Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Curious hexagonal medalet with old-head Victoria and heart... any info?

I've had this a while. Always thought it was pretty neat.

It's got the old head, so one would assume it was struck after the 1887 Jubilee, most likely circa 1890s to 1901.

Beyond that, I haven't got a clue to its story. I've never seen another. Have you?

Is it perhaps a memorial medal struck after her death in 1901?

It's at home and I'm at work, so I can't measure it right now, but generally speaking, its maximum diameter is roughly that of a US nickel, give or take.

Images were done on a flatbed scanner.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Gaming token?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I didn't consider that. I thought the heart might be a memorial thing from 1901.

But now that you mention it, it's also a playing card suit...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm. I didn't consider that. I thought the heart might be a memorial thing from 1901.

But now that you mention it, it's also a playing card suit... >>

I was thinking "Queen of Hearts" and now I have that crappy song from the early 80s in my head!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm. I didn't consider that. I thought the heart might be a memorial thing from 1901.

But now that you mention it, it's also a playing card suit... >>

I was thinking "Queen of Hearts" and now I have that crappy song from the early 80s in my head! >>

Being a child of the early 80's (ex-Class of '84), I thought I knew right away which one you were talkin' about. Stacey Q. (I scared myself by knowing the artist.)

But no, that was "TWO of Hearts".

• Options
    Nope, came along a bit before that, might have even been late 70s

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Juice Newton I think

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com