Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2013 National Roll Call!

Ok, we are more then half way through January. and just shy of six months away from The 2013 National in Chicago this year.

Who's going?
Who's getting pumped?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Who's going? ME
    Who's getting pumped? ME
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on it. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I am going. This will be my first one.
    I would love to hear suggestions for places to stay, places to go other then the National (my wife is going), how much to bring, how to take on the National as a whole.
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I'll be there!
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    4th in a row. Can't wait
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • I am going!!!
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to go but can't. Instead, occasionally there is a card show down the street from where I live. I call it, "The Local." it's everything the national is... except it sucks!
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there for the 3rd time in the last 4 years(missed last year) and yes I am already getting pumped.....

<< <i>I am going. This will be my first one.
    I would love to hear suggestions for places to stay, places to go other then the National (my wife is going), how much to bring, how to take on the National as a whole. >>

I haven't been to Chicago for the National so I'll be listening to other people's thoughts that have been there before. Is it better to be closer to the convention center or closer to downtown? It was much more convenient to be near the convention center for Baltimore, but the convention center is located in a more downtown location there. My wife did some sightseeing during the day and we would go out to dinner at night. Lots of good steak places in Chicago from what I remember the last time I was there. We did get tickets for the Nationals while in Baltimore (the Orioles were out of town) so we may try to get Cubs or White Sox tickets depending who is in town that week.

I found it worked best for me to hit the show hard in the morning and relax after filling up on lunch. Of course my focus is pretty narrow so I was able to cover most of the floor pretty well during the morning. I would note the dealers that had what I was interested in and would continue to visit them in the afternoon in case they made any purchases during the day. As far as money, I brought as much as I could. image

Hope others chime in with their thoughts.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • There are lots of reasons I would love to go to the National this year. I have never been to Chicago, I would love to go to a game at Wrigley Field, I would love to wonder around the floor at a National, autographs, I could go on and on...But if I go, the main reason would be to meet some of you all, hang out, have a beer, maybe two and talk sportscards.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Hey Eric. Glad to hear that you will be there! We have our booth reserved and paid for, so we will definitely be there. Please make sure you come find us- Dad and I will look forward to catching up with you-- he often asks me if I've talked to you and how you're doing!

And for all the new friends I've made here at the forum- please come by so we can meet in person! It should be a fun 5 days!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man, I would LOVE to be able to make it. Not sure if I can but I will try hard. Like has been already said, I would have as much fun finally meeting all of you guys and hanging out sucking down a few cold ones as I would scanning the floor for cardboard gold.

The one and ONLY National I went to was the FIRST one in Atlantic City ... TWENTY-FIVE years ago!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Mark (Cincyredlegs) asked me this very question a few days ago. I sent him this link and asked where everybody is staying.

LINK
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • I'm going this year. It will be my first one ever and I can't wait to see what its all about. That and I would love to meet up with most from this board who end up going.
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I will be there.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • My 15 year old son and I are going this year for the first time. We are really looking forward to it. We attended the Chicago Sun Times show in November (our first big show) and really enjoyed ourselves. Met a few board members as well.

Paul
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    When I get my Pathology reprorts back next week and all is good as is speculated by my Doctor.I WILL BE THERE.I am making my reservations at the Hilton Rosemont as soon as I get my reults back.Taking the Amtrak out of Birmingham Michigan to Chicago.I do not like driving in Chicago.
    I want to meet many of you.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I will be there and already have taken vacation days scheduled for it. Since I live about a hour away, I plan on being there most of that time.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I'll certainly be going this year! This will be my 6th National (4th in Chicago, other 2 were in Cleveland). One of these days I might venture out to an East/West Coast one, but have skipped them so far.
  • jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    my sister lives about 15 miles away in oak park, so i'm gonna try to make it!
  • I will be there setting up with good friends again, for the 10th+ yr. We will have a lot of pre-war at our tables as usual. Not sure about a dinner this year. Still deciding if I want to deal with it again image.
  • I will be going this year.It's only about a four hour drive for me so I can't miss. I am staying at the Hilton across the street.

• << <i>I will be there setting up with good friends again, for the 10th+ yr. We will have a lot of pre-war at our tables as usual. Not sure about a dinner this year. Still deciding if I want to deal with it again image. >>

Leon,

Raven and I are coming just for the Dinner, so you better do it!!image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there. I'm gonna be saving up from now till then, and hope to get my hands on the best 1954 Aaron in a 6 I can find. I live in Milwaukee, so it's only an hour drive. I only need to spend one day there, most likely Saturday.
  • Afetrnoon,

My 16 year old son and I will be there, this will be our 3rd, one in Baltimore, one in Chicago. Planning on Weds. afternoon though Fri. or Sat. Going to be setting aside 20% of all E-bay Sales between now and end of July just for this trip.

Hope to meet quite a few more people from here this year and do some Ripping at Steve's Booth. Hope he has some 86 Fleer basketball to Rip, still have never had the Rush of pulling an MJ from a pack!!!!

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I am local (western burbs) so I will be there. Look forward to meeting some of you.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there. Only 80 miles south for me so it's an easy drive.

Jeff
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be there setting up with good friends again, for the 10th+ yr. We will have a lot of pre-war at our tables as usual. Not sure about a dinner this year. Still deciding if I want to deal with it again image. >>

Leon,

The dinner was one of the highlights of the National the last time it was in Chicago. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to attending again. So I hope you are able and willing to do it again.

Thanks

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • I am planning on taking my 12 year old this year. This will be both of our first time. I cannot believe I am going to share my first time with my son
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian

<< <i>I am planning on taking my 12 year old this year. This will be both of our first time. I cannot believe I am going to share my first time with my son >>

+1,000

Collecting:

• << <i>

I would love to hear suggestions for places to stay, places to go other then the National (my wife is going), how much to bring, how to take on the National as a whole. >>

I haven't been to Chicago for the National so I'll be listening to other people's thoughts that have been there before. Is it better to be closer to the convention center or closer to downtown? It was much more convenient to be near the convention center for Baltimore, but the convention center is located in a more downtown location there. My wife did some sightseeing during the day and we would go out to dinner at night. Lots of good steak places in Chicago from what I remember the last time I was there. We did get tickets for the Nationals while in Baltimore (the Orioles were out of town) so we may try to get Cubs or White Sox tickets depending who is in town that week.

I found it worked best for me to hit the show hard in the morning and relax after filling up on lunch. Of course my focus is pretty narrow so I was able to cover most of the floor pretty well during the morning. I would note the dealers that had what I was interested in and would continue to visit them in the afternoon in case they made any purchases during the day. As far as money, I brought as much as I could. image

Hope others chime in with their thoughts. >>

Stay by the airport - that's were the convention center is located. The show is really not close to downtown and traffic can be a real pain to get into the city. I would recommend staying near the airport and if you want to venture downtown take public transportation.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Stay by the airport - that's were the convention center is located. The show is really not close to downtown and traffic can be a real pain to get into the city. I would recommend staying near the airport and if you want to venture downtown take public transportation. >>

Thanks Jasen. Will you be going to the show this year?

Collecting:

• << <i>I am planning on taking my 12 year old this year. This will be both of our first time. I cannot believe I am going to share my first time with my son >>

I shared my first time with my 13 year old boy in Baltimore 3 years ago.....................................Priceless......................., and Bmiller and Bporter need a shout out for the freindliness and awesomeness they extended to me and Him..and the next year in Chicago!!!!

Neil imageimage
  • Have an voucher from last year for this year's flight -- or have miles --- and have a friend who gets me a good rate each year on the hotel room. In other words, I'm looking forward to completing the 1983-2013 cycle.

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    In for sure. Last year was a blast.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Stay by the airport - that's were the convention center is located. The show is really not close to downtown and traffic can be a real pain to get into the city. I would recommend staying near the airport and if you want to venture downtown take public transportation. >>

Thanks Jasen. Will you be going to the show this year? >>

Yep, one of the days for sure... being only 15 minutes away I really have no excuses. I do hate paying the parking fee though!
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    i will be there i think this is my 5th in a row always a great time...i think i will be staying at the hilton again this time
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm not planning on going, but this is a good thread to share a trick on how to smuggle food/drinks into a card show.

Get an empty 800-count box. Label it with the name of some card set. You now have a box that will hold a foot-long sandwich (or smaller sandwiches), a lot of granola/protein/candy bars, or 2 cans/1 bottle of drinks. Line with napkins as necessary to prevent leaks and dampen noise, and to have napkins so you don't have food mess affecting cards when you eat. Repeat as needed for as much as you plan on bringing in. Then bring them in inside a shopping bag with other things you're taking to the show (price guides, inventory lists, cards you're trying to sell/trade, whatever).

Nobody at the door will ask to look inside those boxes, even if they are checking bags - if you're worried at all, tape them shut in several places.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    depends on money--doesn't it always....

my beautiful and talented daughter Alex will be entering her junior year at NYU Tisch School of the Arts this Sept....-mucho expensivo!

but she got cast for her 1st play off broadway this March so it's all good.

She does have a good friend in Chicago--so who knows
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Chicago this year, that might just be a yes!!
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Hey Eric,
    I will be there wearing my trademark Richard Petty shoes.
    I can't wait.

Logan
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    i will be there.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Booked my flight today!

WOOT!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there. I have been to a couple in Cleveland a while back before my kids were born. But this will be my first with my 8 year old son. I'm really pumped as he is starting to get into collecting more. My plan is to sell off a pretty decent portion of my collection to raise extra money for me and my son to both get something special. I'm hoping it will be a big bonding experi ence. He's a big Aaron Rodgers fan and I will be looking for a guy named Mantle. Hope we find what were looking for !
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • How exciting Eric! Ive been looking at flights for the past 3 weeks now but I haven't booked because the return flight leaves way too early in the a.m. Right now they are at only $238 but I'm still waiting for better schedules.

BTW - In case anyone is wondering - The National will be offering wi-fi for $9.99 a day for those who don't have internet on there ipad or whatever else you guys may use.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Yeah looking forward to bringing my 12 yr. old this year,he is so looking forward
    to seeing all the 86 basketball,of all things he loves 86 bb.I see alot of modern football
    busting in our room as well,2 things I would normally not be involved with but its for the boy/
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there for the week...
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in!

See you guys at the National! image