Home Precious Metals
Options

The CombiBar has arrived.....and Gainesville has them.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gainesville Coins To Be Featured in NBC News Story Featuring Our Newest Silver Product, the CombiBar.

Lutz, Fl (PRWEB) January 25, 2013

Tune in to Tampa Bay's NBC morning show – News Channel 8 Today on WFLA – on Monday, Jan. 28, between 4:30 and 7 a.m. to see Gainesville Coins' newest silver product, the CombiBar! The Lutz-based company is one of few U.S. precious metal dealers selling the detachable bars.

The size of a credit card, CombiBars are easily broken into small individual sections. They are made in 100x1 and 10x10 gram sizes. The pieces are easily detached without losing any metal or leaving sharp edges. Each 100-gram bar contains 3.215 oz of .999 pure silver.

Silver CombiBars are considered by many as the latest financial “comfort food” in times of crisis. Pre-scored like a chocolate bar, the 100-gram silver bullion bars could be used to trade or purchase goods and services. Interest for a product like the CombiBar as an alternative form of payment has been rising amid increasing fears of an economic meltdown.

The idea for a precious metal bullion bar that can be divided into smaller-sized bars came about in 2010. The global banking and European currency crises caused investors to consider putting their money in larger amounts of smaller bars, rather than a few large ones. This would increase liquidity and make precious metal collections more suitable for everyday trading.

CombiBars are produced by the Swiss refinery Valcambi, one of the largest gold refiners in the world. Valcambi has manufactured the gold bars for Credit Suisse for nearly 40 years.

link

Just found an earlier link from May 2011 earlier link

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the odds that each piece broken off is exactly one gram? Seems like each piece could be a tad over or under depending on the break.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>What are the odds that each piece broken off is exactly one gram? Seems like each piece could be a tad over or under depending on the break. >>

I think Valcambi can guarantee it, the variance should be minimal for what I see looking at the breaking points.
    I have own a few of them and they are pretty neat.
    There are different versions. The one I kept is in hard plastic case (see below) while the others were in soft plastic pouch.
    Mine is toning at the corners.

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Others...

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea but it seems a little bit pricey.
    I understand smaller increments carry a higher premium but this isn't exactly like buying separate pieces, its all handled in the manufacturing process.

3.215 oz troy, $155.29 via bank wire / $159.87 via cc

155.29 / 3.215 = 48.30t oz. spot=31.16
    158.87 / 3.215 = 49.72t oz.

48.30 - 31.16 = 17.14 over spot at best price
    49.72 - 31.16 = 18.56 over when using a cc

Unique, yes, but a bit high in my mind. I'd consider it if it were closer to $40 troy oz.

JC

Silver Combi Bars
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, someone could just get a roll of silver dimes image

PS, what a great expression: "Hot new silver investment collectible and disaster preparedness item" image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I did buy one, I don't think I could resist the urge to break a few pieces off.

edit for spell check
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

as cool as it looks its not survivalist ,in fact it seems anti -survivalist to overpay for silver

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the odds that each piece broken off is exactly one gram? Seems like each piece could be a tad over or under depending on the break. >>

If I were still working and I were buying some pieces in, I would weigh them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    It's a neat novelty but too expensive for my tastes.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a neat novelty but too expensive for my tastes. >>

+1
    Also, I really do not see ever having to use these even in a societal collapse.
    Probably would need more ammo instead.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Is THAT what these are for? so that when society collapses, you can break of a gram and buy some bread???

I don't get the use for these. Seems silly to me, I'm sorry I just don't get it. Feel free to explain why this is better / easier than a 1oz ASE. I mean, considering inflation, you're going to need more than a gram [of silver] to buy something if/when stuff hits the fan. IMHO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    They are pretty kewl though. I was going to buy a sheet as give aways for the holidays and birthdays.
    Then I too thought that is pretty expensive since most reciprients would not appricate them, then I too thought of dimes. How easy and well know, like clean mercury dimes.

Then I ended up with "I'm not giving away my dam dimes."

But they are kewl and I want some of each. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    COA
  • Options
    Has anyone dealt with these gold grams ?

https://www.karatbars.com/

They are also pretty cool....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are very, very cool and could become the industry standard for small bars around the world...IF they were sold at a standard bullion markup.

You don't need to charge a 40% markup if you sell millions of bars. Someone else can come along and sell a similar bar/idea for less and walk away with the market.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I did buy one, I don't think I could resist the urge to break a few pieces off.

edit for spell check >>

Bingo that is exactly why I can't buy them either. I have already done enough damage cracking bullion out of slabs.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overpriced gimmick. Not for me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I'll stick to junk silver.