Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My latest purchase....George III at the gallows

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Greg. That's a neat one.

When I read the title of this thread and saw who had posted it, it I knew even before clicking that it was gonna give a pretty strong reading on my Cool-o-meter. (At least up into the double-digit kilofonzies).

While perhaps not of the caliber of one or two of DUIGuy's more intricate Napoleonic War-era pieces, it's pretty doggone nifty.

I agree with your assessment of what that was intended to portray, but I wonder why the artist chose to delineate the "gallows" with the same pattern he used to engrave the "noose"? It certainly does look like rope, but I'd have sketched the gallows a bit differently.

Ah, but that's the thing about folk art, ain't it? It's quirky.

It's interesting to see how often Cartwheel coppers were used as host coins for love tokens and other engravings. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, since they had a lower face value but nice big surfaces to work on, and maybe copper was easier to engrave, being a bit softer?

I like it, needless to say. I think a collection of engraved Cartwheel coppers would be a fascinating subset.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the enhancement was made by an Irishman.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the enhancement was made by an Irishman.

image >>

One wonders about these things, indeed.

I'd wager Mad Georgie Three had his share of detractors in Scotland, too. Though Culloden happened on Georgie Two's watch, by the end of the century there were still Jacobite stirrings, weren't there?

A fair number of Cartwheels made their way to this side of the pond as well, and we all know what a majority of folks in the Colo- uh- States thought of Georgie Three, right? image

Even after the Revolution, you had the War of 1812, which is probably when lots of those were clunking around in commerce over here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    another theory: could have been done in Australia penal colony......many of these cartwheels ended up there (proclamation coinage) and I have seen a large number that underwent some type of post-mint alteration

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, being caught with this novelty on your person a couple hundred years ago would have been considered high treason, punishable by death

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    You all mean to say that there was dissension in other of GB's colonies toward George III other than in the United States?image
    Paul
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was US graffiti too!, cool piece never the less

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally image

But THIS

<< <i>...Cool-o-meter. (At least up into the double-digit kilofonzies >>

made me howl with laughter. Especially as my 10 year old said 'I don't get it'.

Kilofonzies!!! Love it!

Cathy