Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1964 stand ups

Is anyone interested in trading 1964 stand ups? I am collecting the set in the PSA registry under the name nandndad, and would like to fill in the tough gaps without spending much dough. I have approx 30 doubles not listed on my set and would even be willing to trade some of my higher graded cards in my registry set to fill in gaps. For example- I wuld trade an Earl Battey PSA 8 that someone might need to upgrade their set, and take their lower graded Battey plus some credit toward a card I need and they might have dupes of. Thanks.image

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I made this set back 11 years ago in all PSA 8. This set was fun and challanging all at the same time. Here are four cards that I just got the grades back from PSA. If you need any let me know via PM.

Shane

20962955 NEAR MINT 7 1964 TOPPS STAND-UP BOB ASPROMONTE Card
    2 1 20962956 NEAR MINT 7 1964 TOPPS STAND-UP FRANK MALZONE Card
    3 1 20962957 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1964 TOPPS STAND-UP HARMON KILLEBREW Card
    4 1 20962958 NEAR MINT 7 1964 TOPPS STAND-UP STEVE BARBER
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I have all those already listed in my registry set. The Barber card is pretty tough and you should be able to get some decent value for it . Again thanks for the reply.image
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • that uncut sheet is awesome . how much $$$
    Topps Vault item. A printer's proof. The notes on it direct changes to be made

Al
    I remember when Topps Vault sold this back eight or so years ago. I was going to bid on the item until I saw all of the notes written on the piece. Boy that was a stupid thing to do as today I look at that and see it a completely different way. It is like art to me.
  • About 15 years ago I had the complete set of UN-PERFORATED PROOFS.

I still have the Kaline, of course. The Clemente brought over $400 on
    FEEbay at the time. I also have the progressive Proofs of Kaline
    Yellow, Black etc etc. One of my favorite Kaline items!

Tony
    KalineFan
    Very cool item Tony. I had about 20 or so cards that were not perforated as well but I don't recall if there were any star cards in that lot. I wonder if those non-perforated cards actually came in the packs? I don't recall any of those to have staining on the back.

Shane
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I recently sold the 64 Brooks Robinson stand up color film positive to a fellow Brooks collector...what a awesome piece!! I miss it...Besides the 68 action stickers the 64 stand ups are my second favorite oddball topps from the 60s!!!

Those unperforated Proofs came in only sheet form (PROOFS) with some having the markings as above shown
    and some did not. They were cut after getting out of the factory magically! image

Tony
    KalineFan
    Do the proofs (no markings) fetch more money then the regular issue?
    Tony
    I would believe that story. If I was a player collector I would not mind having a copy of both for my PC.

Shane
  • I'm looking for the Billy Williams in 7 or ungraded NM or better.

Deadweight - got a stack of cards that fill gaps in your set. sending PM.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • I feel kinda dense---but what does pm mean and how does one access it? Friends tell me I am a caveman-- I guess this might be a good example. Thanks.image
    PM-means private message-you send a message to another member by being logged in and clicking on the "orange lock"...hope that helps. Scott
  • Deadweight-
    From my many subs I have graded cards that will fit your '64 stand up set:
    Jack Baldschun - 6
    Norm Cash - 7
    Jim Gentile - 7
    Chuck Hinton - 7 and 8
    Juan Marichal - 7 and 8
    Willie Mays - 8PD (the yellow field is off yellow-green)
    Hal Woodeshick - 7

If other stand up collectors have needs please PM. I have about 20 extras with grades from PSA 4 toPSA 8.

You can suggest pricing or I can look up on VCP. The only card my set lacks is the Billy Williams.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Bishop - Can you provide the measurement between the players' nameplates, left to right and top to bottom? This seems consistent between each player whereas the players are different heights,making some look "taller" than others and therefore out of center.

This will really help in determining what is "centered" top to bottom.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
    The scan is from a photo and so there may be some distortion, but I can take the measurements you request, if I understand what you need. On the top two lines of players you want the measurement between the between the two yellow name plates top and bottom and then the measurement between the name plates of players on the same line side be side--right ? On how many players, lines do you want such measurements..all ? Or are you just looking for uniformity. I am out of town until 2-13 but will get you what you ask for when back

Al
  • I was hoping the uncut sheet was framed and hanging on your wall. By providing the measurement between the yellow player names we can learn the correct measure of what constitutes a "centered" stand up. Please let us know what you come up with. Thanks!
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
    It is hanging in my study just above my desk, and I have a set of them and some unopened packs and I asked for some clarification of your request, and after your 20 day later response I still do not understand your request....see my prior questions.

But Bob F and Doug often say I am dense and I respect their opinions greatly

Al

• << <i>It is hanging in my study just above my desk, and I have a set of them and some unopened packs and I asked for some clarification of your request, and after your 20 day later response I still do not understand your request....see my prior questions.

But Bob F and Doug often say I am dense and I respect their opinions greatly >>

I believe what he is trying to say is this-------if you measure your uncut sheet between the BOTTOM edge of Hank Aaron's name plate and the TOP edge of Ed Charles' name plate (the Charles card is inverted ), this distance, when divided by two, would be a perfectly centered card ( top to bottom ). This info would be helpful as each of the cards are different at the top but have a consistent landmark--the nameplate-- at the bottom. Left to right centering is easy, in my opinion, as you can measure on each card the amount of green on either side of the nameplate. This should work unless the card is under or over sized for any reason ( or the nameplates vary in size, which does not seem to be the case). Hope this helps....................by the by, if you or anyone else would be willing, I started this thread trying to complete my 1964 Standup set through TRADES. Anyone out there interested ? Needing Aguirre, Cash, Gonder, Hinton, A. Jackson, Marichal and Yastrzemski. Looking for cards in PSA 5-8. Thanks. Jerry
  • Jerry - Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Well put. Thanks for restating it in a better way.
    Bishop - I misread your answer about scans / photos, etc. I would enjoy learning more about this set.

Jerry, concerning trades - I have the Marichal in 7 and 8 and the Hinton in 7 and 8 and Cash in 7. I have upgrades on some of your lower graded cards in the main set. Please pm your list of any stand ups not listed in either of your PSA sets. I need the Williams to complete my set and will consider some upgrades to my set if the trades will also help you upgrade your set.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
    Back home. Will try to get it down and make measurements today or tomorrow. Will alos check my dupes

Al
    The only duplicate I have is Al Jackson. In decent shape but I know little about grading standards

The distance between the bases of Aaron and Charles...and Manle/Banks...is 6/16 or 3/8...but, below each base is a TCG CR and a printed in USA print line

The distance between the Mantle and Aaron base is 7/16..same for Mantle/Cepeda

Al
  • Thanks Bishop. That is the measure I've been wondering about for quite some time. It seems graders are fairly lenient on the top to bottom measure and tend to look at the edge of the TCG /Printed in USA as the threshold for MC with corners and color being the main factors for grading. I'd like to see them adhere to the T/B standard a bit more, even though they don't adhere to the standard for corners. In my experience any corner touch that causes the slightest bit of color loss will drop the card from consideration for an 8. Cards with older flip do show more corner wear than ones I submitted within the past 4 or 5 years.

And to Deadweight Jerry. Is it ok with you that this thread evolve into an active discussion on the '64 stand up set rather than stay focused on the request to trade out /up your excess stand ups? this set has great stars and while only 77 cards total, it's pretty tough to complete in high grades. We could all use a new thread to discuss the set, make new contacts, and B/S/T to improve our collection.

Here are the published standards:
    # NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint
    A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

*** Nope - gets an ST; Fraying = 7 or lower; no border so centering is only L/R (until now...)

# NM 7: Near Mint
    A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

***Again any staining is so obvious on the unprinted back that it gets and ST; yes, a corner may show a touch and loss of color, but not a "fray" and certainly not a bend or dent; some cards are more likely out of register - like the Groat - but most of what I've seen has been pretty good. Color saturation is inconsistent between grades but a blotchy yellow will earmark the card as PD or drop it. Not sure if 9's need to show that deep color to move up from an 8. (never had a 9)
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But Bob F and Doug often say I am dense and I respect their opinions greatly >>

Dense as the day is long. image
    Thanks for the verification Bob. Doug is busy down under. Says he is working.

Al
  • Scott--- would love to have more discussion on this set. For example, what are peoples least and most favorite cards in this set. I love the Clemente -- it was the first card I collected in the set and it is my favorite. Clemente was a great right fielder and to see him throwing-- versus the normal hitting poses-- is cool. The Norm Cash card (nothing against Cash collectors or Tiger fans) is my least favorite. It looks like someone drew in his face!?! I do not have this card yet and it will kill me to pay what I will have to for this valuable short print. .... And what about the exclusions to the set - as a Cardinal fan I would have loved Bob Gibson to be included. I know it was early in his career but he had 33 wins in '62 and '63 and over 200k's in each season. ........ and finally..... did anyone else see autographed cards in the 1964 Stand-up format of Pete Rose and Stan Musial listed on e-bay a few months ago? They looked awesome. One was sold by Probstein and I was unable to get any info from him on the card. It would almost have to be a Topps issue (but what year?, what product?) and while I have asked around, including e-mailing the winner of one of the cards, I have not heard anything........hope to see more talk on this set. Jerry
  • theirs a topps 1964 stand up file copy sandy koufax slabbed by beckett. topps sold these off many years ago.these are all 1/1 it was listed on bonanza.com
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether the unperforated cards are worth more than the perforated cards? Is there a real market for them?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    Does anyone know whether the unperforated cards are worth more than the perforated cards? Is there a real market for them?

Unperforated shouldn't be graded by PSA, but as with most cards there will be a market for the star cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set