Options
Is this a scratch or something else? WARNING Big Pics
CoinZip
Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭
CoinZip
Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭
Comments
<< <i>Not a scratch - more like a lamination
>>
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
bob
My Original Song Written to my late wife-"Plus other original music by me"
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8A11CC8CC6093D80
U.S. Army Veteran 1/11 ACR Fulda, Germany
<< <i>The other possibility is a strike through of some other material that then decayed or crumbled away >>
I'd agree with this more quickly than I'd call it a lamination. The arc is simply too straight for me to see it as a lamination.
Keeper of the VAM Catalog • Professional Coin Imaging • Prime Number Set • World Coins in Early America • British Trade Dollars • Variety Attribution
<< <i>PCGS will grade it genuine unless you pay the fees for errors.
bob >>
I think that is the safer bet, although I've seen these graded without payment of the error fee. I know that doesn't answer your question, except to suggest the coin should make it into a holder at PCGS.
<< <i>Although I hate to contradict those already offering opinions. IMHO it appears to be more of a scratch, I'd say from a sharp edge, like a knife, that may have in turn had some of the "shaved" metal come off similar to a lamination. JMHO, and I could just as easily be wrong. >>
I agree with the scratch thought that continued to circulate for a little while and wore over the edges. Lamentations normally are not so smooth in shape or contour also inside seems pretty smooth.
It almost doesn't matter as being in a focal point they both affect the value negatively