Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancients Info Request

Hi Everyone,

I recently received a consignment that had a page of 18 ancient coins slipped in amongst the medals. I haven't a clue what I have here but don't want to short sell the consignee due to my ignorance in these coins. Several have prices on the back of 80DM, 100 Euro, so I know there is at least some value to the pieces. I just need to know what might be a fair asking price for the pieces and/or the price of the sheet of 18 coins in flips as a whole. Are there any hidden surprises (value wise) amongst the lot? Unfortunately I haven't a register or price list to go off of so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

High Res (1000px wide) image can be found at this link: ancients images

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I added the prices in color text.

Its hard to tell if there is any special ones due to only showing one side of the coin. Some Probus coins can go for a slight premium depending on the mint.

But the majority of these coins look to be pretty common stuff & my prices are the average ebay rate. Maybe a few would go for a tad more but not much.

*edit* Didnt realize the vespasian was a hemidrachm, those are a bit rare, i'd say $70 on it or more.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like cacheman owes bronzemat a bottle of crown! image

Incredibly fast response time. Go team! LOL
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Lol, I will take some crown image

Ancients are a funny lot compared to other coins. One day a coin could go for $60 an the next time it surfaces it goes for $25. Thats why there is no price guide on them & its best to look at auction results.

I dont use dealer prices since many are all over the place.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the assist Bronzemat. I think I'll' put the entire sheet on the BST board at a discount rather than futz with ebay.

The reverse of the Probus according to the tag: Sol Invicto in facing quadriga, trace of silver remains. Exergue XXIT
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the assist Bronzemat. I think I'll' put the entire sheet on the BST board at a discount rather than futz with ebay.

The reverse of the Probus according to the tag: Sol Invicto in facing quadriga, trace of silver remains. Exergue XXIT >>

Ebay is a pill when selling coins :/

As for the probus, common a bit. I have the exact type, mine was $40.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Thanks...obviously this was not the consignee's primary collection direction.

Ebay is a pain when selling ANYTHING. I think its been three years since I last used them. I may need to resort to them though as I'm not about to put these on my sales site which has a specific 'product' I'm selling.

I owe you one image