 bx 79 FB

That would be it, except for a couple packs..... >>

These are both on my list of must haves. The first pack I ever purchased was a '78 Topps football and '79 was the first year that I really got into it. I think outside of 3, maybe 4 packs of '78 I never got much before '79.

I remember having a grocery bag full of '79's that I would carry around with me to the playground. There must have been 5 or 6 boxes worth of singles in there.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If my uncle has his way there will be 1970-1979 wax, cello, rack, & vending hitting the market soon. I am against it at the moment with the current drama since there are star packs that go along with it. >>

Does that include full '71 boxes? If sold, will it be on eBay?

• << <i>

<< <i>If my uncle has his way there will be 1970-1979 wax, cello, rack, & vending hitting the market soon. I am against it at the moment with the current drama since there are star packs that go along with it. >>

Does that include full '71 boxes? If sold, will it be on eBay? >>

I see the title of the thread has now changed. Basically it is a collection of unopened my uncle and I put together that consists of stuff from the 50s through the 80s. This stuff has been taking up a whole room in his office for 25+ years. He is old and cranky now and wants his room back since he no longer cares about cards. I was young then and didn't have a lot of hobby money so he owns about 90 percent of it.

The 1971 boxes are rack and nothing will be sold on eBay if I can help it. He also doesn't want me to sell them all to one dealer so this is going to be a lot of work. I have a good idea of what is there from various sports etc but I still need to take an actual inventory. I am not looking forward to this and will probably try to put it off until the weather warms up.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    For boxes have complete 1970 (series1) and 1971 FB ( series2)

Baseball have a 75 cello box

Use to have a 72 bball box but temptation took over and kept opening till I got a Dr J rookie, 4 packs are left and the doc graded SGC 92

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    One 75 Mini sealed case of the four conlon cases I originally had. I ripped one and believe the other two have also been shredded.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • '80 wax football
    '83 cello football
    '81 wax baseball
    '78 wax baseball (OPC)
    '76 wax baseball (OPC)
    '61 wax football (Nu Card)
    '78 wax Three's Company

Jason
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    "The 1971 boxes are rack"

how many PMs did those 5 words induce?
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Morning,

Isn't Unopened an Oxymoron?image Does not compute!

Neil >>

• I'm all football. 1978 Topps Football were the first packs I opened as a kid (with my brother). 20 cents a pack.

Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Swankdaddy7, I hate to be the one to tell you this but I will. Your cards are all worthless junk. Go ahead and mail them to me and I will get rid of them for you!! image I would LOVE to have them boxes!! Awesome collection!!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I have a few sitting around here. image

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>
    2 bx 77 Mex FB >>

Nice, would love to see a pic of them. I love the individual packs with the action photos, not sure if Ive seen a box.

Swankdaddy, those are beautiful. Is that 77-80 in the front row?
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Wow Mike! Incredible.

aconte
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    If I remember right,I think there might be some stuff in this old thread.

older unopened material
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello

<< <i>If I remember right,I think there might be some stuff in this old thread.

older unopened material >>

Wow, a MacrosB sighting. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I remember right,I think there might be some stuff in this old thread.

older unopened material >>

That's a sick thread. I mess my pants each time I see it.
  • MarcoB - Wow man, where have you been? lol

Mike, I'm drooling on this end. How long how you been putting those boxes together and do you have any specific boxes your collecting. Just wondering why some and not others?

<< <i>MarcoB - Wow man, where have you been? lol

Mike, I'm drooling on this end. How long how you been putting those boxes together and do you have any specific boxes your collecting. Just wondering why some and not others? >>

I've started slowly about 15 years ago and have been accumulating ever since. It is easy since I don't rip anything (if anyone says differently they are lying). I started by collecting every type of baseball box from Topps, Donruss, and Fleer starting with 1986 which is when I stopped collecting heavily and working backward. I've completed all the way back to 1977 except I need one rack box for 1977, 1978, and 1980 in order to have two boxes for each type and year. I decided to collect two of each since I have two sons, but sometimes I pick up more than that. image

Collecting:
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Mike

Not only a serious collection but I applaud your organization!

What are you? A CPA or somethin!
    Mike

• << <i>I have a few sitting around here. image

image >>

Mike, I don't know what impresses me more; what you own or how well organized you are! Of course, meticulous organization is needed to be an accountant correct?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost

<< <i>Of course, meticulous organization is needed to be an accountant correct? >>

You are absolutely right there Doug. Mike (Stone193) wants me to redo his place if I ever make it down to his neck of the woods. image

Collecting:
    I showed some of the wax I have in a thread about my collecting over the past few decades - will be adding to it soon - about the era of the "Promo" card.

In addition - I have Topps BB vending from 1979 to 1987. The only reason I have it? Other than it was cheap when I bought it? I have no idea! No focus - no goals - at the time.

Mike
    Mike, that is all wrong. You need to have the boxes stacked in sequential order. My OCD is kicking in. image

Collecting:
  • Wow Mike (s), incredible! I guess Im the football equivelent of you guys, 77 to 88 wax boxes, some cello sprinkled in.

Killer Joe! image
    Mike

• << <i>

<< <i>Of course, meticulous organization is needed to be an accountant correct? >>

You are absolutely right there Doug. Mike (Stone193) wants me to redo his place if I ever make it down to his neck of the woods. image >>

OK. My goal is to organize my "vintage" wax. Now tell me if I have this right: it's oldest wax on top, manufacturer specific, and each shelving unit is for an individual sport.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost

<< <i>

You are absolutely right there Doug. Mike (Stone193) wants me to redo his place if I ever make it down to his neck of the woods. image >>

+1
    Mike

<< <i>OK. My goal is to organize my "vintage" wax. Now tell me if I have this right: it's oldest wax on top, manufacturer specific, and each shelving unit is for an individual sport. >>

Sounds about right to me, but I can't afford to branch out into other sports like you. image

Collecting:
    Joe, I love it. Very symmetrical and well organized. image

Did you start with 1977 because it was Largent's RC year?

Collecting:
  • Some beautiful stuff!!!
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Publius, 80's football is my thing. Your collection rocks!! CPA, man you also have a lotta cool stuff. Im glad
    there is still people in the world who dont rip these things to shreads. I love looking at pics of neatly organized unopened stuff. Keep the pics coming!!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Right now I have the following wax boxes. All are BBCE except the OPC boxes.
    1971 Topps (4th Series)
    1972 Topps (5th/6th Series)
    1972 OPC (2nd Series)
    1978 Topps
    1978 OPC
    1980 Topps
    1981 Topps
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.