Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hesse Darmstadt Toner

Bet this one is not going to go on the cheap ...

1904 Hesse-Darmstadt 2M PCGS PR65

Won't know the outcome of the uncirculated example I sent into PCGS for at least another two months ... image

Steve
1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bet this one is not going to go on the cheap ...

1904 Hesse-Darmstadt 2M PCGS PR65

Won't know the outcome of the uncirculated example I sent into PCGS for at least another two months ... image

Steve >>

This doesn't hurt my eyes quite as much....................................

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one IS pretty spectacular.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>That one IS pretty spectacular. >>

Not to mention the decent price that it fetched ...

Happy Rock Wrens

Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another topic, IMHO, I do wish our hosts would retool their label fonts somehow so they relied a little less on abbreviation.

For example, the label on the coin in the OP reads, "Hess-Darm". That gets the point across, but it also looks a bit slapdash (at least to my eyes- I realize I might be in the minority or even alone on this).

I mean, look at what they do ATS with the labels for ancients, though NGC is also rather sparse at times on its regular labels:

Five lines of text! Two columns! And still quite readable. They wouldn't have to get so involved with most modern coinage, but maybe they could do better than "Hess-Darm", if you see what I'm getting at.

PS- I know they've got a little more room than that. They spelled out "Great Britain" here, even though they shoehorned the pedigree name onto the same line, which looks a bit weird. If they could do that, then surely they could've spelled out "Hesse-Darmstadt"?

Then again, they did get "Birthday" onto a third line in the OP coin's label. And since the advent of the big Secure Plus shield on the left side of the new labels, maybe they've got a bit less width to work with. Maybe I'm digressing too much. Wouldn't be the first time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin in OP, but probably nowhere as vibrant in hand. That seller juices the bejesus out of his photos.
  • I don't think you are digressing too much Lord M ... but rather a case of our hosts apparent light side bias where, for the most part, the current labelling system seems adequate.

I finally gave up on pursuing the British decimal sets I was working on in part because I was having to send back nearly half of the current year's mint set submissions for misidentification of 50p, £1 and £2 coins.

I have recently given thought to restarting my Canada $2 circulation strike set and decided to go with NGC on that one because once again our hosts apparently don't recognize certain varieties in the series. Were it not for already having started in some other sets that I currently have I would probably have started these ATS because of certain perceived deficiences here.

Happy Rock Wrens