Home Precious Metals
Options

Overall, how was it for you last year?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
How was it for you last year in PMs and related?
For me ok. The PM price today is good enough, could be much worst-like my dollar bills, but things are going well with the spice.

I learned about coins, mint products, silver, gold and other pms, a wee bit about the paper side, and common sense thanks to all of You!
Learned about the goverment, the budget, debt, QE, and Fiat! Why oh why did you show me this hell....
Broke the gold ice with 1 gram $70 bucks from apmex. A koog for $1580 and a few other bits for very reasonable prices.
Lots.. of ASEs of all years and types. Some maples and Koalas.
Apmex, buffalo, sushine, prospectors, and mexican coins - and secondary mint types.
Engelhard bars, apmex, JM, silvertown, monarch, a-mart, prospector, NWT, Pacific, Jackson, Pam Am, and a variety of other secondaries.
4oz silver bills and some generic grab bag samples from apmex. A a few rolls of copper coins from ebay.
A few fake morgans from you guys for a few bucks, good deal with POM, and fake gold AGEs from the flea market for $5.
Coins and bars from everything from foxwood, Ballys, to Randal Cunninham, and sharps pixley and Bar Mitzah, with a variety of santa's.
Everything from fractionals, 1 oz, sealed strips, 2, 3, 5 and a bunch of 10oz bars at $275, to stagecoaches and the 1/4 I keep in the car.
Proofs, slabbed 69 first strike ASEs, BU, toned and on down to some scratched, polished, and cleaned. 2 w holes.
Morgans, Peace, Ikes, halfs, and silver nickels. I even went through $1k of dollar coins looking for something to keep of which there were few.
Some mint rolls of state quarters, and washington/lincoln dollar roll sets. Full Quarter albums at face cost.
I learned the diff between bullion, value added items, and the loss in buying jewelry.
Lost a lot of sleep. Realized some are bad, good, crazy, and some sleep in the store and don't shower.
Melted expensive fishing weights and learned how to dip, clean, and polish. And post beginner posts and debate nicely and avoid politics...
A few hunded pounds of copper pennies to weight down the safe, and a safe deposit box, and some other places I'm not even sure of anymore..
Coin folders of various types, and mulenium sets. And an AR before the end. And all the ammo I can muster, mister.
Learned you can give away mint sets, proofs, coins and silver and most people just don't get it or want to know.
Whatever the wife nabbed when I wasn't looking... I can sell a $30 ASE for $30 or $58, or not at all in some conditions.
I learned about buying, taxes, caution, and being stupid and if I sold it all right now at modest selling prices, I'd be ahead.

In the beginning of December 2011, I literally knew 'Not a Single Thing' about the above in anyway.
COA

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like quite an assorted collection, nicely done.

(people variously call it "investment", or "stacking" or "rescuing fiat dollars", but to most outsiders, it's a "coin collection")

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got your feet good and wet then waded all around the outside of the pond.

I like diversity. Keeps things from getting stale.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another good year. Hoping for another.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good year, about the same amount of PM as I started the year with. Bought collectors PM(pandas and slabbed gold) sold on ebay for nice profits which turned into nice coins in my collection.

Best I did was start with a 1/20 gold panda and trade/sell/buy my way up with it all the way upto a one ounce gold eagle. Took 2 months 2 coin shows and 2 guns shows. Just have to know what people think they need.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kept on stacking and still pleased and very confident with the PM bull cycle.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2012 was an excellent year for my business. I was able to add to my PMs.
  • Options
    Overall, 2012 was a good year for me as a silver art bar collector. I was able to find several silver art bars that were on my "wish list" and that is a good thing. I was also able to find several rare and semi-rare silver art bars for .999 generic silver premiums at the various coin shows that I attended last year. Meeting two CU members in person at some of the coin shows that I attended last year was also a very good thing.

Hopefully 2013, will be another good year for me but, so far, it got off to a slow start. The year is still young.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    I only purchased a couple of coins, but I had a good time checking and reading the forum here everyday.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say it was a good year. However, I'm moving out of my modern collector bullion that I've accumulated since 2006 and shifting into Saints...a mix of common date and smoe better dates and mints. The shift is more for personal reasons and not smoe market prognostication.