Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp 1820 Bust Half! Will she cross?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
I bought this lovely 1820 Bust Half from Sheridan Downey. This was part of the collection of David Rutherford.
The coin currently resides in a small ANACS AU50 holder, but it was graded slightly higher by an excellent grader I know.

So would you send it in as a crossover or crack it out?

Pics by Lance.
image
image

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

  • Options
    i think NGC would be nicer to this coin than PCGS, just my opinion though!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.
    She looks like a solid 55 every day of the week.
    My guess is to leave her in the slab and she will come back a 53.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin...PCGS likes those colors on CBH's from what I've seen......However,

    ....DO NOT CRACK HER OUT!!!!

    Now why was this "blue woman group" toned 1835 accepted by our hosts? image


    image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not care. All of my numismatic coins are in PCGS holders (except 1!). I would cross with no min grade, which is as close as you can get to a crackout without crossing the line.

    Pics by Lance.
    Figured. image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I do not care. All of my numismatic coins are in PCGS holders (except 1!). I would cross with no min grade, which is as close as you can get to a crackout without crossing the line.

    Pics by Lance.
    Figured. image >>



    The one that is not is a $10 Indian right?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    Send it in to crossover. Its a beauty.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE this coin! image

    Definitely worth attempting to cross. image Keep us posted if decide to send her in!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep it right were it is, but that's just me. I'm quite partial to the small white anacs holder.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may cross, but I doubt you'll get an upgrade. I'd keep it in the holder, personally.
  • Options
    Nice coin! If it was mine, I'd leave it in the small ANACS holder, because I find that the grading is generally conservative. I also think the diminutive ANACS holders are rather cute (and are no longer made). As more are cracked out, I think the remaining holders will develop a certain cachet.

    I own an 1818 and an 1828 CBH that I've left in the small ANACS holders, even though PCGS is my grading service of choice.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Cross it in the ANACS holder. The coin is worth more money in a PCGS holder, AND then it can be placed in PCGS Registry Sets.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    Cross to PCGS with minimum 45. Tough date and a nice variety with a great crack.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options


    << <i>Cross to PCGS with minimum 45. Tough date and a nice variety with a great crack. >>



    I agree. No harm in taking out a little insurance. But I think you're in the clear. That's a nice piece.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    I would leave it as is, but as Mozin said, would like to use it in my registry.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would crack it in a NY minute. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it crosses with what appears as a scratch on the neck and in front of the neck.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you'll need to do cross at any grade on this one.
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭


    Nice PQ Bustieimage

    Leave in holder...bought the coin not the holder...even though prefer PCGS.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Crack it -- it has more potential as a raw coin if submitted to PCGS. Just my guess, though.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An XF coin with pretty toning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>An XF coin with pretty toning. >>



    I think it's definitely an AU coin. But will submit it to cross at any grade except genuine.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file