Home Sports Talk

The Official 2013 Braves World Series Champs Thread

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Let's go ahead and get a running tally of who's pulling for the Braves this year. I know we've got me, lodibrewfan, and grote15. Who else?

1) McAdams
2) Hallco
3) Lodibrewfan
4) Goot
5) SSDawg77
6) DrBuster
7) DerekD (I think)
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe CowboysFan79 is a big time Braves Fan.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I believe CowboysFan79 is a big time Braves Fan. >>

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup! Still in Braves Country! Even if I am disappointed that Tommy, Marti'n and Delgado are not going to be around! image Looking forward to seeing some dingers and steals out of the Brothers Upton though!
  • +1
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe CowboysFan79 is a big time Braves Fan. >>

Yes, he's definitely a Braves fan.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braves fan here!! Still questioning some of the moves made by the front office but looking forward to the season getting started.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Washington to win the division. They can play in once again....who knows what will happen though.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Braves!
  • We really need to get Kate Upton as an unofficial mascot so we can complete the trifecta.

<< <i>image >>

Nice!!

• Love the offseason moves. I think this is our best team in a number of years. Hopefully a healthy Mccann will return with better numbers. I also think the signing of the Uptons will take some pressure off Uggla. Im not one to normally use pressure as an excuse for poor performance, but I think him leaving Florida and being expected to be a star has crushed him mentally.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We really need to get Kate Upton as an unofficial mascot so we can complete the trifecta. >>

Probably don't want that. Great to look at but she did mascot duty for the Tigers last season. Tigers ended up getting swept away straight into Lake Huron.

About Michael Bourn, did the Braves try to keep him at all or had they already decided to let him walk the moment he became an UFA?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • On my way into the office this morning I saw the Phillies out on the practice fields throwing around a bit. Even though it was the Phillies, what a great sight to see some major league baseball. I already have my ticket to Braves-Phillies on February 28th.

WTCG: the Braves didn't even make Bourn an offer as far as I know, so I'm pretty sure it was the plan to let him walk.
    Read an article over the weekend that indicated the 5th started spot might go to Teheran if he performs well in camp. That spot, of course, will belong to Beachy when he returns from Tommy John surgery, hopefully by the all-star break. Teheran sure looked shaky last year though......not sure how I'd feel with him opening the season in the rotation.

Hudson, Medlen, Minor, Maholm, and Teheran... IMO, might be the worst rotation the Braves have had since the late 80's.

• Agree with the rotation. Teheran also just turned 22 so hopefully he's starting to gain some maturity on the mound and all the issues with his delivery are behind him. I'll be at the game Sunday and will see Teheran pitch. He'll only throw one inning, but I'll be watching that 1 inning pretty closely. I'll also see Maholm pitch next Thursday against the Phillies.

I'm hoping they bring Heyward on the road for at least one game. Everything I've read says he looks great this spring and I want to see what all the fuss is about.
  • Just grabbed tickets for the Chipper jersey retirement game! I'll be in section 218.

<< <i>Just grabbed tickets for the Chipper jersey retirement game! I'll be in section 218. >>

Nice! I might go as well.

• Julio pitched pretty well today. One thing though, he kept getting ahead in counts and then would fall behind and let the count run full. Looked better than last year, although pitchers are still ahead of hitters at this point.

JHey looks like a BEAST. Hit a laser down the right field line that was foul and later on hit a frozen rope home run to dead center field. BJ had a nice double. JHey and Justin Upton stopped and signed autographs as they walked down the foul line during the 6th inning...good to see that.

Sean Gilmartin was impressive. Really love his stuff and cant wait til he makes the rotation. I watched him a lot while he was at FSU.
  • Was at the game today. Maholm and Kimbrel didn't look very good, but especially Maholm. Justin Upton had a double to CF that was about 5 feet from being a HR. Pastornicky had some hits, but also let a fairly routine grounder go right under his glove, which lead to a run being scored.

Cole Hamels was lights out.

It's been a rough spring so far, but thankfully it's only that...Spring.

<< <i>Was at the game today. Maholm and Kimbrel didn't look very good, but especially Maholm. Justin Upton had a double to CF that was about 5 feet from being a HR. Pastornicky had some hits, but also let a fairly routine grounder go right under his glove, which lead to a run being scored.

Cole Hamels was lights out.

It's been a rough spring so far, but thankfully it's only that...Spring. >>

That sounds like the Pastornicky I remember.

The Braves dominance of the Phillies continues. Phili just pulled Roy Halladay after 3 and 1/3!!! Tack on a few more on the reliever and its 7-0 Braves in the 4th. I'm really liking this new Braves lineup. No holes anywhere.

Sweep of the Cubs....With the Nats losing in Cinci, the Braves should be solely in First Place by the end of the day. Huddy looked verrrry good today.

I was hoping Upton was going to set pace for 162 home runs this year, ha!
    Best Record in Baseball ! Sweeeeeeett... The best part is that they are playing so well W/O our 2nd best SP who will return later this year (Beachy) and also W/O McCann. I think this team will be able to compete with the Nats for the division. Can't wait for the first series when Washington visits Atlanta.

• The way Gattis is swinging the bat I wish we were an AL team and could slide him over to DH when McCann comes back.

<< <i>The way Gattis is swinging the bat I wish we were an AL team and could slide him over to DH when McCann comes back. >>

Will come in handy during interleague play and during the World Series.

12-1.....wow what a start!

Went to the Ted today and caught the final game with the Twins. Pretty big crowd for a noon game. Anyway.... Maholm looked razor sharp. Gave up 1 run (none earned) and got through 1 out in the 8th before being pulled. He got a LOONG standing O as he walked off in the 8th. Good to see him have a great outing like that.

Also saw a very rare occurance today- Saw BJ Upton play the entire game with no strikeouts. He crushed a homer to left center in the 4th, but was getting good wood on the ball all day long. I'm hoping he is getting ready to come out of his slump....Can't hit a buck fifty forever and expect to keep his starting job in center, not with the how well Schaefer is playing.

Twins looked like they didn't give a sh*t and were just ready to catch their flight. Braves had a guy on 1st and batter hit a sharp grounder RIGHT TO the 2nd basemen (I mean he didn't have to take a step), and the 2B lolligagged the throw over to the SS, who proceeded to make a half-hearted throw to first, and of course they missed the double play. I've seen local high school infielders more adept and turning two than the infield Minnesota trotted out today. Whole Twins team just didn't seem to have any motivation whatsoever. Kind of wierd to watch.

• What do you guys think we should do with the roster when everyone is healthy? Somebody has to go

Gattis to aaa-please no
    Dfa reed
    Dfa schafer-is he actually going to keep it up this year?
    Trade Laird-no more gattis of the bench for ph appearances
    Other?

We can't keep only 6 in the bullpen forever as we are now.

imagey
    Gattis isn't going anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE. Getting rid of Schaeffer at this point would be counterproductive. He's drawing walks, hitting over .300, and playing very well. If anything, he will start to take time in center away from BJ.

To me the most likely scenario is to get rid of Reed. Schaeffer can play all 3 OF spots, plus he has a better bat than Reed, and he's a much better pinch runner.

Nothing like seeing the Braves win twice in 1 day up in Queens.

Its the 8th inning and Freddie Gonzalez is letting Mike Minor hit for himself....Although to be fair, Minor does have 2 hits in the game including a HR.

Go Braves!

Need to go down the road and hit a G-Braves game this year again too.

Gattis is the man.
    5 in a row and just swept the Pirates. AND....the team is still missing their Ace Brandon Beachy and missing their setup man Jonny Venters who is out for the season.

• Another big roster decision looming. Who goes to the pen or gets traded when Beachy returns?

imagey
    Just heard last night that Beachy isn't ready to return yet. That being said, its an interesting question as to what happens when he does return. I don't think that any of the current rotation guys get sent down to make room for Beachy (Hudson, Minor, Teheran, Maholm, Medlen).

When you look at the rotation, the hottest guys right now are Teheran and Minor. If Teheran wasn't pitching lights out, I'd say that he'd be the most likely to move to the pen. But the last few outings, he's been lights out. My money is on Medlen returning to the bullpen to an 7th or 8th inning setup role. That's where he is most needed right now, not as a SP. Furthermore, when Medlen moves to the pen, I think Varvaro or Wood will be the bullpen guy who gets sent down to AA or AAA.

• This thread is too far back for a first place team. I'll bring it back with this
    midseason review

imagey
    Ouch!!!! image