Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Big 6 Sports Games - which includes their Mantle game and Verne Gagne's Wrestling game

Hi everyone - can't believe I've been here 9 years! Thought I would show one of my latest games I've wanted for some time which will appeal to the "wrestling fans" here also.

Big 6 Sports Games- Gardner Games & Toys Co. - c1960s

First - here's an ad from a 1960 toy catalog - Big Six 6 Sports Games Set which included Mickey Mantle's Baseball, Verne Gagne's Wrestling, All Star Football, All Star Baseball, Stock Car Races, Championship Golf.

That's pretty righteous! 6 games for $2.98! About what we paid for a monopoly game alone back then.

The main board has the Mantle and Bkb game:

The instructions are on the underside of the cover - which has no tears - a plus! There's no parts list - so - until one tries to play all the games - I'm not sure how complete the game is - but it appears to be complete.

Here's a pic of a couple of the included "boards" - actually, I wish they had made a nice baseball diamond board - as you can see, the diamond is incorporated in the spinner.

The mechanism of play is the spinners except for the Mantle game which also has a colored die.

This will display very nicely with the Mantle game - I checked ebay and couldn't find any of the other Gardner games - so I wonder how scarce they are?

I did see the Gagne game on ebay a while back - but it was a beater. I did find this one on the net and it's in nice shape:

I've got others and did pick up a neat lobby card of Crazylegs - 1954 - may post later. Thanx for viewing!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Mike,

With the Mickey Mantle game in that set, I would think it was a big seller back in the day. Too bad the age limit is 66. image

Since I am a wrestling novice, was Verne Gagne "the guy" back then?

Thanks for sharing Mike!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Neat game... it's odd I don't remember it; they must have had low sales or were a regional company?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    As always great stuff Mike!

Congratulations on 9 years!

Robert
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As always great stuff Mike!

Congratulations on 9 years!

Robert >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    love the graphics on these games. and that vern gagne wrestling game is very neat indeed.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I have seen the Verne Gagne game but did not know about the others and how they were all related. Great info!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the kind words guys!

Here's the Mantle game as a "single" - hard to find with all the parts.

The two items often times missing? The photo and the stat card - which also dates the production of the game.

Mike
  • Options
    I didn't realize Mickey Mantle played in Kansas City for a little while. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some old uniforms or gear of his out there. ha!
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I have that huge Big 6 game and a few of the single Mantle games.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't realize Mickey Mantle played in Kansas City for a little while. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some old uniforms or gear of his out there. ha! >>

Very good eye.

Back when I was a kid growing up in NYC - I would hear guys talking about how KC was the Yankee's own special "farm" team. Not very flattering for KC fans?
    Mike
  • Options
    Met Gagne in Iowa City, hated to hear how this happened...........

Hall of Fame

In April 2006, Gagne was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by his son, Greg Gagne. He is one of the few wrestlers to be in the WWE Hall of Fame, WCW Hall of Fame, Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame, and Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame.

[edit] Later life

Gagne was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease[8] (or possibly chronic traumatic encephalopathy caused by a lifetime of head injuries.[9]), and has been living in the memory-loss section of a Bloomington, Minnesota health care facility.[8]

[edit] 2009 altercation

On January 26, 2009, Gagne got into an altercation with Helmut Gutmann, a 97-year old resident of the facility, who fell and broke his hip. According to Gutmann's widow, Gagne picked him up and hurled him violently to the floor, then pulling back on his body, thus breaking his hip. She was not present during the altercation, however, and Bloomington, Minnesota police chief Jeff Potts said "The attack -- which was not a wrestling body slam -- happened quickly while the men were at a table, Bloomington Police Chief Jeff Potts said. It was more like "a push and a shove" and it caused Gutmann to fall."[10]

Neither man had any recollection of the incident.[11] Gutmann was admitted to the hospital, and died on February 14 from complications from the injury.[12] On February 25, 2009, the man's death was officially ruled a homicide by the Hennepin County medical examiner's office.[11] On March 12, 2009, the Hennepin County Prosecutor's office officially announced that Gagne will not be criminally charged as a result of the death. Because of Gagne's dementia, he lacked the mental capacity necessary to have intended to harm Gutmann.[10]
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike! What up! Your collection must be awesome now and covers so many different things.

You ARE the man.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Mike! What up! Your collection must be awesome now and covers so many different things.

You ARE the man. >>

Hiya Dan!

Damn glad to see you and thanx for the kind words.

Are you coming back to collecting? You sold your 78T set - correct?
    Mike
  • Options
    RIP Mr. Gagne
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't realize Mickey Mantle played in Kansas City for a little while. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some old uniforms or gear of his out there. ha! >>

Very good eye.

Back when I was a kid growing up in NYC - I would hear guys talking about how KC was the Yankee's own special "farm" team. Not very flattering for KC fans? >>

I recall this as well. Maris had a stint there as well.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    At the time Mantle was with Kansa City they were a Yankee farm club.
    In 1951 they were still the Philadelphia Athletics in the majors. When they moved to Kansas City from Philadelphia they would trade their best players to the Yankees.