Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm a sucker for a square hole

Sellers Images

if the hole wasn't square I wouldn't have yet another over-paid-for addition to my "junque" drawer

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Btw, I wonder what's going on by the date.
    looks cud-ish. I hope I didn't buy a fake!

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Looks 100%, killed and cooked by a rabbi, kosher to me!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice holey. Too bad the hole isn't at the top of the portrait instead of through the date, but aside from the hole position, I would call that very PQ for a holey. And if the Holey of Holeys can't pronounce judgment in that category, then what's left for him to do, right? image

The squareness of the hole is a plus. It gives it that aura of historical mystery, since it's pretty obvious an old square nail was involved there. The coin has great color and detail. So what if the hole placement isn't ideal? Nice pickup.

Oh- that reminds me, I still have the Spanish colonial stuff from my Holey Coin Vest to sell. Don't recall any square holed ones, though. There is a really nice 8R, and like yours, it isn't a Mexico City one. I forget offhand which mint it was from but I'm pretty sure it's dated 1800.

I just sold a square-hole 1731 Brit halfpenny and a few others with square holes.

Dunno what's going on under the date of your coin, there, but it looks interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    rabbis cook coins? imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is Guatemala, as it happens.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    This one looks like it has spent time nailed to a door

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what an unfortunate date to pick! Oh well, guess that is why the nice ones are rare and expensive...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... if the hole wasn't square I wouldn't have yet another over-paid-for addition to my "junque" drawer >>

Remind me to doctor all my holed coins into square-holed coins image seems it would be easily done

BTW, nice newp! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool piece.

A different era but I grew up near one stretch of the emigrant trail in California and we used to find square nails on our property, along with other remnants such as glass bottles.
  • Options
    My house was built in '47 and I have found square nails. You can still buy them, apparently ...

http://www.buildingmoxie.com/2010/07 (brief history of square nails)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>... The squareness of the hole is a plus. ... So what if the hole placement isn't ideal? ... >>

That's what the mohel said to the father after the bris that morning imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE