Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Looking for honest and experienced Collector to guide me with a two generation family collection.

Needless to say, I know nothing about coins and coin collections. Recently, I was trust with my Grandfather's collection, which is quit overwhelming. I have decided to sell as much as I can and am looking for a "Mentor", so to speak! Of coarse, this person will profit buy helping me. I'm a very successful business person, just not with coins, and have done extensive research concerning this collection. I can say, from what little I have been able to piece together, it's impressive! So, I'm looking for an honest, trustworthy professional to partner with.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    post pictures, since most of us won't believe you, being this is your first post.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would depend on what you have...but I nominate Roadrunner as a trusted source. You may need to give a little more info. so we can help.

By the way....Welcome.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Many of us on here would be willing to help. Open a photobucket account and post a few pictures on here.
    Welcome!
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    seems you stumbled into the right place...there are many knowledgeable,honest coin folk here...good luck with your sale
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Any member would be happy to help. Where are you located approx.. This will help a long way in recommendations.

Welcome to our worldimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>post pictures, since most of us won't believe you, being this is your first post. >>

+1
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please share with us how you managed to find this forum, if you know nothing about coins or coin collecting. Depending on your answer, I may or may not respond to your request.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all image

You came to the right placed if you're sincere about finding a Mentor.

There is nothing this board loves more than a genuine "Help me figure out what I got" thread.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

<< <i>Please share with us how you managed to find this forum, if you know nothing about coins or coin collecting. Depending on your answer, I may or may not respond to your request. >>

Well this is collectors.com...

Please post pictures. We'd be happy to help.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Images please... thank you image

Scratch that, how about a list of the dates/mm and denominations??? That would help you out tremendously!

"It is what it is."
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Scratch that... again.

I'm probably one of the most honest & experienced collectors on these boards. You now knowing that, should just let me message you my shipping info and just send everything you got and I will give you the raw values. image

But seriously, there is a lot of experienced collectors/dealers on this forum that could help you if you aren't trying to pull a fast one... that doesn't work around here buddy!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    It might be easier if you deal with a reputable person in your area...certainly that could be a well known forum member. As others have mentioned with images or a list there are a lot of us that could and would assist for free. I live in Florida so depending on where you live I would offer my assistance as I am a full time dealer and that assistance doesn't mean you sell me your coins and I send a check but rather we could talk on the phone and get an idea of what you have and what your best method of liquidation would be.
  • Options
    Thank you...Photo's are forthcoming Rspectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    Thank you...! Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    Thank you, will do...Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    Northwoods of WI...Thanks, Jerry
  • Options
    I agree, Thanks Jerry...
  • Options
    Simple, researched it on-line and joined!...Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    Thank you, Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    Simple...! Researched on-line and joined...Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    As soon as I figure out how to post...! Thanks, Jerry
  • Options
    Be happy to...! but, I think it's going to take awhile...! Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    There is no fast one here...! Respectfully, Jerry
  • Options
    That was cold...! Buddy
  • Options
    I can personally fly with it, to you, for a lot less than shipping and insurance!...Look, my friend! I was just looking for some honest help, that would benefit both! Not some egotistical, what-to-be-has-been!
  • Options
    Look, this is a BST thread which you should not be posting so much on in one day! That's just first things first!
  • Options
    Help me out...! all my pics are to big? what do I need to do to post picks. Photo Bucket? Thanks, Jerry
  • Options
    Ok...got it
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>Look, this is a BST thread which you should not be posting so much on in one day! That's just first things first! >>

Really? Give the guy a break. He is not spamming coins in every post, he is learning the ropes for probably a brief visit once he finds someone to help. Your comment might give him a bitter taste in his mouth regarding the helpful nature of our hosts in these forums. What a cranky dude you must be.
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to help. Feel free to send me a message. Best of luck however this turns out.

Brian
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a Whitman Redbook and utilize PCGS online grading. These two mediums will probably answer most of your questions.
    Best of luck,
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Welcome,and where do you reside,many knowledgeable collectors and dealers willing to help you.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    If you have photos that are too big, just upload them to a google photo album and share it via link.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any members here live in the Wisconsin area?? If so, we could vouch for you on Jerry's behalf.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in wi and can help if needed. Some good dealers like kaminski coin in the dells, allouez coin in green bay and greater Milwaukee coin in brookfield
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I live in wi and can help if needed. Some good dealers like kaminski coin in the dells, allouez coin in green bay and greater Milwaukee coin in brookfield >>

Greater Milwaukee Coin in Brookfield would be a great choice.
  • Options
    buy the "red book" A guide book to united states coins, so you can get a very good idea what you have. Combine that with quick looking on ebay and hitting the "sold auctions" tab to see what people are paying for that particular coin. That will probably give you a very good idea as to what you are looking at.

Of course condition and things play a big part in coin prices but you will know where to go from there.
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Jerry
    Here are the photos you sent me.
    John
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Skye. When you are responding to a specific post, you should place their post in italics by cutting & pasting it into an italicized exerpt using the italics tool (shown as a button selection just below the Message Text: when you start a new post) and then type your own response in regular print.

To post a pic, you need the pictures stored somewhere and they need to be 50K pixels or less, which requires an imaging program or a paint program. You post a pic in a similar way to posting in italics, by putting the .jpg file in between the brackets of the picture tool (above).

After getting a Redbook as your reference, you can start going through the coins in order to identify any of them that might have significant premiums, but as you already know - an experienced dealer or collector can accomplish this much faster.

Looking at the pics that were posted already, the main value appears (thus far) to be in the Morgan Silver Dollars. However, a rare date or a semi-key date in excellent condition can also bring a healthy premium.

One thing that could be helpful - is there any documentation from your grandfather on the accumulation?

You are correct in assuming that this type of help won't be free, and you should expect to compensate whoever helps you with the project. Good Luck!!!!!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.