Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1998 Heroes of Wrestling: Randy Couture & Dan Henderson Rookies, Kurt Angle and Alexander Karel

Here is the set that I have nearly signed :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Good luck on the Abraham Lincoln signature! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Interesting set since it contains the first card of pretty big UFC names. Any idea what the production run on these was? I only have a couture and it took a while for me to find an affordable one
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I will ask the museum. I woud be surprised with more than a 1000.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Awesome set, I would love to own some of these cards; I'll be on the lookout for them now.
  • Options
    Let me know if you need anyone, may have some of the real wrestlers in boxes somewhere, MMA guys are long gone!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome cards Rob! Love that Kurt Angle!

• Options
    The Kurt is a 1998 card so that is a rookie as well. PSA should slab these. These were made by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame......
  • Options
    I think if you catch psa in the right day they will slab these. I asked once and got rejected. Sometimes it's just easier to work with bgs spec dept. Beckett will catalogue them and then psa will eventually grade them.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I have seen an SGC slabbed card of Alexander Kareliln go for $50.
  • Options
    I got the Karelin graded and pulled two PSA 9s..... I am now trying to find cards of Angle, Couture, Henderson and Gardner to get graded now (unsigned). If anyone has them let me know.
  • Options

<< <i>I got the Karelin graded and pulled two PSA 9s..... I am now trying to find cards of Angle, Couture, Henderson and Gardner to get graded now (unsigned). If anyone has them let me know. >>

I saw a post on Facebook that was shared from Joe Rogan's page about Karelin.

It was this image. He said he looks at it to remind himself what a wimp (used other word) he really is.

On a side note. Rulond Gardner should win a medal for being the worst motivational speaker in history. I had the displeasure of having to sit and listen to him for an hour. So bad. Almost not even imaginable how bad.

• Options
    Karelin went six years without anyone scoring on him and was undefeated for 13 years and although I was initially excited when I heard that Rulon beat Karelin at the 2000 Olympics I was disappointed that a great streak like Karelin's was ended on a "new" clinch rule that was just implemented prior to the Olympics. I give credit to Rulon for being in great aerobic shape and doing what he needed to do but I did not think that Karelin deserved to have his streak end the way it did. Karelin was in his fourth Olympics at the time and retired after Sydney. Karelin would rag doll Brock Lesnar and it would not be funny. As a wrestler there is really no comparison. Karelin would reign supreme without a doubt.
  • Options
    Karelin was 887-2 overall and both of his losses were by one point....he avenged his first loss and the one loss to Rulon was a "technicality" in reality.
  • Options

<< <i>Alexander Karelin's One and Only Foray into Pro Wrestling >>

I will definitely have to watch this when I have more time. Those kicks to open the match look very tough. I have read lots of stories about the Japanese working very stiff. I see in the description the gate was 2.5 million.

• Options
    It's cool that psa is grading these now. I think I'm going to cross the signed couture bgs 8. Karelin might be one I need to add to my collection in the "real wrestling" section
  • Options
    Awesome cards! Thanks for posting these. Gonna have to track down an Angle!
    Notre Dame Autograph Super Collector
    Wrestling Autographed Card Collector

Working on these sets signed
    1986 Topps baseball
    1991 UD Football
    1990 Collegiate Collection Notre Dame
    2013 UD Notre Dame
    1991 Pro Set Super Bowl Supermen
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Alexander Karelin's One and Only Foray into Pro Wrestling >>

I will definitely have to watch this when I have more time. Those kicks to open the match look very tough. I have read lots of stories about the Japanese working very stiff. I see in the description the gate was 2.5 million. >>

RINGS sought to present a very realistic style and so the kicks were very stiff. And, yeah, that gate was amazing - average of over $140 a ticket.
  • Options
    After three years of looking I found an Angle and a Couture that I deemed good enough to sub to add to my collection. I had a Couture earlier but it was a little rough so I went ahead and sold it raw. I will be happy to have Couture in a slab. I am not looking for a 10 with what it looks like but just to have one slabbed will be epic.
  • Options
    Great work. Can't wait to see them slabbed
  • Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

This is a great set! Stumbled upon a 2008 version of the set and bought a few. Couple of big names but I'd sure love to get a Couture and a Henderson. Ive started my search but I'm sure I'm gonna have to pay!

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@llafoe said:
    Good luck on the Abraham Lincoln signature!

HAH! This was my first thought. I've heard Abe is a very hard signature to obtain.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

wck: great set, and good work on the autos!

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

@dytch2220 said:

@llafoe said:
    Good luck on the Abraham Lincoln signature!

HAH! This was my first thought. I've heard Abe is a very hard signature to obtain.

I am sure Navarro has an Abe Lincoln signature he could spare one day........

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That same image of Karelin above, only signed. A truly frightening image, but iconic.

• Options

Love it!

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 5:40AM

Matt Ghaffari (Fellow Cleveland State University Alum) wrestled Karelin to a draw in the Gold Medal match in the 1996 Greco-Roman Olympics only to lose 1-0 in overtime. At that time, no one had come CLOSE to beating Karelin. Matt took home the Silver Medal and an enormous amount of respect throughout the sport. You can find Ghaffari's RC on the 1992 Impel #104 OlympiCards...I have it in PSA 10.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Karelin was 887-2 overall and both of his losses were by one point....he avenged his first loss and the one loss to Rulon was a "technicality" in reality.

So dominant! Edwin Mosses had a similar run, between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals (122 consecutive races).

I guess Tiger's dominance would also be similar.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Couple of rookies just back from PSA. Both 1/1s none higher.

• Options

I absolutely love that Alexander Karelin. Well done!