Home Sports Talk
Options

The darker side of Red Sox Nation as told by Tito Francona

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
Terry Francona: Sox image-conscious

Updated: January 16, 2013, 12:58 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Francona Book: Red Sox Owners Big On Image

Terry Francona's book describes Red Sox owners as image-conscious.Tags: MLB, Boston Red Sox, Terry Francona

NEW YORK -- The owners of the Boston Red Sox were preoccupied with sagging TV ratings and hired marketing consultants who urged the team to place a greater emphasis on "good-looking stars" and "sex symbols," according to an excerpt from a book co-authored by former Red Sox manager Terry Francona.

Francona described how he nearly walked out of a meeting he had in 2010 with majority owner John W. Henry, chairman Tom Werner and CEO Larry Lucchino after Werner complained about declining TV ratings on NESN, the team-owned regional network, and said, "We need to start winning in more exciting fashion." Francona said he began to rise from his chair, but general manager Theo Epstein, also present at the meeting, grabbed his knee.

Edes: Tito's Revenge

Ex-manager Terry Francona's portrayal of Red Sox ownership in his new book won't win them any fans, Gordon Edes writes. Story "A good move by Theo," Francona said in the excerpt released Tuesday by Sports Illustrated. "When Tom started talking about ratings, Theo knew I was getting ready to flare."

"Francona: The Red Sox Years" is co-written by the Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy and is scheduled for publication by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt on Jan. 22.

On Nov. 2, 2010, a group gathered at Fenway Park to review results of a $100,000 marketing research project the Red Sox had commissioned in response to the drop in TV ratings. The book stated the marketing report said: "(W)omen are definitely more drawn to the 'soap opera' and 'reality-TV' aspects of the game ... They are interested in good-looking stars and sex symbols," parenthetically citing All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia as an example of the latter. "They (the consultants) told us we didn't have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle," Epstein is quoted as saying. "We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We'd become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be." The book makes a correlation between that meeting and the team's subsequent acquisitions of All-Stars Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford, who were signed for a total of 14 years and $296 million. "In direct response to the pressure from his bosses and the sagging ratings,'' the excerpt says, "Epstein went to work to build a sexier team for 2011."

Gonzalez and Crawford did not last two full seasons with Boston. They were traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers last August along with Josh Beckett after the Red Sox fell out of contention.
Francona's contract was not renewed after the 2011 season, when the Red Sox lost 20 of their last 27 games, becoming the first team to lead by nine games in September and not make the postseason. He worked for ESPN in 2012. The Cleveland Indians hired him last October as their manager. Francona said the Red Sox owners refused to let the team play day games on final days of homestands because of television. "One thing the players were always asking for was getaway day games," he said. "The owners would never go for it. They couldn't have more day games because the ratings were already suffering, and that would have hurt worse." The book charges that the owners were reluctant to tell Francona they were letting him go. "If you don't know what you are doing about me, why am I here?" Francona is quoted as saying at a meeting with ownership following the 2011 season. "This is a silly meeting. If you don't want me, just tell me." The team announced hours later that it was not exercising Francona's contract option, which would have tacked on two more years. "It was at that meeting that he said that he had lost control of the clubhouse," Werner is quoted as saying, "that he was not the right person to continue as manager." Francona recalled the session differently: "I never said I lost control of the clubhouse. I said I hadn't been able to reach some of the guys."

Francona questioned the depth of the owners' passion for baseball. Henry's sporting interests have expanded to include the Liverpool soccer team, the Roush Racing Team, and a marketing deal with basketball star LeBron James. "They come in with all these ideas about baseball, but I don't think they love baseball," he said. "I think they like baseball. It's revenue, and I know that's their right and their interest because they're owners ... and they're good owners. But they don't love the game. It's still more of a toy or a hobby for them. It's not their blood. They're going to come in and out of baseball. It's different for me. Baseball is my life."
Francona told ESPN that Red Sox ownership won't come off in a bad light overall, but that the difficult conclusion to his tenure led to a similar tone toward the end of the book.

"The last chapter is hard because it was a hard ending," Francona said. "I'm sure there will be a thing or two that will piss somebody off that I didn't think would, but I've read it seven times and me and Dan made change after change because I wanted it to be good, I wanted it to be interesting and I also wanted it to preserve the clubhouse because I do believe in that so much."

Werner told ESPN via email, "Tito and we had unbelievable success together, and our focus is on 2013."

My personal opinion was that from John Henry down, the "team direction" was geared more toward the bottom line, not trying to right the ship that was quickly sinking. Thus, my "excitement" about the 2013 season is much, much lower than in previous years. Perhaps Tito's book will let more sunshine in on this subject. Imagine paying a smooth $100k for a "marketing report", and get what from it? Sexier players? Not to mention the incredible waste of $296m for Crawford and AGon? Insanity!!!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I think there are 2 sides to the stories written by former players/managers but I would be wiling to bet that Tito is probably being about as truthful as he could be, I dont doubt for a second that Red Sox owners are into it more for the business than anything else and thats fine with me especially if they try to buy championships because at the end of the day thats the #1 goal and as a fan I dont care how they do it either.

The other side of the coin and Im not sure how many of you will agree or disagree but in my opinion Tito was the majority of the reason we won those World Series in '04 and '7 BUT he is also one of the reasons for the downfall in his last Season.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really anything I did not know. I hated the Crawford signing from day one and felt like at that point the Red Sox became like the Yankees. Now they are overpaying for just average players. Look for the sellout streak to end in April if most Sox fans feel like I do.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I believe most owners of pro sports teams especially those based in the big cities and major media markets think that way to an extent. The thought is probably in the mind of every owner but the Red Sox ownership was more vocal about it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    All very true.

We just need to move on and hope for the best.

Managers get stale in their jobs after a few years and need to be replaced by fresh blood.

A very wrong choice was made in Valentine's case and it was corrected.

Who cares about the sellout streak except the owners!

Go with the kids and see what happens.

I watch every game from Albuquerque.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I read that article and it is so ****ing stupid that some in the BoSox brass thought it'd be cute to market to the "pink hats". image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars