Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it just me, or is the Stacks Bowers archive difficult to search?

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
Spent 30 minutes today trying to find a specific lot in their archives w/o success. It's referenced in their current auction.

Why is it such a morass? imageimage
Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.

Comments

  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience they have got to be one of the most difficult to search.

    I never had an easy search time and is it me or did they stop showing the images of past coin auctions a year or so back?


  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you are welcome to take over as lead archivist. Let me show you your office...

    image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭


    OMG!!!! It's times like this when I see this kind of picture I am sincerely grateful to the Bill Gates
    of the world for paperless orginazationimage

    That pic gives me the willies !!!!!






    << <i>Well, you are welcome to take over as lead archivist. Let me show you your office...

    image >>

  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Heritage handle more bulk, considering its bi-weekly auctions, as compared to Stacks-Bowers? Heritage has a very, very sleek and nice auction archival system.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "difficult" would be one of the biggest understatements I've felt regarding Stack's searching abilities.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's beyond finding hay in a needle stack... Their rare coin sales page is a real joke too! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you think I am going to New York City to view the coins?

    My drive time plus viewing the cons in person is less than trying to search the stuff on their website?

    Plus I get the advantage of viewing in oerson.

    I did get a head start by looking at some of the coins at the FUN show.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus I get the advantage of viewing in oerson

    Oreville - I'm not sure that's allowed! image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dewey Decimal System and microfiche would be more efficient

    MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is going to compete on the internet with Heritage. They have a platform that took many years to develop.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the coin... & leave the research to someone else. image
    You could have practiced putting in the office for 30 minutes.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options


    << <i>Spent 30 minutes today trying to find a specific lot in their archives w/o success. It's referenced in their current auction.

    Why is it such a morass? imageimage >>



    The new search that they inherited from B&M is junk. The older Stack's site still is up and search works, but the pictures are now gone. Stacks Legacy site
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I've found that since they joined ranks with "Bowers" the archive has gone missing. I was able to research their archives easily before the merger. A call to their customer service department could lead you in the right direction.
    Paul
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I agree the StacksBowers search feature is lacking big time.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    From experience; the search does not return ALL of the results either. I have searched for a type of coin and then can pull up in their auction archives several of the given type that the search missed.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Nobody is going to compete on the internet with Heritage. They have a platform that took many years to develop. >>



    But they have taken away many of the enlargement features in past auctions. I click to see the bigger pictures and it doesn't happen. That makes their archives useless if you want to compare quality coins to the ones you might buy in the future.

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way: The current Stack Bowers web computer capability is about where we are in most of Medicine with most of our governement mandated electronic medical records. These mandates are wasting huge amounts of money and are killing our productivity. In other words, most of the available computer systems being sold for a lot of money to hospitals are barely functional and cost huge amounts, despite their flaws. We are continuing to beta test the junk out there and will for years to come by the looks of things. The picture of the lady at the desk above is a great metaphor for our systems.

    Heritage has done it right and is how they have their system would be a dream to the medical community. Think of computers that you could use to supplement and optimize your medical activities and how much more efficient and productive we would be. Something like iTunes with simple interface and word finding etc literally shames medical computers out there.

    So, give them time. Heritage has a huge head-start and has spent zillions on getting where they are. Me, I will continue to struggle with the suboptimal systems we must use.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    shishshish Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This.

    "difficult" would be one of the biggest understatements I've heard regarding Stack's Bowers searching abilities. image
    Liberty Seated and Trade Dollar Specialist
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    IOW, Dr. Pete, the Government excels in turning Au to Pb. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭

    I agree. Stack's website is the most difficult numismatic site I've ever tried to navigate. Extremely frustrating.


    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file