Home Sports Talk
Options

Morris for the HOF

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I do not agree, but the author makes a case.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/a_sabermetric_case_for_jack_morris/

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a very good writer.

FWI- I spoke to Kirk "not Kurt" Gibson once and I asked him about Morris and the HOF. He said Morris never wanted to come out of a game even if winning 8-1 in the 8th and after throwing a bazillion pitches. He said he was absolutely fierce. He obviously is biased but was he was generally annoyed about Morris not being in the Hall.

I remain on the fence. Probably leaning on the side that thinks he should be in.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MJ, I think you meant to say "KIRK" Gibson, NOT "Kurt" Gibson?

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Im on the fence about him, but would lean more towards the side of putting him in.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ, I think you meant to say "KIRK" Gibson, NOT "Kurt" Gibson?

Tony
    KalineFan >>

Yes indeed. I was drunk when I wrote thatimage

Funny thing is I've done that beforeimage

Edited my post so not to look like a total idiot

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>There is gap of ten years betweenthe birth of Bert Blyleven and Clemens. I’d argue:

a. It is likely that at least one Hall-of-Fame pitcher was probably born during that decade, and

b. Jack Morris is probably the best, or at least the second-best, candidate. >>

a. Isn't it likely that there could be a 10 year period in baseball history where no Hall-of-Fame pitcher was born?

b. Eckersly and Sutter already are in the Hall-of-Fame
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i thought he was a dominant pitcher for a decade, there are pitcher with less impressive stats then his in + world series titles and a knack for winning big games.

i think he belongs in
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    He was a very good pitcher, but there's a reason he has yet to make it in.

A couple times in the top 3 of Cy Young voting, only made it to the all star team 5 times in 18 years, and the very definition of a stat accumulator. He was above average for a number of years, but never the dominating presence a true Hall of Famer should be.

His case is supported mostly by pitching in an era with little elite pitching, and if you have to rest your case on comparing him to pitchers already in the hall, then your case is already lost. Do we really want to dilute the hall any further?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His ERA and ERA+ alone should exclude him.

He had two terrific postseasons and two pretty lousy ones. He's borderline at best, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> there are pitcher with less impressive stats then his >>

Which pitchers and which stats?

His ERA would be worst and ERA+ second worst (behind Hunter) among all pitchers the writers put in the Hall-of-Fame

He does have a high strikeout total, with a completely mediocre strikout rate

He is among the top 20 all-time in homeruns and walks allowed

We all know about his decent win total -- we also know it is 34 less than Tommy John. And Tommy John had a much better ERA (and ERA+, especially when only looking at his first 3800 innings or so). If anything the high win total from the Tigers pitchers should be used to support much more deserving Trammell, Whitaker and Evans
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    being a die hard tiger fan I still do not believe he is Hall Of Fame caliber.Unfortunatley there are others in the Hall that do not belong either.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    It's impossible, but I just wish they would start over. Get rid of those folks who persuaded the veteran's committee to get them in, and institute a one-year rule. You're either a hall of famer or you're not. It would eliminate the whole 'not first ballot hall of famer' nonsense. Also make all votes 100% public, as it would actually make these people held responsible for their voting.
  • Options

<< <i> Get rid of those folks who persuaded the veteran's committee to get them in, >>

Why do you choose to give the writers and the veteran's committee the same credibility when it comes to standards for the Hall-of-Fame?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The HOF is bogus anyway......UNTIL THE ALL-TIME HIT LEADER IS PUT IN!!!!image