Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Tom Brady the new Peyton Manning and...

gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
are the Patriots the new Atlanta Braves? Based on the last 8-9 years, it sure seems that way. Brady will most likely end up with more titles than Peyton Manning, but he sure has struggled the last five years or so in the playoffs (with the exception of the Pats matchup with Tebow last year). Just a great regular season team that gets figured out in the playoffs.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't see the Pats as being all that talented especially with injuries. To me...no surprise the Ravens won the game. More talent on the Ravens team. Straight up more athletic.
  • Options

<< <i>I actually don't see the Pats as being all that talented especially with injuries. To me...no surprise the Ravens won the game. More talent on the Ravens team. Straight up more athletic. >>

I'm with you, I don't know why the Pats were favored by 8/9 points in this game...shoulda woulda coulda wagered, but didn't!
  • Options
    Case in point- Brady has been vastly outplayed by Flacco in their last 2 playoff match ups. I'm still waiting for that vaunted hurry up offense to show up. Plus terrible clock management at the end of the first half.

I can't wait for what Bill Simmons' has to say in his article this week as Bernard F. Pollard took out another Pat.
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridley doesn't take that hit to the head he doesn't fumble and they probably would have scored making it 21-20 Ravens, Pats were rollin. One play can make all the difference. Life goes on and I'm still wearing my Pats beanie to work tomorrow.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    They have not won since being busted for recording signals and walk-throughs. Maybe the cheating helped them more than people thought.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<That's assuming quite a bit considering the Patriots were around midfield when that fumble occurred. As for Brady, he did not look good at all. For the most part, he wasn't pressured too badly, though you have to give the Ravens secondary their due. However, there was at least a half dozen to maybe as much as ten plays where Brady just flat out missed a relatively open receiver while sitting pretty in the pocket.>>

The Ravens scored a TD on that turnover, that's why I'm calling it the play that changed the game. Yes, I'm assuming the Pats would have scored, making it 21-20 Ravens. I thought going into this game it was going to be decided by a FG. More importantly I hope Ridley is ok. I did notice the Ravens like to hit with their helmet.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    So does Brandon spike image
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>are the Patriots the new Atlanta Braves? Based on the last 8-9 years, it sure seems that way. Brady will most likely end up with more titles than Peyton Manning, but he sure has struggled the last five years or so in the playoffs (with the exception of the Pats matchup with Tebow last year). Just a great regular season team that gets figured out in the playoffs. >>

Five years puts us back to spygate.....oh and then Brady did start dating Gisele about 5 years ago, too.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They have not won since being busted for recording signals and walk-throughs. Maybe the cheating helped them more than people thought. >>

+1
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarterbacks (like presidents) get both credit and blame that they do not deserve.

With the above premise in place, it could be said that Brady has demonstrated that he can no longer win the big one (0-2 in his last two Superbowl appearances) and is regressing since he did not win the AFC Championship this year.

One could also say that absent the "tuck rule" and "spy gate", Brady might not even be included in the discussion of who are the "best quarterbacks".

Of course, I would imagine that if Brady became a free agent, he would be pursued by multiple teams that would be throwing gazillions of dollars at him to sign up to play for them (which would still probably be less money than what his wife makesimage). Simply because he is really, really good.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Quarterbacks (like presidents) get both credit and blame that they do not deserve.

With the above premise in place, it could be said that Brady has demonstrated that he can no longer win the big one (0-2 in his last two Superbowl appearances) and is regressing since he did not win the AFC Championship this year.>>>

Agree wholeheartedly with that first statement. And with that first statement in place, one could say that Brady led his team to a TD with 2 minutes left in SB42, and had his defense made any one of the 3 plays that could have ended that game on the Giants final drive, Brady would have 4 titles. And if Wes Welker could have held onto that pass in SB46 (a game where Brady set a record with 16 straight completions), Brady might have 5 titles, and would undoubtedly go down as the best QB that ever lived.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jdip9:

Your words are very true.

There is simply no agreed upon measuring stick for determining who is the best.

However, if one chooses to evaluate how great an NFL QB is by looking solely at how many Super Bowl rings he has, then Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw are the greatest ( both with 4 rings out of 4 SB appearances) and Jim Kelly is not so great (0 rings out of 4 SB appearances).

Eli Manning is the only other active QB with more than 1 SB victory and no losses. If he wins 3 more Super Bowls with no losses he will pass Montana and Bradshaw as the greatest.

Brady and Elway are the only QB's who have started more than 4 Super Bowls (each started 5).

Brady is 3-2 in the Super Bowl and had a few plays gone the other way he could easily be 5-0.

Elway on the other hand is 2-3 in the Super Bowl and there is no way a few plays going the other way would have given him a 5-0 record [Denver lost 42-10 to the Redskins and 55-10 to the 49rs in one sided blow out snooze fests in the 1980's].

The lack of any agreed upon measuring stick does promote spirited debate over who is the greatest.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I have to agree with the OP, I hate too but it is what it is.

#1 I truly believe that we choke in big games for whatever reason but we do, maybe its Belichek and his philosophy of trying to do too much with his play calling rather than basic football.

#2 Our Defense is not good enough to be a championship squad, it just isnt.

#3 Giselle Bundchen has transformed Tom Brady into a different person than what he was before her, I think he is still outstanding and wants to win but I also think his mind is elsewhere unlike before.

Bottom line we had a great run and we will still be a great football team but we are not champions anymore image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At this point I have to agree with the OP, I hate too but it is what it is.

#1 I truly believe that we choke in big games for whatever reason but we do, maybe its Belichek and his philosophy of trying to do too much with his play calling rather than basic football.

#2 Our Defense is not good enough to be a championship squad, it just isnt.

#3 Giselle Bundchen has transformed Tom Brady into a different person than what he was before her, I think he is still outstanding and wants to win but I also think his mind is elsewhere unlike before.

Bottom line we had a great run and we will still be a great football team but we are not champions anymore image >>

+1

I think Paul has summed it up rather perfectly..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i><<<Quarterbacks (like presidents) get both credit and blame that they do not deserve.

With the above premise in place, it could be said that Brady has demonstrated that he can no longer win the big one (0-2 in his last two Superbowl appearances) and is regressing since he did not win the AFC Championship this year.>>>

Agree wholeheartedly with that first statement. And with that first statement in place, one could say that Brady led his team to a TD with 2 minutes left in SB42, and had his defense made any one of the 3 plays that could have ended that game on the Giants final drive, Brady would have 4 titles. And if Wes Welker could have held onto that pass in SB46 (a game where Brady set a record with 16 straight completions), Brady might have 5 titles, and would undoubtedly go down as the best QB that ever lived. >>

You could also say that if it wasn't for the tuck rule and a shanked 32 yard kick by Cundiff last year that Brady would have only appeared in 3 Super Bowls, winning only 2.
  • Options
    I feel the Pats best team was the 2004-2005 version that beat a very good Eagles team in the Super Bowl...it's been downhill since then. Although, I still can't believe they lost to the Giants in 2007-2008.