Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp from NYINC 2013: Anglo-Saxon hammered sceat

I almost forgot that I bought this, because it was the cheapest piece by far I bought for my collection. I love it very much, despite its relatively modest retail value.

From the dealer's web site:

Frisian Imports, Dorestadt mint (near Wijk bij Duurstede, Utrecht, Netherlands), c. A.D. 695 - c. A.D. 740), 'Plumed Bird' type, Silver Sceat or Sceatta (Penny), 1.26g., 13mm, Series E, Variety J, crude plumed bird with outstretched wings right, cross and pellets in the field, rev., pellet and annulet with trefoil of pellets above and below within square borders, (S.790K; Metcalf 190), well centered, good extremely fine, richly toned.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I like it too. Excellent.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I like that design.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is crazy nice. The crudity of these issues has never particularly turned me on, but I have always liked their "Dark Age" mystique. And man, that one is sweet, with the toning and all. Obviously a hoard coin, but I guess most of them come down to us from hoards. It's fun to wonder about what sort of historical events that coin was present for. I picture a bunch of guys in fierce Sutton Hoo-sytle helmets running around with broadswords.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.

I still like the broader flan pennies more, but I find these sceattas to be very cool.

At the just finished NYINC show, I saw a tome at Charles Davis' booth that had zillions upon zillions of sceattas listed. There were no standards or real central coinage authority then north of the Channel or in Frisia. Some of these are very rare, for now, but who knows what a future hoard will reveal...

Best of all is that many of these pieces are relatively modestly priced, and thus likely affordable even when I over-spend on other stuff. image

EVP

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coin. Do you have a registry for the set?
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool coin. Do you have a registry for the set? >>

Registry? Sure. I use Excel.

Most of my hammered stuff is raw, even the expensive pieces. They go by a different grading standard than what we're used to from PCGS, NGC or the ANA. I have to rely on good old-fashioned skill and common sense: reputable dealer (conservative grading, fair pricing), and look for problems (encrustation, cracks, chips), strike (detail, centering), and overall eye appeal.

John - I've known you for a long time. I know you and many others have these skills. The trick now is to rely on them too, as opposed to an over-reliance on inserts and stickers.

If ever you want to see my stuff, just PM me or email me and we can make arrangements at a future Baltimore show.

EVP

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Dorestad no longer exists, but was a very important trading settlement about 1500 years ago. I've been looking for a coin from there for awhile, never succeeded. I absolutely love the OP's piece image
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    That is a really amazing piece ... nice score.
  • Options
    Thanks, Paul.

<< <i>Dorestad no longer exists, but was a very important trading settlement about 1500 years ago. I've been looking for a coin from there for awhile, never succeeded. I absolutely love the OP's piece image >>

Dennis,

I see this stuff often (but not often in such superb quality and eye appeal). You should be able to find a decent EF piece, raw, for around $500 from CNG or York without much trouble. In fact, York had 3 or 4 of them at this year's NYINC show. All I ask is that you not go after a piece that I want. image

EVP

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Paul.

<< <i>Dorestad no longer exists, but was a very important trading settlement about 1500 years ago. I've been looking for a coin from there for awhile, never succeeded. I absolutely love the OP's piece image >>

Dennis,

I see this stuff often (but not often in such superb quality and eye appeal). You should be able to find a decent EF piece, raw, for around $500 from CNG or York without much trouble. In fact, York had 3 or 4 of them at this year's NYINC show. All I ask is that you not go after a piece that I want. image

EVP >>

Yeah I know they are relatively affordable. This, however, is not really my main collecting area so I have basically hold off on any I've seen until I know what type I'd like (and I haven't been looking that hard). I just think it would be cool to have one of the earliest pieces struck in present-day the Netherlands, but I would only want one.