Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1966 Doubled Die Obverse SMS Kennedy

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found this in a SMS set and was a bit surprised at how dramatic the spread is and how little is said about this variety. Images show very substantial profile doubling and easily visible to the naked eye. I believe this is a DDO-001 as listed in Coneca. Interesting variety.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...great notching on the "d" image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are actually quite a few different DDO's for the 1966 SMS Kennedy Half-Dollar. some get attributed with a number, some get attributed as "Doubled Profile" and still others get called "Minor Doubling" or something like that depending on which TPG you submit to. the coin I submitted to NGC was called a "Doubled Profile" even though it has visible doubling on the obverse lettering in addition to the portrait. for the most part the doubling is to the South.

this Variety is sort of like clashing on 3CN's-----sometimes a coin with no doubling can be harder to find.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there are actually quite a few different DDO's for the 1966 SMS Kennedy Half-Dollar. some get attributed with a number, some get attributed as "Doubled Profile" and still others get called "Minor Doubling" or something like that depending on which TPG you submit to. the coin I submitted to NGC was called a "Doubled Profile" even though it has visible doubling on the obverse lettering in addition to the portrait. for the most part the doubling is to the South.

this Variety is sort of like clashing on 3CN's-----sometimes a coin with no doubling can be harder to find. >>

True.

CONECA lists 18 1966 Kennedy's with Light to Strong doubling on the Profile. The trick, is in figuring out which one you've found as not all are the same and this can be a frustrating exercise!

BTW, plenty has been written about the 1966 DDO Kennedy's.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I found one a couple years back and took some close up pics.......Nice find image

1966 sms
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... looks like the same coin!! Thanks.

Pat
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The profile doubling (which appears to be separate from the motto doubling) is found frequently enough that I believe it's from a doubled working hub. The doubling in the motto is of a different Class than the profile doubling and can be found with many different strengths in conjunction with it. There are 37 different DDOs listed in CONECA. I believe Die #19 is the strongest and one of the rarest.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Die #19 is the strongest and one of the rarest.

I have always wondered how "Die #19" is arrived at. my assumption is that when a researcher starts out and finds a DDO it will be called Die #1 and when another different set of diagnostics is found on a coin it's called Die #2 and so on. is this correct or is it something else??
  • Options

<< <i>I believe Die #19 is the strongest and one of the rarest.

I have always wondered how "Die #19" is arrived at. my assumption is that when a researcher starts out and finds a DDO it will be called Die #1 and when another different set of diagnostics is found on a coin it's called Die #2 and so on. is this correct or is it something else?? >>

Your assumption is correct unless a hole needs to be filed. Example: the next, if there is a next, 1970-D Kennedy half dollar DDR will be the DDR-005 to replace the one that was listed but turned out to be just a die stage of an already listed DDR.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    By the way, NGC is calling this one a fs 106 or die 20 as it is there now. I made it real prety and am hoping they slap a 67 cameo grade but it might go regualr ms 66 as they are real tough on that designation these days.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i found a ddo-14 recently. there is some strong doubling on these suckers

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file