Home Precious Metals
Options

Buying vs Price / Having vs Not Having

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Hah..
I don't usually try to buy unless the price is lower or a good deal. So I was sort of hoping for $30silver and below with availability from local and pawn shops, but hey, that didn't happen. Not to mention the "broke from the Holiday and tax bill syndromes."

But I find I spend $100 here or $200 there, and keep hitting the cash machine. New gun, new toys, new accessories.. It adds up and in hind sight wish I bought more PMs. I'd still have them.
COA

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the guns you purchased, but I would assume that you still have those as well. Some of the guns are "performing" nicely. Ex: AR I bought in early Oct for $1300 is now 3k. Not a bad return, but not a realized gain as Im never selling image

While silver is still at these levels, I consider it "cheap"
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    One has to ask themself, taking long term & short term views into consideration...what am I, a bull, bear or steady eddy?

This is how how I define them.

Bull: Cash poor and Metal rich. Has some cash just not as much as you'd like because you want to buy more metal. Pounds the table calling for what seems like unrealistic goals of the metal. Wants others to buy into what they feel is going to happen.

Bear: Plenty of dry powder. Wants a significant dip to happen so you can back the truck up at a level you feel is a better entry point to cost avg. the metal you already own. Ultimately this person is a Bull in sheeps clothing. They want the same thing as the Bull, but bad mouth the metal with the hope it will cause selling, hence the lower value they are looking for to ultimately buy.

Steady Eddy: Has the powder to buy what you want when you want it, BUT is very selective in what "type" of metal you are buying. Has a nice balance of metal and powder. Not willing to go crazy on a special piece, but could purchase it if wanted to...and not on a credit card.

So one has to ask, what am I and what is the goal that I am ultimately trying to achieve? Once you figure it out, and STICK to what it is you're trying to do, you'll be at peace with yourself because at that point you have accepted the fact that you are accountable for what it is you're trying to do.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    forming a collection of coins and bars is a great savings program; you might eventually sell them for more or less than you paid, but the money will not be completely gone like it would if you just spent it, waterskiing or playing golf for example. Then again, those things are arguably a little more fun than opening a piece of mail and moving a metal bar from one box to another, maybe taking a picture of it in between. On the other hand, when you die, your heirs won't get your memories.

somebody's grandfather once said upon his deathbed,

"Son, I'm sorry there's no inheritance to speak of, for I have spent most of my money on women, booze, and gambling.... and the rest of it I wasted"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stackin' is Mackin' but life is for living. Don't sweat the expenditures, just keep focus.

I wanted to dump some powder on the xmas dip, but blowing up my old truck and getting a new truck prevented that. Now it's back to the slow and steady even though I would have liked a nice addition to the pirate stack....but I do like a new truck!
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm still closer to an inexperienced Bear then, POM. Buying only occasional and small right now.
    And I did want to see first if anything big changed with Obama in and open QE, but that didn't seem to change much.
    Still considering best to/if transfer IRA stuff over within my pm view of reality.

Have a new S&W M&P AR15. Paid $700 and If I got a great deal would likely sell it Whilst legal to do so, that is.
    Wonder if its worth $1500? I'm still amazed that my SS S&W 629 over doubled in price since I bought it.
    COA
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stackin' is Mackin' but life is for living. Don't sweat the expenditures, just keep focus. >>

True words brother...

BTW, I just got rid of my 629 classic... I just couldn't pass the deal up, neither of us could actually.

I figure the full sized 686 is a better fit and feel.

It's all about what the people want...