Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2013 Football Card Products are going to be horrible

I just looked at the Mel Kiper mock draft and other 2013 draft rankings. I see an awful lot of guys with OL, DE, S, and LBs next to their name. The top 2 QBs are Geno Smith and Matt "The next USC Flop" Barkley.

After two straight years of strong QB and Offensive star rookie classes, I guess we were due for a bad year.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    yes, it is. 2012 to me is the new 1984
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the 2013 Bowman on presale, so I had to see who is coming up in the draft. I like defensive stars but it is really hard for one to break through during a rookie year.

The only class that maybe worse from a hobby point of view is 2000 when the top QB was Chad Pennington.
    Mike
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked at the Mel Kiper mock draft and other 2013 draft rankings. I see an awful lot of guys with OL, DE, S, and LBs next to their name. The top 2 QBs are Geno Smith and Matt "The next USC Flop" Barkley. q]

I wrote about this in my blog post a few weeks back,..Barkley = flopskie again for a USC QB.

Quarterback U??
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Barkley could free fall into the 3rd round so I'm not sure he is in the same "bust" class at Leinart. He is listed at 6'2", but people I know that attended high school with him insist that he a tad taller than 6'.

Regardless I expect some really sweet deals on 2013 FB towards the end of the year.
    Mike
  • Options
    Halfway into the season, I have to admit that the 2013 draft class turned out better than I thought. While there is no Andrew Luck or Cam Newton, there have been many tier 2 rookies that have sold very well for me. Every Geno Smith and EJ Manuel that I had have sold for good prices. Recently Eddie Lacy and Gio Bernard have started to get hot.

The product this year has been cheaper than 2012 and it seems that the value per box is much better than in 2012. I bought half a case of Platinum and pulled autograph patch cards of most of the top rookies. Ironically I haven't pulled too many Eric Fishers (only 1) and no Luke Joeckels.

The skill players in the draft are stronger than expected, especially at the WR position. I have an order in for a 2013 Topps Chrome case and may buy another one after the product breaks.

Also a lot of people are saying that the 2014 QB class is going to be great. I don't see it. The top 3 - Bridgewater, Mariota, and Manziel - are no better than Geno Smith or EJ Manuel IMO.
    Mike