Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Jefferson Nickels, United States Type Set

A keyword search of, "Jefferson" helps find all the listings on Jefferson nickels.
This listing has always been active although I don't TTT it everyday. Those who search deep enough get the best coins. And there are times when I'm just too occupied, I'd rather not do business. But I do check back periodically so be patient.
Email, lestroup@msn.com is another way I can be reached.

Jefferson nickels are available at my website. FSJeffersonNickels

My personal Jefferson set, 1938 through 1970 with many photos is also available for sale or viewing at my website.

Regards, Leo

United States Type Set

The following 5 coins (two have sold) are unique examples due to their extreme rare high qualities. The coins speak for themselves. They are, to my knowledge, the highest quality examples for these dates to own anywhere!

I'm adding a 6th "best to own" coin after seeing the two highest graded coins in Coin Facts for the 1954-S date.

The master hubs were in their 23rd year of production when this coin was struck, most likely from an early set of fresh working dies. Full hair details, robusting cheek and ear details and complete Monticello details and definitive steps all in one single coin. Look no further or rather, your search just ended here. I can't tell you how many collectors have searched for this coin over the past 50+ years. Gun metal satiny luster and rare EDS details that add tremendous eye appeal. This is the only known survivor that I'm aware of at this level of quality. How many more examples have survived to this day that look as exceptional as this coin? It's definitely a survivor! Many collectors who have seen this coin were amazed over its unique qualities.

Please note: A hand written letter by Bern Nagengast accompanies this coin.
Bern Nagengast is the author of the book, "The Jefferson Nickel Analyst".
Also take note this coin and the lone 1961-D MS65FS once shared the same Bern Nagengast's collection. This source was also the home of the "infamous MS64FS coin, his #2 coin.
To further understand the rarity of this date, this MS64FS example sold for $32,000 January 2005, in Pittsburgh but aside from its weak strike, it didn't have full steps as attested by others after the auction and later by many others. It was reviewed 3 years later by PCGS and the FS designation was removed. There are no FS designated coins of this date.
The coin I have likely traveled the country and failed to FS. It was returned to Mr. Nagengast and having some correlation with him, I ended up with his #1 set coin. This made me one very happy guy as I could recognize the rarity of the fully detailed imprint the coin received. I landed, perhaps the greatest example of this date known.
An early strike, with satiny luster, a few marks but with nice definitive steps. This coin is remarkable to have survived to this day in it's state of quality and detail.
$25,000 or best offer. I'm fully aware of the rare qualities of this coin. SEGS has the best coin in their holder.

Here's another dream coin everyone is searching for, well, not everyone since only a few can accurately spot quality and rarity when they see it. A well struck PCGS MS65 business strike with perfect solid flawless steps. They don't get any better than this. You can tell from just looking at the coin, it grades much higher. Hard to imagine what a better coin would look like?
$25,000 or best offer. Again, I'm not worried about getting this coin in a FS holder. The coin speaks volumes for itself and the steps are plain as day to see. I can only guess that it is the best example out there to own. I haven't checked into Coin Facts with this date.

1942-D ANACS MS67 6 Full Steps with satin sheen surfaces due to a very Early Die State imprint. But as I have learned, the very first 10-12 coins struck from the earliest of new working dies won't have the minimal of flow lines that are needed to create lustrous fields. Along with its most detailed strike, this surface phenomenon is an extremely rare kind of "eye appeal" with its soft subtle glowing luster. This is an "Ultimate" example where there are no grading standards to support it. Whatever holder or at whatever grade would get assigned for this coin, you would still need to study it's uniqueness to understand it. Just looking at the fullness of the pillars and steps tells you this coin received a most powerful early strike. For coins like this, you leave them in their original holder and eliminate the risks that are associated with handling a coin too much. This coin belongs in a MS68 holder to set it apart from coins with lesser qualities. Only the Smithsonian NNC collection may hold a finer example. $30,000 or best offer.

There is (was) also a 1944-D at my website that I personally grade MS68 with 6 full steps. Go take a look, you will be amazed with its qualities. Sold

And the 1953-S PCGS MS65FS I sold, is the highest quality coin to own. Now the MS65+FS example. Go check Coin Facts to compare the top 3 graded coins.

EDS 1943/2 example. Check out the wide rim in added picture and the 2 protruding out the back of the 3. You just don't ever see that in this variety.
Not designated FS but just look at all those steps. Use a toothpick to remove that carbon fleck in upper hair
when you crack it out and watch this coin land in a MS67FS holder. Presently resides in MS66 PCGS holder.
Now....I can't say this is the best to own but it's likely close. Asking $3500.

Not for sale at the moment but is the highest quality, best struck example to my knowledge although it has 4.75 complete steps but the rest of the coin is intact. What would you have missing? An entire area of detail that did not strike up or one quarter of an incused line on a step that didn't fill in

And I don't know if this next coin is the best since there are two others I haven't seen.
1942-S ANACS MS66 6 Full Steps Pop 3/0 Est. $8500 which is cheap IMO.
1943-P PCGS MS67FS, Sold
1943-D PCGS MS67FS EDS and 6 Full Steps NFSM
1943-S PCGS MS67FS Sold
1943-S ANACS MS67 5 Steps est. $650
1944-P ANACS MS67 5 Steps Colorful Toning NFSM
1944-D PCGS MS67 Description further down list. $229 or best offer
1944-S PCGS MS66FS NFSM
1945-P ANACS MS66 5 Steps est. $400
1945-S PCGS MS65FS est. $500
I have pictures of every coin.

All of the following war nickels have been moved back into their Jefferson Nickel Album Set.
This set is loaded with full step Jefferson nickels. Included is a true full steps 1938-P, 1939-D R40 full steps, 1939-S PCGS MS64FS,
1942-S in a PCGS MS67, beautifully tone 1952-S with full steps, 1966 business strike with full steps. click on the link to see the list and photos and the huge coin album that holds the slabs and coins. You can also add selections from the coins list on the first page, for example a 1954-S or a 1960-D with great steps but the price of the collection will be higher.
Asking $2500 or make offer.

High grade PCGS MS67 1942-S Remarkably markfree and lustrous.

1943-D PCGS MS66 with an EDS strike and 6 strong steps.

Very nice 1944-P ANACS MS65 5 steps, lustrous white coin with a nice strike.

Colorful 1944-D ANACS MS67 5 steps. IMO grades MS65 5 steps

1944-S MS65 5 steps Raw coin housed in a capital holder. Very nice strike and steps.

We all know how difficult it is to find colorful silver war nickels. And if you love beautifully toned war nickels...
This one resides in an ANACS MS66 holder, is silvery white with awesome colors.
$350 or best offer

1943-D but raw, beautifully toned and lustrous but not as colorful as the above coin. I've finally been able to
capture the colors. Three ticks in the hair, reason for the MS65 grade. Cheek is very clear of marks. Same
goes for the reverse, no marks.
Very nice strike and the steps show two breaks in the steps not well represented.
Housed in a capital holder. Its only a MS65, what was I thinking......$45 or best offer

Vibrant tinsel colors make this coin glitter. Very colorful with a nice strong strike. Very high eye appeal. There is a slight abrasion on the jawline. I was shocked that NGC saw this coin at MS66 and without a star??
Among a few others, this one is going to my children.

Another 1944-D PCGS MS67, lovely example, brilliant white lustrous coin with lightly accented with the same
cyan, magenta and lavender colors mostly on the obverse as seen in above 43D. And I haven't been able to
capture the colors in a photo. There is a mark on the cheek, looks bad in one direction and not so bad in others
but PCGS did grade the coin MS67.
Very nice strike and the steps are well represented although there is no FS designation.
Included in first war set listed, for now.
$375 or best offer

1958-P PCGS MS65 Rarely seen with lustrous silvery white PL surfaces. With extra nice 5 steps but no FS designation.
Well above average. Beautiful example for this date. It's just a bad picture.
$250 or make offer.

$1100 Sold.

Sold.

Thanks for looking, Leo

Jefferson Nickel Album. United States Type Set FSJeffersonNickels the Smithsonian NNC

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments