Stack's Bowers Galleries Sets World Record
with Sale of 1794 Silver Dollar for $10,016,875

http://stacksbowers.com/videos/
\
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For ten mil, I'd be selling it rather quickly and improving our lifestyle (move out of the dumpy mobile home, at least).

I love coins. I'm a coin geek, you might say. I'm rather passionate about this hobby, as are many of us here.

That being said, ten million bucks is a helluva a LOT of money for a little round piece of metal.

Sure, I'd roll some of the proceeds into the purchase of other little round pieces of metal, but I'd take the lion's share of it and put it to other things. (At least some of them charitable.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    At the very least, you could afford to hire some folks to do the metal detecting, digging and sifting for you - so you can enjoy more time on the bourse floor! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, and it is not "hating" but this coin is IMO way overblown. It is a great coin, no doubt, but the logic behind calling it the First Dollar escapes me. There is NO confirmation or attestation of this - only that it is an early strike; not even that it is a specimen particularly either and comes replete with ADJUSTMENT marks. Can you imagine that the minter would not have wanted the best possible specimen to go out, and that if it was such a big deal that there would have been some sort of documentation.

So problem is: no confirmation that this is actually what it purports to be.

That being said, it is a fairly scarce coin even though with the paltry mintage there are more than expected number of survivors and it is evidently the finest known. OK, what price? Well, it got its price in a public forum but I would sure hate to take the risk of having that coin and trying to get a profit on resale. 10 million dollars is a whole lifetime of comfort in retirement on a favorite Caribbean island.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, that is great and all, especially for some publicity for coin collecting in general. I mean we all like seeing younger collectors getting into the field (I don't want any more older folks with plenty o' money to be bidding up the auctions that I AM BIDDING on, lol). Hopefully stuff like this might help attract a few younger people to the hobby.

But I agree with the above sentiments: I would much rather sell it, realize a profit, give a nice chunk to charities of choice and then take care of my daughter's future then go back to finishing a collection. After you buy this coin, what do you do with it? I mean, really, what kind of collection are you going to build around it? I mean, that might be naive and stupid, but I just wouldn't enjoy it that much after the initial thrill of purchase. Then again the people that can afford these type of coins do not spend their ONLY $10 Million that they have sitting around. They make this purchase with many other millions waiting as back up.

For my own sanity, I would be happy to sell and maybe finish my Russian copper collection and then start a nice rouble collection back to Peter I. As it is, I enjoy the hunt and ticking off my hard to get coins one at a time and would love to have the many thousands of dollars necessary to do so. I'm also pretty sure my daughter would like to collect English pennies in UNC rather than F/XF if she had the choice too. image